We Fahrted in Germany

Fahrt. It evoked great giggles with our children anytime they saw the word Fahrt, meaning Journey or Ride in German. But alas, it could not be avoided for all over the roadsides were signs for Einfahrt, Ausfarht, and all other forms of Fahrting, making for more eruptions of laughter, and long minutes of Himself and I trying to calm their back seat laughter only to begin again as soon as someone spotted another Fahrt.

Talk about Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. We covered just about every mode of transportation on our great Summer 2011 Adventure.

The second I got into our little Opal Combi, I knew I was in trouble. It was a 6 speed manual with reverse where our first is, and 6th gear where our reverse is located. Menacing. I can drive a stick and am pretty good at it, but having to get up to speeds of 120-140 mph in a merge lane only 100 meters long into traffic travelling 200mph, did not tickle my fancy. Himself on the other hand was in his fast-car-loving-glory to the point I was pretty sure he imagined himself in a Porsche, and not a family sized combi. While I prayed and pressed my invisible emergency brake yelling, “I’m scurred” causing that little muscle in the side of his head to twitch, I must relent and say he drove like a pro.

We did have to stop often, at least every 90 minutes, as the driving was hard, or someone had a bloody nose, or barfed, or our sweet little baby girl had to tinkle- we nicknamed those moments as FRITZ HAS TO SPRITZ. We spent more Euros on that little girl’s “donations.” Yes you do have to pay to “go” in Germany.

Jet lag blessings. Silence in the back.

Zuzu on the back of Jürgen’s motorcycle. More praying on my part. Oh those ridiculous speeds!

We boated on the Königssee.

We trained across Germany. Twice.

And bussed Berlin.

But mostly walked. And walked. Mile after mile etched into our memories forever.

Life is a Journey, not a Destination. Gute Fahrt!

1. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:29 AM | Permalink

My kids' teacher is named Wilfahrt, I feel so bad for that woman! Sounds like you had a great time!

2. Big Dude
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:07 AM | Permalink

Even after 2 years of German in high school, I chuckled a lot about the fahrt's my first trip there. Looks like you had a good one.

3. Fallon
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:29 AM | Permalink

Fun!!! How long did you guys stay in Germany?

4. Neil | Butterfield
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM | Permalink

Pictures look great,sounds like you had a great time farheting around 🙂

5. vanillasugarblog
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:19 AM | Permalink

they do drive very fast there don't they?
    walking is the best way I agree as long as its not humid as heck.

6. Susan
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

You did have a gute fahrt!nnA wonderful memory for the kids. Thanks for sharing.

7. Biz
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

What wonderful memories the kids will have! OMG, I am the worst back seat driver, my foot is always on the imaginary brake – glad you survived those speeds!

8. Quirky Jessi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM | Permalink

If you can't avoid the word, might as well just go along for the fahrting. 😛

9. amy grace
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM | Permalink

Ha! That's funny! Looks like a fun trip! I remember being scared driving in England with my dad and his friend in a sports car, zipping around the road and through roundabouts. It was fun, but I was freaked out!

10. Karen
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

I would never be able to be a passenger in a vehicle there, much less be the driver! My foot would be thru the floor and I'd be having palpitations like nobody's business! Looks like you had a great time!

11. Mags
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM | Permalink

I am glad you had a great time in Germany (being from Berlin myself). But you do realize that you did not travel those speeds in MpH, but KMpH right?

12. Mimi
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM | Permalink

Looks like everyone had a good time fahrting around Germany.
    Mimi