For the Dogs: Pupcakes

Do you remember this past summer when I hosted my Cooking Salon at the Lake Anne Farmer’s Market? These were small, intimate cooking classes right in the Market. After doing several Salons I had realized that I not only had humans in my audience, but our four-legged friends as well. Many dogs tugged at their leashes as their humans passed them by my tent, wanting to stop and sniff out what I was cooking, and hoping to get a little taste too.

This lead me to host a Cooking Salon for dogs. Oh yes I did! I had a cooking class for dogs. Well, actually for the dog’s owners.

This is Zooey licking her chops, waiting very patiently to dig into her Pupcake.

Here is the portrait of our Rottie Diamond that I did back in 1992 as a Christmas present for Himself. She was the most wonderful dog in the world, and such a great companion to us. Back then, we fed her what the doc recommended, which was a famous brand of food. There was no Internet, or any need to question her doctor. Prior to hosting the Salon, I researched the current trends in feeding dogs and found that their diets closely mimic some current human trends: primal, dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, raw, and organic- just to name a few. When the 2007 pet food recall hit, pet owners started questioning how they fed their pets resulting in further research, and more healthier options for them. If Diamond were alive today, we would be feeding her a completely different diet, that’s for sure.

We do not have a dog right now, but my boys walk and train Remi, a very special friend, three days a week. They love that dog!

This summer I had the opportunity to talk to many dog owners at the Market and found that their dog’s diet was very near and dear to them, almost to the point of offense when they heard about my Pupcakes. OK, OK, so you do not feed your dog grains, but let me tell you, in my area, folks pay big bucks for Pupcakes to be served at their doggie birthday parties. Yes, it’s true.

Place a few of these little treats in your favorite furry friend’s Christmas Stocking.

Pupcakes
2 cups oat flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
1/4 cup white chocolate chips, safe for dogs!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl mix oat flour through mashed banana until smooth. Gently fold in blueberries, cranberries, and chips. Divide between 9 standard cupcake liners in a muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and frost with…

Frosting
2 ounces cream cheese
1/2 tbls. honey

In a small bowl mix honey and cream cheese until smooth. Place in a small plastic bag and snip off end. Squeeze decoratively over “Pup”Cakes. Decorate with additional blueberries and cranberries or a raspberry. Store in and airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Makes 9 Pupcakes. Portion out according to your dog’s size.

NOTE- These can be baked in 4 ounce Mason Jars for longer term freezer storage.

Oh, and don’t forget to…

Danger Zone- Foods potentially poisonous to pets.

1. Big Dude
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 7:52 AM | Permalink

Great idea Robyn Sue.

2. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM | Permalink

these are TOO cute! i know what i'm doing for my pups for Christmas presents now 🙂

Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

Big Dude- thanks!

Heather- your dogs will love you for it!

4. Sabrina
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM | Permalink

I am so excited to make these for my dog and the other barn dogs. They are country dogs and like eating the "scraps" the farrier leaves behind after trimming. (gross,I know.) The pups will think these pupcakes are so fancy. Well, I don't know if they will "think" it is fancy. But I am sure they will love them. Thanks for sharing.

5. Anonymous
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

If you get another dog try "Taste of the Wild". My vet and vet suppliers recommended it. My dog loves it (dobie).

Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

Anon- I will look into that food and can recommend it to my friends. Thanks for the tip!

7. Sheila
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Ha! I missed this one. It's a good thing I check back or I would have missed Zooey. I had no idea you could paint, too! You could open your own restaurant and decorate the walls in between making dishes.

8. Coconut
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 4:45 PM | Permalink

Very funny, and clever: "BRK More, Gag Less," and "Bark Cooking Salon…a regular gathering of distinguished doggies."

Sending this link to some other dog lovers.

What a great idea all around.

Zooey sure had no bone to pick about it. Ha ha.

Love seeing, too, your boys with Remi.

As I said in another post, more samples of your artwork here, please.

Woof! 😉

9. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM | Permalink

Fun idea. I make ice cream pupsicles for Ruby in the summer, and she loves it. This is fun and would get my kids into the kitchen for sure.

10. S
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

do you have documentation that you can share re: white chocolate being safe for dogs please.. I am overly cautious sorry. also wonder what amount of carob could be substituted for the white choc? Always been taught that carob was the only safe thing for dogs that tasted like choc. thanks