Pumpkin Roll Pancakes with Cinnamon Cream Syrup

Christmas Morning Perhaps…

Do you remember when I made 18 Pumpkin Roll Cakes for our school’s bake sale? I have made a few since then, even one a few weeks ago for Ma’s birthday. Then I thought, wouldn’t it be cool to have Pumpkin Cake Rolls in Pancake form, just like Cinnamon Rolls in Pancake form? After several batches I had that very thing- Pumpkin Roll Pancakes. And the syrup? Oh my!

Cinnamon Cream Syrup will make you swoon for sure. If the filling is too much for you, then do not pass up on this syrup, it is that good.

Pumpkin Roll Pancakes with Cinnamon Cream Syrup
For the Syrup
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

In a medium size saucepan, heat sugar, Karo, and cream over medium heat and while stirring constantly bring to a boil- takes about 5-7 minutes. Once the mixture comes to a rolling boil stir for 2 minutes, remove from heat and add vanilla and cinnamon. Place in a microwave safe pitcher until ready to serve.

For the Filling
8 ounces Cream Cheese
1/2 stick butter, 4 T.
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

In a large bowl, blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to use. Or made a day ahead and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes to soften up.

For the Pancakes
1 1/2 cups milk, I used whole
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree

1 1/2 cups flour
3 T. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

3 T. melted butter

In a large bowl whisk together wet ingredients. In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until smooth then stir in the melted butter. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Rub with a little butter to prevent sticking. Using a 1/3 cup dry measuring cup, start pouring your pancakes, which should spread to about a five inch disk. When bubbles form and the edges are set then gently flip. Keep the pancakes warm until the entire batch is cooked. Will make 12 pancakes.

Assembly
Once all your pancakes are made, remove one at a time from warmer (I like to heat a saucepan for one minute then remove from heat to a trivet on my counter, cover with a tea towel then pan lid- works like a charm) and spread with 2 tablespoons of the filling. I like to spread the filling on the first side of the pancake, the side that hits the griddle first, and leave the lighter second side out. Prettier that way. OCD? As you make these place them seam side down in a casserole dish and cover with foil to keep warm. Reheat the syrup in the microwave and serve hot with the pancakes. Serves 6-12. These are rich!

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Baked Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Sorry about the glitches with this post. When I published it this morning safari decided to delete the content instead of publish. Argh.

1. Kelly
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

Christmas morning breakfast, done! Looks soso good !

2. Big Dude
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

What a neat idea Robyn Sue

3. Sheila
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

Pumpkin and syrup! Yum. I'm not much at making roll type cakes, so I think I will try this with out the filling and just top the cake with the syrup.

4. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM | Permalink

Oh, this sounds like a fabulous way to start any day, not just Christmas.

5. vanillasugarblog
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM | Permalink

wowza girl!
    this would happily put me into a sugar coma. man!

6. Karen
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM | Permalink

I just know these would be too sweet for me, but that syrup does sound yummy. I don't make pancakes very often, but keeping them in a warmed saucepan is a good tip!

7. Coconut
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 4:50 AM | Permalink

Uh oh. I swear I gained five pounds just reading this recipe. 😀

Sounds fantastic, and I could easily adapt it for my gluten-free cooking.

I have some cantaloupe puree in the freezer right now.

It worked in a muffin/bread recipe, so why not cantaloupe pancakes until I can get some pumpkin?

In any case, definitely a recipe to try, especially as a holiday treat.

Good thing I have my bike trainer set up on the front porch, and can use it in the garage when the weather is too cold.

My favorite time of year, too, for longer walks. Good thing! 😉

8. Penny
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM | Permalink

You have so many creative ideas here Robin Sue. Love the pork wellington, the chicken quesidillas and these pancakes!

9. ~
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the inspiration. We're going to attempt an egg-free version (using mashed bananas in place of the eggs) so that my youngest daughter can enjoy these. Looks YUMMMMMMMY!
    ~Jennifer

10. grace
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

christmas morning, perhaps. tomorrow morning, for sure! 🙂