Easy Entertaining: Cannoli Dip

We got to talking about cannoli: pastry cream versus ricotta cream, add-ins like chocolate chips, citron, and nuts, and the shells and what a pain they are to make. I mean, what else do you talk about at a funeral? My Ma, cousins, and I were talking about cannoli at the big Italian Buffet after my Uncle Cliff’s funeral when my cousin Linda said she has filled sugar cones with the filling for a quick cannoli fix. I took her idea and simplified it even more by turning it into a fast dip: no pastry bag required. Now with some major Holidays coming our way, I am looking for some easy entertaining/potluck ideas that not only look and taste delicious but are simple enough to throw together in a matter of minutes. I think you will find this dip to be very decadent on your buffet table.

Cannoli Dip
1 pound whole milk ricotta
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. mascarpone cheese, opt. but nice
2 T. mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling
1 package ice cream waffle bowls broken into 3-4 pieces each
strawberries, washed and dried

In a small bowl mix the first five ingredients. Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with more mini chocolate chips. Serve with broken waffle bowl chips and strawberrries.

Try my Cannoli Bites too.

1. Becki's Whole Life
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

I love this! Using the broken up waffle bowls is such a great idea and the dip sounds wonderful – I love ricotta – especially when it's whole milk. Great holiday treat!

2. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

this is being bookmarked a million times for the holidays!

3. Anonymous
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

Hey Cousin,
    I love this idea and will definitely make it. It was nice to connect and I wish it was under different circumstances!
    Suzanne

Posted November 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM | Permalink

Suzanne- It was wonderful to see you! It really warmed Josie's heart to see so much of the family there. Keep in touch!
    Robin

5. Naina @ chow bella
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM | Permalink

I love this idea! Plus, you don't see too many dessert dips. I can't wait to use this idea!

6. Maria
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

What a fun dip!

7. Kelly
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

This will absolutely be making an appearance at my next get together! Brilliant idea!

8. FOODalogue
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM | Permalink

Love it! Almost makes you feel not guilty eating a whole cannoli when you're 'just picking.

9. Jess
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

Every time I see a cannoli, or a recipe for one, I find myself thinking that it's such a shame they come in those deep-fried shells, because it's the sweet cream filling I'm really craving – I don't actually like the shells much at all. This is the perfect solution! I'll bet anything from sugar cookies to apple slices taste fantastic with it.

10. oneordinaryday
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

Oh, I love love love cannoli and it is not to be had around here. I have a story – when we first moved here, I had a hankering for cannoli. I went to the grocery store to buy some shells with the plan of filling them with homemade filling. Hmm. I was directed to the pasta aisle by no less than 3 people before giving up and going home. 🙁
    This dip looks delicious. Just serve mine with a spoon, please!!

11. Neil | Butterfield
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 6:13 AM | Permalink

Sounds absolutely awesome. I am a big fan of Italian food.

12. Karen
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

Only one problem that I can see with this, Robin Sue… I'd eat the whole thing!

13. sophiesfoodiefiles
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM | Permalink

What a great & well flavoured idea, Robin Sue! You, clever woman!!

14. peanutbutterandpeppers.com
    Posted November 5, 2011 at 8:02 AM | Permalink

Your a Genius! I would never of thought of this recipe in a million years! If make this for my husband he would love me forever! Well, maybe I shouldn't make it! lol J/K

15. Julie
    Posted November 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

Oooh….delish! Looks like a much easier way to enjoy the flavors of canoli 🙂

16. BlondeBomber
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

This is so creative! My favorite dessert is a cannoli and I just had the best cupcakes ever, which were cannoli obviously! I definitely need to try this deconstructed version!! Thank yous

17. Susie
    Posted November 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

Love this idea! My kids love anything they can eat with their hands and anything they can eat as "chips and dip." Can't wait to try it.

18. BigBearswife
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM | Permalink

Pinning this now! my dad and my husband love Cannolis and I bet would eat all of this!

19. Rennie
    Posted April 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM | Permalink

My dad is soooo picky about his cannoli that Im hoping this goes over well!!!!! Thanks for the idea 🙂

20. jody trenk
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM | Permalink

Just made this, and boy was it a hit. I added extra powdered sugar (it didnt taste sweet enough for me. I also took half of the dip and added fresh raspberries and toasted almond. Served it with the waffle bowls and pizelle’s and it was great.

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM | Permalink

Jody- Mmmm raspberries and almonds- now that is a nice addition and the pizelles is a great ideas too.
      Thanks for stopping in!
      Robin Sue

21. Amy
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM | Permalink

Canolli Chip recipe but use canolli shells instead of waffle cones

22. ANGELA
    Posted November 3, 2015 at 12:53 AM | Permalink

What are waffle bowls and where do you buy them? I make Pizzelle – can they be used also – without the anise flavoring?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

Yes, you can use pizzelles!