Emergency Pie Crust Cookies

It wasn’t until midnight Saturday night when I remembered that I was to bring goodies to church for the volunteers on Sunday morning. What on earth was I going to do at this hour? I did a quick mental inventory of my freezer and pantry and came up with nothing that I could whip up at last minute. Then I remembered a box of Trader Joe’s Pie Crust tucked away in the freezer for emergencies- well this was an emergency. I threw on my robe, tippy-toed downstairs and put the crusts in the fridge to defrost, and set the timer on my oven to start up at 7:30am. Catastrophe averted. Insert dramatic background music.

I broke the dough. I am strong.

One time when I was a little girl we went to my grandparents house for Thanksgiving, and my Mammy made a ton of pies to feed our huge family. She made all the dough from scratch, without measurements, in one big massive heap, pulling off fist fulls to roll out for each pie. The best part was the cinnamon sugar cookies she baked up with all the scraps. I think that is the best part of pie baking- the cookies, don’t you? Although the TJ pie crust did not defrost all the way, I went with the shards it created which in the end turned out a nice little bag of cookies. The bag? A brown lunch bag with about 2/3rds cut from it and lined with waxed paper. Cute, huh?

Emergency Pie Crust Cookies
Ingredients:

1 box frozen or refrigerated pie crusts, or homemade for 2 nine-inch pies
cinnamon sugar
powdered sugar

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pie crusts and cut in desired shapes and sizes. Sprinkle with a generous amount of cinnamon sugar and place on a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes turning the baking sheet halfway through the baking time. Watch! These like to burn quickly. Remove to cooling rack, dust with powdered sugar, and once cooled, place on a pretty platter or in a bag like I had done.

What’s your Emergency Food?

1. sabrina
    Posted April 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM | Permalink

Great idea! I have never done that. I always eat the scraps of dough, if the kids don’t get if first.

2. Posted April 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

Love these! It’s been forever since I’ve had them but I do have some pie crust in the freezer that probably needs to be used up. Love the packaging too. Had to pin.

3. Katie
    Posted April 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM | Permalink

I brush them with milk first or cream is I have it! yummmmmm!

4. Posted April 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

Genius – and typical of the offerings from BRK!

5. Posted April 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

we used to make these with leftover pie crust from helping mom make pies…TOTALLY one of the best things ever!

6. Posted April 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

I never would have thought of that in a million years Robin! Great job! 😀 Hope you had a great weekend!

7. Michelle Stahnke
    Posted April 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM | Permalink

That’s it. You are officially a GENIUS! And the best memories I have of pie baking are my mom giving me the scraps of dough and letting me make little pie cookies to bake in the oven. 🙂

8. Posted April 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM | Permalink

When I make pie, the extra crust always end up as little cinnamon rolls 🙂

9. Posted May 4, 2012 at 4:53 AM | Permalink

you strong. strong like bull. 🙂
    i always use my pie dough scraps to make cookies, so why not use the entire thing every once in awhile?!

10. Posted May 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

You are a smart cookie. 🙂 My mom always baked us rolled up dough filled with cinnamon and sugar from her leftover pie dough. She called them tootsie rolls. I still love them!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM | Permalink

Really good idea! Love the name too

11. Posted March 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM | Permalink

I loved when my mom made pie because she made us cinnamon pie scraps too!!

One Trackback

1. By Pie Crust Cookies - Chocolate Chocolate and More! on August 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

[…] eat it right off the spoon but I really wanted a light cookie to have it on. I’d seen these Pie Crust Cookies from Big Red Kitchen.  So simple, and perfect. Just get some frozen pie crust, unroll, cut and […]