My Favorite Kale Salad

There is this little Deli by Himself’s office we like to go for lunch once in a great while, mostly because it is close and we can walk there. My favorite dish that they offer is the Kale Salad with a touch of toasted sesame oil that makes you forget you are eating  very healthy super greens. It is the one dish that made me finally like Kale, and I mean really like it. With the kale lightly blanched and tossed with this flavorful dressing, with a few bits of yellow or red pepper, and crunchy strips of red onion, this dish is very refreshing on a hot summer day- or any day at that. With the Farmer’s Markets bursting with the deep dark greens right now, give this Kale Lover’s recipe a try.

Kale Salad
Ingredients:

One bunch kale
1/4 red onion thinly sliced
1/2 red, yellow or orange pepper, thinly slices
1/4 avocado oil or your favorite salad oil
1 T. coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. **coconut aminos or soy sauce
1/4 tsp. toasted sesame seed oil
1/4-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, more if you like it spicier
toasted sesame seeds for garnish

Instructions:
1. Prepare kale by cutting tough midrib from the leaves. Stack the leaves and cut into 1/2 inch ribbons. Wash.
2. Blanch the kale. To do this set aside a large bowl of ice and water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water boils, and working in 3 small batches, place the first batch into the boiling water for 30 seconds, remove to iced water using a slotted spoon or spider. Repeat with the last two batches. Drain the beautifully, bright green and blanched kale, and spin dry in your salad spinner or over tea towels.
3. Whisk together oil, vinegar, coconut aminos or soy sauce, sesame oil, and pepper flakes.
4. Toss kale, onions, peppers and dressing in a large bowl until well coated. Place in 4 half pint mason jars for lunches on the go, or in a bowl and let marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator for a nice meal at home. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serves 4.

**Coconut Aminos is a soy-free flavoring sauce that takes the place of soy sauce in the paleo diet.  It can be found in your health food store or at Whole Foods. Load up when they go on sale. It is a fizzy sauce, so it must be kept upright while travelling home from the grocery store- it likes to leak.

1. Posted May 16, 2012 at 6:54 AM | Permalink

This I have to try since I still have not jumped into the deep end, showing my love for kale. It is okay, but nothing to write home about for me. Now this, this might be the winner.

2. Posted May 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM | Permalink

I’m not a kale lover, and I couldn’t jump on the bandwagon with the kale chips. I tried! But now after tasting the most incredible kale salad at a friend’s house, I am on an elusive search for the perfect kale salad. 😉

Denise

3. Posted May 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

i recently fell in love with kale salads but have been sticking with the same one for a while…this sounds awesome and i’m totally up for the change!

4. Indira
    Posted May 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM | Permalink

try Sautéing it with ltl garlic+ red onion + sea salt and red pepper flaks or with cumin seeds+sea salt+ pepper ..

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM | Permalink

Bobby that sounds so good!

5. Caia
    Posted October 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM | Permalink

There’s not a measurement for the avocado oil / salad oil. 1/4 cup? Looks good, I’d like to try it. . . Thanks!

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 21, 2012 at 4:38 AM | Permalink

Yes it’s 1/4 cup. Thank you!

6. Amanda
    Posted November 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM | Permalink

The salad sounds delicious! Have you tried “massaging” the dressing into the kale instead of blanching it? If you squeeze the kale after it has been tossed with the dressing it would have the same tenderizing effect. Add onions and pepper after the “massage.” Thanks for the recipe!

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

I have heard of this method but have yet to try it. Sounds like a lot less work than having to blanche! Thanks!