Neapolitan Milk

Daily my children bring a Klean Kanteen of water to school to drink with their lunch, and throughout their day. Now that I have gone with this jar idea for packing lunches, I have decided to send some milk with them every once in a while for a treat. In the winter it will be hot cocoa that they can heat in their classroom microwaves. After touring all over Germany and Austria a few weeks ago, and seeing so many beautiful desserts, I was inspired to bring that creativity to the lunch box. This is fun milk with pretty layers that defrosts into a decadent, frosty “chocolate-covered-strawberry-sensation.”

Neapolitan Milk
2 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate, chopped
2 ounces organic whole milk
1 1/2- 2 T. sugar

Heat milk in microwave for about one minute or until almost hot.* Stir in chocolate and sugar until smooth. Add to blender and add more milk to equal 12 ounces. Blend. Pour in six 8 ounce jars. Freeze until solid.

4 frozen strawberries
1 1/2 – 2 T. sugar
enough organic whole milk to equal 12 ounces

Place strawberries and sugar in the blender and add enough milk to equal 12 ounces. Blend strawberry mixture until smooth. Pour evenly into the jars over the frozen chocolate layer. Freeze until solid. Top off with white milk, cover, and freeze.

*If you have a vitamix like I, no need to heat or chop the chocolate. Throw the chocolate, sugar, and milk in the vitamix and blend a few minutes on high.

Note– We use organic whole milk in our house. Use whatever milk you like, but this recipe was made with the whole stuff, so results may vary.

Also– If you do not have time for layers, you can simply mix it all together and freeze it that way, but then where is the fun in that?

More of my ideas…
Hot Cocoa Mix
Hot Chocolate Pods

1. Kelly
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

I love this idea! I bet the kids go crazy.

2. highplainsdrifters
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

too cool.

hey … how long can you keep reusing those lids? we've always used them for all manner of mid- and long-term storage, but just noticed that at some point the liner on the lids had started to wear away.

love the hot chocolate idea … just watch the hot mug!

cheers!

3. Biz
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM | Permalink

you are just such a great Momma! Love this idea!

4. FOODalogue
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM | Permalink

You're so creative…I hope the other moms are followers of your blog otherwise your children's classmates are going to have long faces.

5. Mimi
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM | Permalink

Great idea!
    Mimi

6. schnitzelbank
    Posted September 17, 2011 at 2:25 AM | Permalink

I'm calculating about 60 grams of sugar for this beverage. Insanity.

Posted September 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

Huh, I calculated 24.6 grams carbohydrates per 8 ounce beverage, no preservatives, no artificial colors, real fruit, and organic milk. Most commercial brands contain 27-45 grams carbohydrates per 8 ounces.

8. Karen | Divine Dinner Party
    Posted September 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM | Permalink

What a brilliant idea! Even adults would go gaga over these ūüôā

Will definitely shared this on StumbleUpon.

9. Miri Leigh
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! I'll definitely be trying this out!

10. Karen
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

They look yummy. I suppose they thaw in time for lunch, huh?

11. grace
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 3:29 AM | Permalink

as far as i'm concerned, this is equal parts healthy and decadent. great idea, great execution!

12. Kerrie
    Posted September 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

Sugar – one batch I eliminated all the sugar, and the other I only added about 1.5-2 tablespoons of maple sugar (real). Plenty sweet enough that way too ūüôā

So yummy and such a great idea, thank you. The little loves in my life are so excited about it.

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM | Permalink

Kerrie I am glad you are playing around with the sugar! With every batchI make I have used less and less and they have not noticed. I will have to try maple sugar- I do have some and that sounds ymmy!

13. Lisa
    Posted September 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

Sugar is not the enemy, high fructose corn syrup is! Huge difference!!

2 Trackbacks

1. […] Grilled Burgers with Special Sauce ¬†| ¬†Oven-Baked Onion Rings ¬†| ¬†Neapolitan Milks […]

2. […] Grilled Burgers with¬†Special Sauce¬†¬†| ¬†Oven-Baked Onion Rings ¬†| ¬†Neapolitan Milks […]