Corned Beef and Happy Tatties St. Patty’s Feast

I don’t know about your kids, but mine do not like the traditional Corned Beef and Boiled Cabbage dinner that is popular this time of year. I’m not too fond of that smelly cabbage cooking all day either. So we had a bit of a compromise this year with great cheers and happiness instead of, “can I just have the bread?” They like corned beef, they like these smile taters, and most of them like slaw, throw in some Blarney Stone Buns, and the meal becomes a party for my picky leprechauns.

Blarney Stone Buns are none other than party rolls buttered and topped with Parmesan cheese and poppy seed, and baked at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. I like to purchase Trader Joe’s Uncured Corned Beef and toss it in the Crockpot, cover with water, and cooked on low for 6 hours. Save the broth, you’ll need it for Horseradish Gravy! No Corned Beef in our house is served plain, it must come smothered in this delicious Horseradish Gravy created by my friend Rindy’s Mom, Bobi. Make extra gravy and Smile Potatoes for my Irish Eggs Benedict. Add my famous Slaw on the side of this St. Pat’s Feast and your family will hold a St. Patty’s Day Parade in your honor, bagpipes and all.

Leftover Corned Beef and Horseradish Gravy went in Mason Jars along with a few Smiles for their lunch boxes. Everyone is Happy. Everyone is Lucky.

This little video tickles my kids since their Daddy is Scottish…

Have a Deedle-lee-dee St. Patrick’s Day!
And whatever you do, DON’T forget the Guinness Shakes!

Robin Sue

1. Sheila
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

Looks yummy and easy! Often when we do a feast it takes two whole days just to make the food. I love the idea of quick and fun foods. And, cute video! I wish I had an Irish or Scottish accent.

2. Big Dude
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Sounds like a good meal Robyn Sue but I'm going to have to check out Trader Joes. Since corned beef means cured with salt corns, I'm not sure what uncured corned beef would be unless it's just a piece of brisket.

3. FOODalogue
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM | Permalink

Never heard of Blarney Stone Buns but they're cute and sound delicious.

Deedle-lee-dee to you too!

4. Biz
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

It's so weird, but I don't like cabbage on its own, but I LOVE sauerkraut! And corned beef. I can't wait to make some over the weekend!

5. Beth0085
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the birthday wishes – love that you said "have a delicious day!"

Hugs!

6. Penny
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM | Permalink

Great Corned Beef dinner idea. I still haven't made the traditional dinner. Guess I am not a true Irish. Brilliant jar idea with the smiley potatoes. Will fulfill my St. Patrick day tradition this week and may try some of your ideas.

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

My Best,