Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Buns Part II

Day 18- The Art of Wearing Your Fat Dreams

Gino’s, Pat’s, or Tony Luke’s? We could argue who has the best Philly Cheese Steak for hours. So I am going to say mine, because my kids like them, especially in Mason Jars for lunch. Yesterday I showed you how I made Stuffed Buns and today is Part II of this little series. Go read Part I so you know what I am talking about in this post, but come right back here.

How To…

1. This time I am using the take and bake French Baguette loaves that I purchased from my local grocer (Trader Joe’s) to make these stuffed buns.

2. For the filling I browned up some shaved beef (also from TJ’s but most markets carry it), drained the cooked beef well, seasoned with salt and pepper, and let 5 slices of provolone cheese melt over top. Once the cheese was all melted I stirred the meat and cheese together well so the cheese was evenly distributed. You could brown some onions first then add to the meat to cook in them, but my kiddos like it plain.

3. I used the same technique as with yesterday’s buns, by slicing the rolls the desired length, and slicing open leaving one side attached, like a clam shell. Then pulling out the innards, filling with the steak mixture, piping the edges with beaten egg whites, and closing the buns to seal.

4. I brushed these with an egg yolk whisked with a teaspoon of water followed with a sprinkle of Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle, and baked in a 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

5. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely before storing in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

I was sure to make these the exact size of wide mouth pint-sized Mason Jars for my children’s lunches. One pound of shaved beef with the cheese made 6 pint-sized cheese steaks.

It is probably a blessing that our school does not have a lunch program after seeing what some schools serve the students, plus what they charge for that grub they call food. It is not easy making lunches for three kids five days a week, all who have different likes and dislikes. Some days this is a big obstacle. This year instead of the dread it has caused in the past I am trying to embrace this task, get creative, and enjoy pleasing my family with my cockamamie ideas creations. How do you overcome big tasks?

1. Big Dude
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 8:03 AM | Permalink

Great looking buns Robyn Sue. We've baked things into the bread but never did it this way – the egg white glue is a nice trick to know. You're giving your kids some good eats that I'm sure they are happy to show off to their friends.

2. vanillasugarblog
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

i am just loving your creativity these days girl! Wish we lived closer

3. Biz
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

I love this idea Robin. And I'd be like your children, no onions on mine please!

My daughter took the same lunch to school for about 7 years in a row, hard salami on white bread with muenster cheese, no matter how much I tried to get her to try other lunch meat, she stuck with that!

Hope you had a safe trip home – its chilly today – right now its 49 degrees!

4. BigBearswife
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

Those sandwiches look really good. Ooo I wonder if they would freeze well

5. Anonymous
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM | Permalink

Where do you find shaved beef at TJ's?
    Freezer or???

Posted October 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM | Permalink

Anon- ours is in the fresh meat isle packaged up near the steaks coming in one pound packs. If not there, then an Asian market or some butchers in the grocery store will do it if you order a bunch.

7. india
    Posted April 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

My husband is a navy sailor. I already make him cakes in a jar and send them over seas. I was wondering if these jar recipes would be good 2-3 weeks later like his cakes are? I’ve also wanted to make chicken noodle soup but I havemt because I’m afraid of them going bad. Any tips? Thanks so much!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM | Permalink

No, as I do not seal or preserve my foods. These kind of things cannot be preserved. When my man was in, I got a dehydrator and made all kinds of beef jerky- it made him very popular! I made some spicy ones which the guys loved and I knew he was getting something safe to eat from home. I also made him dried apples which he kept on him too for snacking. One popular treat and was always eaten right way was http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2010/10/garlic-ranch-pretzels/ always a big hit! Hopefully he is getting some good meals while on the ship.

• Angie
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

You can make and pressure can chicken noodle soup, minus the noodles. Send pints of the soup sealed up and a couple bags of egg noodles. The noodles will cook quickly in the heated soup 🙂

8. Marie
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Has anyone tried freezing the mason jar sandwiches?

• Misty
      Posted June 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM | Permalink

I was wondering that too.