Mason Jar Wedge Salads

DSC03689.JPG

Can you picture these little gems on your buffet table this Thanksgiving or Christmas? The colors scream Christmas! I enjoy a good classic Wedge Salad and have even made my own Wedgie Bar when entertaining guests. Except now I am really into Mason Jar Meals. So how doth one fit a wedge down in the jar? The tubular shape of the romaine head was my answer. A heart of romaine cut into medallions lends themselves very well into fitting down wide-mouth 8 ounce jars. Maybe the medallion is the new wedge.

See?

Mason Jar Wedge Salads
2 Hearts of romaine, washed and dried as best as possible
12 cherry tomatoes
6 pieces of bacon, made into flat rounds and cooked until crisp- I used the microwave

Dressingbased on Rindy’s
2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
3/4 cup real mayo
1 tsp. sugar
2 T. fresh minced parsley
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 T. vidalia onion, minced fine
3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Horseradish
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper

Mix all dressing ingredients together. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Cut the root end off the romaine hearts. Cut the romaine hearts into 1 3/4 inch medallions, you will get three good ones from each heart. Use a plastic lettuce knife to do this so the lettuce will not brown. Place each of the 6 medallions down into the wide-mouth 8 ounce Mason Jars. Top with a dollop of dressing, two tomatoes, and one medallion of bacon. If you want, you can lay the bacon down and lid these for lunches during the week. Serves 6.

More Mason Jar Salads.

1. vanillasugarblog
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

wedge salad shots!
    i'll take 3!

2. Jacky
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

LOVE! Those look fantastic.

3. Alene
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

This is awesome! Love it.

4. sophiesfoodiefiles
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

What a terrefic idea to place the mini salads in these lovely jars!! Lovely & tasty too! I love the fried bacon on top!

5. Biz
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM | Permalink

Love this idea Robin! Thanks for your cheering today on the Paleo diet – right now I am eating a Paleo lasagna I made – instead of ricotta cheese I substituted a cauliflower carrot puree – love it! 😀

6. Mimi
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 5:17 PM | Permalink

A fun way to eat salad.
    Mimi

7. angela@spinachtiger
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

Robin, just yesterday I was thinking about wedge salads. I love retro and nothing says retro like mason jars. I love your philosophy on cooking and you're so right. Who knows when a kid is going to pee on someone else's couch. LOL.

8. Lori
    Posted November 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

Love all these mason jar ideas!

9. Freda Lapp
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM | Permalink

We love wedge salads! The wedge salad in a jar looks like it will be my favorite!

10. Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM | Permalink

This is brilliant. Wedge salads are one of my favorites. I can’t wait to try this!