Oreo Cheesecakes

When I was a little girl, Ma did a horrible thing, she made these little cheesecakes, but with cherry pie filling. Ick. Why couldn’t she be cool and make them with Oreo’s? Because the cherry pie filling was pretty and festive, and no one back then ever heard of crumbling up Oreo’s for use in other treats. They were for dunking and that was it! For a neighborhood New Year’s Eve party, I brought a batch of these made with Oreo’s, much to the delight of the kids and adults. The thing that the kids loved? The Oreo’s. The thing that the adults liked? These are not overly sweet which highlights the tanginess of the cream cheese. If you want to be all 1970’s, go ahead and top with cherry pie filling, but if you want to be your kids’ Super Hero? Use Oreo’s.

Although she did not use Oreo’s way back when, Ma is still my Super Hero.

Oreo Cheesecakes (AKA Cherry Tarts)
Ingredients:
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
one package Oreo cookies- 40 cookies

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using your stand mixer or a hand mixer, blend cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth, light, and fluffy. Place an Oreo cookie at the bottom of 24 (4 ounce) mason jars or 24 paper cupcake liners in a muffin tin. Fill each a bit over halfway with cream cheese mixture. Rough crumble the rest of the cookies, and top the cakes, pressing the crumbles lightly down into the batter. Bake for 14-17 minutes or until just about set. Will be slightly soft in center but will firm up as they cool. You want to avoid getting these browned- slightly golden is ok. Allow to cool, then freeze or refrigerate. Makes 24 cakes.

PS- We all do love a little sweetie for our coffee break, so I think these can fit in the breakFAST category. Right?

More breakFAST
Mason Jar Pigs in a Blanket Pancakes with Maple Fried Apples
Quiche and Go’s

Keepin’ it GLASSY

1. Kelly
    Posted January 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

omg… i love how simple these are! delicious!

2. Anonymous
    Posted January 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM | Permalink

I'll be cool and give these a try and you can teach this old dog new tricks; but I'm still going to do them the old fashion way – cheery pie filling or blueberry pie filling. Your Super Hero Ma

3. Bronya @ Daisy Cakes
    Posted January 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

Cherry topping? Really?!! Oh how life has moved on….for the better!!
    Great recipe x

4. Rob
    Posted January 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM | Permalink

I'm right there with you, Ma! I'll always cherish the "Cherry Tarts" you used to make for parties. Every now and then I'll come across one at a party and the "taste memories" brings back happy childhood times. 🙂 xoxo, Rob

ps. Ok fine. Robin, please bring some of the Oreo ones by the house weekend so that I may develop some new taste memories… 🙂

Posted January 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM | Permalink

Ma- hahaha! Do you remember you had to make a few without the cherries and only the red goo and set them aside just for me because the texture of the cherries grossed me out?

Rob- Stop sucking up to Ma! You know I'm her favorite;-)
    ps- I'll bring you some with Oreos

6. Ellen
    Posted January 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM | Permalink

These are going to be perfect for a little dessert get together I'm going to. Thanks.

7. grace
    Posted January 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

isn't it great how the oreo fits neatly into the bottom like that! these look great, robin sue. 🙂

8. Patsyk
    Posted January 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

I love that these are so cute and have oreos! my kids would devour them …. if any were left after the grown-ups had their way with them!