Stuffed Buns Part I

Day 17- The Art of Wearing Your Fat Dreams

Wherein she glues her buns together. After touring Germany and Austria this summer and exploring the countless bakeries, I was always drawn to the beautiful rolls stuffed with all kinds of savory fillings and topped with cheese, especially the pretzels. In efforts to keep my children’s bellies full, and full of homemade treats, I created these rolls for them to be eaten for breakfast, an after-school snack, or even their lunches. The cool thing is that the filling is sealed inside the buns, which keeps the fillings from spilling out all over, and keeps the buns pretty fresh. And with using already baked buns from the bakery, I have cut out the steps of mixing, kneading, rising, rolling, and forming the buns. Remember I love a good shortcut. These buns reminded my children of the Hot Pockets that they beg for in the gorcery store, always to the answer- “no, mom will make you her own version.”

One version of the bun was a ham and scrambled egg filling with colby-jack cheese melted on top, and the other version an all natural breakfast sausage and egg scramble with pepper jack cheese melted over top. So how did I get the filling into the buns? Easy…

Come on in and follow along.

Go to your nearest bakery that bakes up the freshest and most tender Kaiser Rolls. Slice the rolls open leaving one edge intact- like a clam shell, and pull out some of the tender innards saving them for another recipe. Now here is the trick to getting those buns put back together and holding the filling inside. Ready for this?

Fill the bottom well with your filling of choice and pipe beaten egg whites around the lip of the bottom bun, close bun, press lightly to be sure that glue has sealed the bun closed, and top with a slice of cheese of choice. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 8 minutes. The meringue will seal your fillings in the bun for a fun surprise for your family.

Cool each bun completely and wrap in waxed paper and store in a zip topped bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, keep the bun in the waxed paper and place on a microwave safe plate. Heat at half power for 40 seconds, then on high power for 10 second increments until heated through. My son likes these finished up in the toaster oven to crisp up a bit.

Notes
1. Beat the egg whites until light and fluffy but not stiff, more on the soft peak side.
2. 2 egg whites should seal 8 buns.
3. I spooned my egg whites into a plastic bag and cut the tip for piping. I have also spooned the egg whites on the bun, so either way, you pick.
4. Be sure your fillings are on the dry side so the buns do not get very soggy. I was thinking a pizza filling but they would be very soggy.
5. When you close the bun, some of the egg whites will ooze out-don’t press so hard that it all oozes, only enough that the egg is sealing the top to the bun, I used my finger and smoothed the eggs whites around the edge. This is meant to be rustic, not perfect.
6. You can use whatever type of bun your want whether multi-grain or whole wheat, but it must be soft, not chewy, nor overly crispy like a French roll.

You can see that while I am living my dreams, I daydream about creating snacks and meals for my family. I have made some big flops when my kids will say, “don’t make that one ever again mom,” to, “you have to make these again, now!” Of these two buns they liked the sausage version better, so I will make those for them more often and see if I can find another filling that would please them. My failings only prompt me to try harder and experiment more. What have your failings done for you?

Tomorrow come back and see how I made Stuffed Bun Cheese Steaks for the Mason Jar which my kids cannot get enough!

1. Sandra
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

WOW I am definitely adding this to my menu, these look amazing. Thank you for the recipe 🙂

2. FOODalogue
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM | Permalink

Good one! I, too, like shortcuts especially if the long version involves traditional baking. Very clever sealing trick. You do the coolest things!

3. Jersey Girl Cooks
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

Such a cool idea!

4. Debbie
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

Very clever! Of course you are eventually going to tell us what you come up with for the roll insides, right!?

5. josheli
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

Great! Another easier way to make cabbage burgers ( think sauteed cabbage and onions with gr beef, topped with cheese)!

6. Anonymous
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 1:05 AM | Permalink

AWESOME! Here's my brain free-flow: lunches, portable on the road food, hiking, soccer games, freezeable, limitless options for stuffing, kid-friendly, husband-friendly, fun, healthy, combo of protein/carb, mommy happy, hot or cold, leftover wizardry, sturdy enough for dd's lunchbox (big deal),easy to make…
    All of that whizzed through my brain after reading that post! :o) Sharon

7. angela@spinachtiger
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM | Permalink

Just found your blog. I enjoyed this particular post because I had no idea when I started my blog I would become the person people ask to make desserts. And, I thought I was a good cook before my blog. I was in the regular world, but in food blog world, I've now made things I never thought I could. I agree with you though, the friendships are great and so rewarding.

8. ~Molly~
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 7:22 AM | Permalink

I had something similar to these on our supper menu for this week! Only I made a bread/pizza dough, rolled it out to about a 10-inch round(5 of them) and stuffed with broccoli, deli ham, cheese chunks, and bacon bits; all cooked with a little milk and butter to thicken. We all loved them!!

9. 2 Better Than 1
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM | Permalink

You are so creative. I love this idea. You could put just av=bout anything in there. I am going to try these and post them on my blog

10. Anonymous
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

In Lithuania the country I am from have a very similar recipe that are bacon buns, buns filled with bits of bacon and onion! Yum!

11. grace
    Posted October 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

terrific! great method, and i love the things you opted to stuff inside. these put (cue jim gaffigan) hot pockets to shame! 🙂

12. Stefanie P
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing your amazing ideas! Love this site!