A Tart Above All Other Tarts: Tartefillete

DSC02923-1.jpg

French Comfort Food. A tart graced with bacon, potatoes, and cheese- Camembert cheese that is, baked atop this tart, cream side down, rind side up creating a crisp topping, with the creamy cheese oozing down into all the nooks and crannies of the bacon and potatoes. I spied this tart in the America’s Test Kitchen Cook Book and decided to bake it up my way, using nutmeg as the major seasoning over thyme, increasing the bacon, then adding a drizzle of balsamic glaze, resulting in a tart that had a perfect balance of spice, smoke, and sweetness.

Tartefillete
1 Purchased pie crust, I used Trader Joe’s
12 ounces applewood smoked bacon
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
3 large golden potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
8 ounce wheel Camembert Cheese
1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 T. sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Press pie crust into a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. A 9 inch pie plate will work fine. Line crust with a piece of foil and fill with beans. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges start to go golden and bottom is set. Remove beans and foil and put crust aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove and place on paper towels to drain. Spoon out some of the bacon grease leaving about 1/4 cup grease in the pan. Add onions and potatoes and fry until potatoes are tender and browning. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Spoon potato mixture into the tart crust and crumble and sprinkle bacon over top. Slice wheel of Camembert in half to make two equal wheels, cut each wheel into fourths and place cheese side down over top of bacon. Place back in oven and bake another 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and rinds are golden. Let rest 10 minutes before removing from the tart pan. Meanwhile, heat vinegar and sugar over medium heat, stirring, until the fluid has reduced to a scant 1/4 cup. Drizzle over tart. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 8-10.

Of all the dreams I live and dream, family is the most important.

You will be missed my dearest Uncle Cliff.

“…and the living weep”

1. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM | Permalink

i am COMPLETELY drooling right now…tarts are one of my favorite things these days!

2. Big Dude
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

That baby looks outstanding

3. Penny
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

Oh my! My kind of tart for sure. Will save this recipe.

4. Sabrina
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. And your tart looks delish.

5. Anonymous
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

Thinking of you Robin Sue. Tender hugs to Auntie Josie. Ellen

Posted October 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Ellen and Sabrina- thank you so much. Such a sad time for us.

7. Biz
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM | Permalink

So sorry for the loss of your Uncle Robin! Hugs!

8. Ricki Lynn
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

I'm in SoCal, can you suggest a store for this Camembert Cheese? Thanks!

Posted October 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

Biz- thank you so much.

Ricki Lynn- trader joe's or in the cheese section at your favorite grocers. It is like Brie cheese but a bit softer. If you can't find it, try the Brie.

10. Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue! Of course, I've always paid strict attention when reading and rereading your delightful, and always yummy posts, but today was different. I felt sad when I read these words…."Of all the dreams I live and dream, family is the most important. You will be missed my dearest Uncle Cliff." Did I overlook something? What happened to Uncle Cliff?

11. FOODalogue
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

Do you deliver? I want this NOW.

Posted October 26, 2011 at 11:00 PM | Permalink

Debra- thanks for asking. My Uncle Cliff died after battling lung cancer for 5 years. Very sad, but he was an amazing man and will be so very missed by our family.

13. sophiesfoodiefiles
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Waw!! Your rich filled savoury tarte looks amazing & looks absolutely stunning!

Now, I would like to savour a big slice, thank you!!

BTW: I am sorry for your loss,… I will be thinking of you!