Tippy Top Peanut Butter Pies for the Lunch Box

May I suggest that everyone go 6 time zones east the weeks leading up to school because getting the kids up for the first day was a breeze. We were all up and ready to go by 7 am, a first for sure! If you have been hanging with me for a while, you will know that I am a lunch packing machine. Love it or hate it, we have to pack our lunches each and every day for the 180 day school year and this year I went with Mason jars and a double wine carrier as my kiddos’ lunch boxes. See? Wacko. Prior to leaving for Europe I “put up” a few jars in the freezer containing Teeny Tiny Baby Cinnamon Rolls and some stuffed to the brim with homemade mac and cheese just to give me a few free days until I could get some more lunches put up. Now that we are back I wanted to create a special treat for my children’s lunch boxes… Peanut Butter Pies.

Thumbelina helped me put these pies together. I would call these bit by bit pies.

You make the crust and let it cool, then you make the filling, and while that is mixing you make the ganache, and while it’s cooling, you do some laundry, read a book, or yack on the phone. Bit by delicious bit it gets done, and oh so worth it.

Look at that ganache! Filled all the way to the tippy top of each teeny tiny jar. That’s good enough reason to lick the lids right there. Worth the tongue cuts.

And it’s all for them. My adorables.

There’s Zuzu sporting his bright RED double wine bag. Yes I am warped, thanks for asking.

Tippy Top Peanut Butter Pies
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
4 T. brown sugar
3/4 cup melted butter

Mix well and divided evenly among one dozen 4 ounce mason jars, patting the crust down using the end of a thick wooden spoon. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely before filling with peanut butter filling.

1 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs
1/2 cup creamy all natural peanut butter

In a stand mixer, mix the above ingredients for 10 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Divided evenly over pretzel crusts.

3/4 cup heavy cream
2 T. butter
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Heat cream and butter in a microwave safe bowl for one minute on high. Pour in chips and let set one minute then stir until the chips are melted and the ganache is smooth. Top each pie with the ganache to just the top of the jar. You will have about 1/3 cup left of the ganache for another use. Screw lids on jars and store in the refrigerator. Makes 12 mini pies or one big 9 inch pie.

Note– The crust is very thick and the first spoonful is hard to crack through but once you do…yum!

Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs sent me several coupons to try their eggs for free so that I could make the creamiest peanut butter pie ever without fear!

I made up this recipe based on the filling in my Banana Split Pie– another great pie.

Don’t forget my Smucker’s Ice Cream Basket Giveaway– only one day left.

Happy First Week Back to School! What are you packing?

1. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:12 AM | Permalink

These look amazing and so fun to make!

2. EAT!
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

so did Zuzu take wine to school for his teachers the first day? Smart idea. Wish I thought of it.

Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:53 AM | Permalink

Naw- he is more of a rum and coke man;-)

4. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:09 AM | Permalink

oh my gosh, lucky kiddos! i want these for my lunch…maybe next week 🙂

5. Kelly
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

This looks so good! Yum!

6. chowbellaroma
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM | Permalink

What a cute idea!

7. Fallon
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Are their friends at school jealous?? I would be!

I think I may make these PB pies for my lunch for work. hehe

8. Biz
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

Such a great idea, as always! I would definitely love to meet up with you when you come to Chicago! I am an hour train ride away – I can totally work around your schedule, just let me know.

Hannah took the same exact lunch to school for years and years – hard salami sandwich on white bread, baby carrots and a bag of chips – try as I might I could not get that girl to eat anything else! 😀

Happy Friday!

9. Janie
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Wow..these look fun enough for a grow-up to want!

10. Miri Leigh
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness, these look like they are to die for! Thanks for posting!

11. Karen
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

I don't know anybody (in school or otherwise) who wouldn't love one of these in their lunch pail!

12. grace
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM | Permalink

these would be tasty in any form, but the adorable jars are a great touch!

13. Inspired by eRecipeCards
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

wine bags!!! Genius!

Iam wondering of all the glass came back intact. Not sure if my son's would have, and absolutely sure that a years worth would not have. But I do love the idea

14. Tiffany
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM | Permalink

do these freeze well?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM | Permalink

yes they do!

15. diana
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM | Permalink

Do i bake the Peanut Butter filling since it has eggs ?

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

I used pasteurized eggs for this recipe, so no baking required.

16. diana
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:46 PM | Permalink

Thank You for the speedy reply!

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM | Permalink

Sure! And if you can’t find the pasteurized eggs, I have substituted about 1/2 cup of sour cream or even cream cheese.

17. ColleenB.
    Posted October 1, 2014 at 4:01 AM | Permalink

Was doing some searching on preparing food in mason jars and stumbled upon your blog site and so glad that I did.

In place of the pretzel crust; could a person use a graham cracker crust instead?

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 1, 2014 at 7:21 AM | Permalink

Yes! Enjoy:)

One Trackback

1. […] The rest are in the bottom drawer of my cupboards just waiting to be used. I’m thinking that this recipe will make a debut during our parent/teacher conferences because we all need a little pick-me-up […]