Best View of Chicago?

The biggest question here in Chicago, more so than will the Cubs ever break the curse and win a World’s Series again, is “where is the best city view?” I found it, quite by mistake and later confirmed by my tour guide. Through the floor to ceiling windows in the Ladies Room on the 96th floor in the Signature Lounge of the John Hancock Building are the most spectacular views of Chicago. Sorry gentlemen, this one is for us gals only.

Serendipity, one of life’s special little gifts. Something unexpected, out of the blue, and always well received. Yesterday was a terrible day in Chicago, cold, pouring buckets of rain but Himself and I made a grand day of it by huddling in one of those tourist trap trolley tours. In drenching rain it proved the best way to see the city. The tour guides were extra fun, the tips extra high, because everyone was making lemonade out of lemons. When Himself and I stopped for cocktails at the Signature Lounge, where we spent some time, literally, in the clouds, I accidentally happened upon the best view of Chicago. Sometimes when you are not looking, life hands you a special gift. Take it.

Been to Chicago? I have two more days here and want to eat the best Italian Beef Sandwich, and best Chicago style dog. Suggestions?

1. Mary
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

You can't come to Chicago without going to Portillo's. Beef sandwiches and hot dogs are great. You must have a chocolate cake shake too!

Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM | Permalink

Mary- Thanks, I think I know where it is too! I'll order both-and may even finish both;-)

3. Ellis
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

I agree with you- that is definitely the best view of Chicago! I saw that same view on Thanksgiving night when I had dinner on the 96th floor- it was breathtaking!

4. Big Dude
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

I know nothing about Chicago and the only Italian beef I've had is mine, but I was watching a show the other day titled "101 Tastiest Places To Eat" and they recommended Al's Beef – http://alsbeef.com/

5. Green Dog Wine
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

My husband and I are going in two weeks so this was super helpful (I've been debating Sears Tower vs Hancock Tower for a month now!) Keep us all updated on any other tips you get and how the rest of your adventures go!!!

6. Biz
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM | Permalink

Had so much fun at lunch today Robin!! Thanks for a great time!

7. Jenn L in Chicago
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM | Permalink

One of the amazing things about Chicago cuisine. Ask a dozen different Chicagoans for their favorite place for (any food), and you'll get 15-20 different answers.

Portillos and Al's are both good and well known, and if you have a need to stay downtown (i.e. no independent transportation), then Portillo's is the way to go. But my personal favorite for beef is a small family place out in the burbs.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM | Permalink

Biz- It was so great to meet you in person and catch up face to face. So much fun!!