Hot Olive Appetizer

Himself and I like to have lunch dates. When the weather is pretty we especially like to dine outside, sip some wine, and snack on Hot Olives before our meal. And let me just say, these little guys are hot, not spicy hot, but temperature hot. Those little pits are like a furnace once heated. One of my favorite seasonings this time of year is orange zest, especially with chocolate, but when added to this dish, it really shines forth. If you want to look like an entertaining rock star, serve this olive dish, put out a nice crusty loaf of bread, and keep the wine flowing.

Hot Olives
1 1/2 cups assorted olives from your favorite olive bar
1/3 cup good extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
zest of one orange

In a large skillet heat olives and oil over medium heat for about five minutes or until hot. Add in the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat to a serving dish. Stir in orange zest and serve with crusty French bread and beverage of choice. Serves 4-6.

More Easy Appetizers
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Bacon Bites
Tiny Brie Bites

Ooh The Fairy Hobmother has struck again. After finding my comment here on Grace’s blog, the Good Fairy has gifted me with an Amazon gift card, just in time for Christmas! For the joy to continue, become the Fairy’s next host by making a wish, and leaving your comment here.

1. Jersey Girl Cooks
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM | Permalink

Great appetizer which will be perfect for the holidays!

2. Aimee
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

I am intrigued by the orange zest in this dish. I love adding it to muffins and breads. It adds such a refreshing flavor. I will have to give this a try.

3. Sheila
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I never would have thought of orange zest with olives! And I especially like the part about keeping the wine flowing.

So, does this fairy make all my holiday wishes come true? 😉

4. Karen
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM | Permalink

Oh, I love olives and never gave a thought to serving them hot. I'm going to give this a try!

5. Simply Life
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM | Permalink

I love this appetizer idea!

6. Dilem*mama
    Posted December 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

oooh orange zest and olives… must try!

7. Biz
    Posted December 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

I've never heard of hot olives before! We have an olive bar at our grocery store – probably over a dozen different olives to choose from – while I don't like olives plain, I love olive tapanade – weird!

Happy Friday my friend!

8. Penny
    Posted December 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

Very interesting appetizer idea. Will keep it in mind for the holidays . . . Oh, it is the holidays. I am not ready.

9. Big Dude
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

I love olives but never heard of this – looks like a delicious idea.

10. Stephanie
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

This looks so good (note: I do NOT say yummo!) This is an easy one to whip up when surprise guests come over.

11. Anonymous
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM | Permalink

Just found a new olive appetizer. Using Kalamata's in a shallow bowl, add a Tbl of fig jam then sprinkle with feta. Spear them at will.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

Anon- I will have to give that one a try, so any good flavors going there! Thanks

13. Mindy
    Posted December 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM | Permalink

These were good, though I found the pits a nuisance (just because you want to inhale them, not gnaw around a pit.) The orange zest is a wonderful smelling addition. Thanks!