The fastest way to “rice” cauliflower: video

I eat cauliflower often, especially cauliflower “rice”. It makes a tasty paleo side dish in lieu of rice. I have tried many ways to “rice” cauliflower, from chopping it by hand, placing it in the food processor, or grating it, with all of them proving to be a pain in the bum. Then I had remembered how my friend’s mom used to make her coleslaw. She placed rough chopped cabbage in her blender, filled it with water, and presto, she had the most perfectly chopped cabbage for slaw. Eureka! It works for cauliflower too. Very easy to do, and even easier clean up. Store some cauli “rice” in a Mason Jar for quick and healthy side dishes during the week.

Enjoy the video and take a shot of your favorite espresso (or spirit- gasp!) every time I say “so”. You’ll be buzzed by the end, I promise.

If you think this idea is pretty cool, please share.

Here is one of my recipes using the “riced” cauliflower- Lemon Couscous Pilaf.

Also my video showing you how to make Stir-fried Cauliflower Rice.
Then for some Tex-Mex, try my Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice.

My blender is a vitamix-prep (Himself likes smoothies), but you can use a regular blender working in smaller batches which is still faster than a hand grater and loss of fingernails- ouch.  The canning funnel used in the video is this one.

Mason Jar Meal recipes and ideas, click here.
More Paleo recipes, click here.
My Paleo Journey, click here.
My CrossFit Journey, click here.

Another way Big Red Kitchen is KEEPIN’ IT GLASSY

1. Joyce
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 6:57 AM | Permalink

OMG-so easy! Even I can do this! I need ways to add more veggies into my diet-this is perfect! Where did you get the funnel for the mason jars?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM | Permalink

The funnel is this one…

Thanks Joyce!!

• steph
      Posted September 23, 2014 at 6:05 AM | Permalink

Can you tell me which blender setting you used? Thanks!

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM | Permalink

I turn up the speed slowly then do a quick blitz on med high. Don’t over process or you will have mash;)

2. Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

Love it! Do you have any recipes with rice cauliflower to share?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

Fallon- I will be coming out with more other than the one mentioned in the post. Stay tuned! R

• Lisa
      Posted October 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

The first time I accidentally overprocessed so I drained, put in a baking dish, mixed with some softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar, more cheddar on top, baked at 375 until it was a bit firm and cheese melted, delish, just like cauliflour mashed potatoes. I guess cheese isn’t paleo though.

3. Jenn in GA
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

Brilliant! Been “pa-leo” now for about 45 days, & love riced cauliflower! Thanks for the tip! Going to use it for my cabbage too! Wd love to hear more about your paleo journey &, of course, any recipes you find that you like.

4. Posted May 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM | Permalink

Great idea!!!

5. Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

wow, super smart idea with the water! i never would have thought of that but i can imagine that saves so much time!

6. KP
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the tip about cauliflower– and thanks for teaching me to say pal-eo right! (I have been saying it the same way as your Ma!). One question– you say to treat it like rice, so does that mean I need to cook it before eating it, or is it ready to go out of the jar? Thanks again!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM | Permalink

Yes you will need to cook the cauliflower. It can be steamed, roasted (with a bit of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil) and sauteed. I will post a video later in the week of me making a very simple stir-fried rice dish with it. Stay tuned!
      Robin Sue

7. Posted May 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM | Permalink

What a great idea. Looking forward to more recipes using rice cauliflower.

8. Posted May 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

I’d never heard of ricing cauliflower – what a clever idea and very good job on the video.

9. Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM | Permalink

I am sure if one can get innovative, can try the same recipe with few other vegetables too. Thank you so much for this. Awesome!

10. LaLaLand
    Posted May 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing. This will save my fingernails. I have been ricing my cauliflower the old fashion way…using a grater. You are a life and fingernail saver!!!

11. Posted May 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing. I’m just starting g-free and this is inspiring.

12. Linda Kucharski
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

just tried “riced” cauliflower for the first time. Your tip of using the blender was genius! So easy. I made it stir fried with Scallions, garlic, olive oil, and some shredded cooked chicken. I seasoned it with Braggs liquid amino’s (soy sauce substitute) Very satisfying, I did not miss the rice at all. Thanks. Next I am going to try it with a basil pesto……the possibilities are endless.

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

I am so happy you “made it your own” by adding the garlic and chicken! You are so right, we can make this so many different ways. Thanks for coming back and letting me know, and for your kind words!
      Robin Sue

13. Posted June 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

Oh my gosh – this is so awesome!! I CANNOT wait to try it!!! Thanks so much.

14. Suzanne Sjögren
    Posted June 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Excellent! Thanks for the great video I will try this tonight!

15. Heather Blair
    Posted June 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

This is perfect!! Riced cauliflower helps me get through my paleo cravings. I’ve tried to rice cauliflower in so many ways and it usually ends up as mashed cauliflower. This was very easy and it comes out PERFECT. The only problem I had was that my colander has bigger wholes the the little rice pieces, so I lined it with a coffee filter and it took a little longer to drain, but all came out great. Can’t wait to make your stir-fried cauliflower rice this week for dinner!! Thanks Big Red Kitchen!

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM | Permalink

Thanks Heather! You are the best- miss working out with you girl! Hope your knee heals up soon!

16. Posted June 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM | Permalink

I tried cauliflower rice for the first time tonight, and used your method–wow. A few pulses in my Blendtec and it was done! You’re brilliant 🙂 I sauteed it in butter and served with meatballs and a green bean salad.

17. Posted August 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM | Permalink

Trackbacked twice, cause this is truly genius! 🙂

18. Barefootcookingirl
    Posted September 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM | Permalink

Hey and don’t forget to keep that water from your “rice” or any other veggie you chop in your vitamix- it’s a great start for soups! Love your site. Just found it today. You rock! 🙂 BCG

19. Posted September 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness, this is fantastic! I came here from the jalapeno-cheddar cauliflower “muffin” recipe at “I breathe… I’m hungry…” and after a night of trying to chop cauliflower into little bits, I am excited to try this method for the next batch. Thank you!!!

20. Kristen
    Posted September 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

What method to do recommend for making “steamed rice”, and how long do I need to cook it?

21. Dawn
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM | Permalink

What is the brand of your blender and where can you purchase it?

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM | Permalink

It’s a Vita Prep from Restaurant Depot.

Posted November 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM | Permalink

Do you think it is possible to make it in a smoothie maker? Or does it have to be sharp blades blender?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

I haven’t tried it in a smoothie blender so I don’t know if it would work or not. You can try a small amount and see

4 Trackbacks

1. By Whole30 – Day 2 « My Healthy Challenge on July 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

[…] tuna, avocado, tomatoes S: jerky and coconut flakes D: Kung Pao chicken with cauliflower “rice“ S: cucumber […]

2. By Life Changing Kitchen Tips – Volume 2 on July 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

[…] was skeptical when I watched this video about prepping to rice your cauliflower in a blender with water. I felt like it would be fussy and make more dishes and not really be all that […]

3. By Cauli-Rice? « ~jenniferlynn~ on July 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM

[…] the cauliflower and the texture was just super runny. So, third time’s a charm, right? I found this video which changed my life! Hehe. Totally awesome and amazing tips on how to “Rice” […]

4. By Cauli-pizza! « ~jenniferlynn~ on August 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

[…] “Rice” your cauliflower.  (I love my Cuisinart for this! Awesome video on how to do this here.) […]