Bulletproof Coffee- Plus Three Buttered Coffee Recipes

The exciting thing about changing up one’s lifestyle is all the learning that’s ahead of them, something like having a new and tiny adventure everyday.  After the Paleo Challenge in February, I embraced the Paleo way of eating. This meant I had a plethora of things to learn, such as what I can eat and what should be avoided; why I should eat this way; and creative Paleo recipes from the 5 food groups we can eat. Enter Bulletproof Coffee stage left.  My friend Angela from CrossFit and I can talk a blue streak about recipes and paleo foods. She has a huge arsenal of Primal/Paleo knowledge and I find it fun to pick her brain. She asked me the other night if I ever had butter in my coffee and I answered with “ack, no” because all I could picture was a greasy yellow oil slick on my upper lip after each sip.  I have to say I had never heard of such a thing, but after living paleo for the last few months, nothing surprises me anymore.  I was all ears.

Now the secret to this entire gig, and to prevent that upper lip oil slick is to froth the butter into the coffee. No frothy frothy, no likey likey.  I’m on par with using the Kerrygold Butter (unsalted please) in the coffee as it is from grass-fed cows… I mean look at it’s lovely yellow!   I’m not so hard core about using  Dave’s coffee, but will continue to use my favorite Useless Bay Coffee.  For this cup I used UBCC’s Espresso, a double shot to be exact, added 1 tablespoon Kerrygold Butter…

…then blended wildly with my handheld frother, added a touch more hot water, and enjoyed a very creamy cup of coffee. I wonder if Des will be putting this on his coffee menu at UBCC?

Read about Dave Asprey’s Bulletproof Coffee: he uses his Bulletproof brand of coffee, Kerrygold Butter, and MCT oil- medium chain triglycerides found in coconuts. Meh, whatevs.

Big Red Kitchen’s Butterful Coffee Recipes…
Butterful Coffee- Pour a double shot of espresso into a mug (I am using an 8 ounce mug for all of these recipes), add 1 tablespoon Kerrygold or other grass-fed unsalted butter, and blend with frother until well frothed.  Top off with more hot water to fill mug and enjoy. This is more primal than strict paleo.

Coconut Butterful Coffee- Pour a double shot espresso into a mug and add 1 tablespoon coconut butter and blend with frother until well frothed.  Top off with more hot water to fill mug. Sweet, creamy, and refreshing. Absolutely fantastic poured over a 10 ounce glass of crushed ice for a summertime treat. Strict paleo and vegan.

Browned Butterful Coffee- Pour a double shot espresso into a mug and add 1/2 tablespoon butter. Heat the other 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium low heat until it smells nutty, and is light brown in color- do not take it too far, it burns easily. Add to already buttered coffee and blend with frother until well frothed. Top off with more hot water to fill mug. Very rich and nutty. Primal and delicious!

***Note- all of these recipes can be made with a good ole regular cuppa Joe too. Blend the butter into half a cup then add the rest of your coffee.

Why?
1. I am not a big breakfast eater in the morning, never have been,  often times working out on an empty stomach other than my morning cuppa Joe. The added fat of the butter gives me the extra calories and energy I need for my workout without the crash.
2. Cream and I do not get along. Then you and I would not get along. I want us to get along.
3. I do not eat toast so much anymore. Sad. Coffee is the new best vehicle for butter. Coffee is the new toast.
3. It tastes great.

Butter in coffee? It’s a butterful thing.

1. Posted May 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

i’ve never tried this but i’m definitely intrigued! and kerrygold butter really is the best…i love all of their products!

2. Posted May 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

you know i love this!
    bring it on
    and let’s save some for use in a cake! i’ll eat the cake and watch you while you workout

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

and I’ll watch you walk all those miles you’ve been racking up!

3. Posted January 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

I just tried butter in my coffee, and it was great. My unhomogenized milk was low on fat, and it wasn’t satisfying in the milk, and so I added the butter, – awesome! the right balance. And then I looked up online to see other peoples doing that, and I found this article.

4. Bulletproofing
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

I’m trying IF again for weight loss and am trying to incorporate Bulletproof Coffee into my regime. I’ve briefly tried it before with coconut oil and the Upgraded Coffee, which, while was good, was awfully expensive. I recently found a source for Kerrygold unsalted butter.

I only put in a teaspoon because I’m a short and when I’m being strict, I can only eat around 1200 calories a day. I’d like to put in a tablespoon, but that would be 100 to 120 calories plus at least 12 grams fat.

I can’t drink coffee black. I find it more tolerable with the teaspoon of butter or coconut oil, but keep wondering if it would taste much better if I added the full tablespoon.

5. Hannah
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

Can this be a drink for during the day or at night?

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Yes either

6. Posted July 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

Wow – I’ve never heard of this, but it sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing!

7. Posted September 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

After looking over a number of the blog aryicles on your site, I seriously like
    your way of blogging. I saved it to my bookmark
    webpage list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site as well and
    let me know how you feel.

4 Trackbacks

1. By Is Low Fat Making Us Fat? | noexcuseschallenge on January 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM

[…] 5. Always eat breakfast! Your adrenal glands have been working hard all night long balancing your blood sugar. It’s important to give them a break from this task and let then recover by eating within an hour of waking up. I start my day with Bullet Proof Coffee. […]

2. By Bulletproof Coffee Reviews - Upgraded Reviews on July 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM
  3. […] made it with unsalted organic butter or coconut oil, and really enjoy the frothy foaminess. (Here are a couple of similar recipes) And here […]