Wok Wednesdays: Stir-Fried Sugar Snap Peas with Shiitake Mushrooms

Today’s stir-fry reminds me of another reason I like stir-fries:  the varying textures. In this dish we have shiitake mushrooms that, like a sponge, absorb the chicken broth, soy sauce, sherry, and ginger, then develop into soft and tender, bursting-with-flavor morsels, while the sugar snaps remain tender-crisp and nicely sweet. One would think that a finished dish should have matching textures, but I am finding with stir-frying, each component holds its own texture only to mingle perfectly with its bowlmates. This has to do with all the timing that goes into making a good stir-fry, unlike stews where everything is cooked to, not quite mush, but soft, pillowy comfort. I like that too, but a stir-fry screams excitement and energy to me.

What I learned this time…

1. My mason jar mise en place is a must for me, along with the cheat sheet (a tip from Laura). These two things keep me well organized for this fast-paced style of cooking.

2. Dry all the ingredients well before they hit hot grease. I use my salad spinner to get everything super dry.

3. I used my ginger infused sherry in place of the rice wine or regular sherry.

4.  Mushrooms are delicious in stir-fries as they really do work like  little sponges to sop up all that liguid and flavor.

We are no longer sharing the recipe for each Wok Wednesday journey, you’ll have to purchase the book by Grace Young, “Stir-Frying to the Sky’s Edge” in order to play along. It is the best book for learning how to stir-fry, and I have found it worth every penny.  I am taking this journey because I find it to be very healthy and a wonderful way to get more veggies into my diet.  With a little prep ahead of time, I have been able to cook these dishes in five minutes or less. Now wouldn’t that be nice for a busy week night? Simply prep some ingredients on the weekend, and enjoy a quickie meal during the week. Some things that prep well ahead of time are peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, other vegetables, and you can too slice up some meat while you are at it. Store your prepped ingredients in a jar, and cook within 3-5 days depending on the item.  Seafood you will want to cook within 24 hours for ultimate freshness.  Kinda like the fancy over-priced stir-fry packages you see at the grocery store, don’t you think?

My other WokinRobin Posts
Let’s chat soy sauce, shall we?
Chinese Trinidadian Stir-fried Shrimp with Rum Recipe
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Chinese Burmese Chili Chicken
Stir-fried Cauliflower Rice Recipe Video
The Fastest Way to “Rice” Cauliflower Video

To join us, go to Wok Wednesdays for the rules, then  just wok in!

1. Posted June 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

Isn’t stir-frying the greatest?! Lovely photos as usual – always a pleasure to view.

2. Posted June 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM | Permalink

What a great idea to use a salad spinner before stir frying! Totally going to steal that.

My Aunt and Uncle that own the lake house at SML? My Uncle unfortunately is in his last stages of lung cancer – its spread so much there is nothing more they can do for him. 🙁 He’s actually my Aunt’s third husband, but they have been together for 25 years or more. They live in Richmond, he’s been put on hospice this week, but is desperately trying to get to the lake this week – I think he knows he doesn’t have much more time and the lake is his favorite place to be.

My brother on the other hand is doing well! He goes next week to see how the chemo is working – he’s back to work part time so that will tell you something!

Hugs to you!

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

Biz,
      I am so sorry about your Uncle, I do hope he makes it to the lake, it is such a peaceful place to be. So happy to hear your brother is doing better, and WOW back to work- amazing. I continue to hold him in my prayers.
      RS

3. Posted June 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

I’m so with you on the preparation of ingredients and storing them (overnight or a few days) for stir frying later. Love your Mason jars for mise en place too – so elegant, in a farm chic kind of way.

4. Posted June 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM | Permalink

Mushrooms really are the best for getting all of that delicious stir fry flavor! Plus the texture is so meaty!

5. Posted June 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin. Love your photos. I agree that mis en place and “cheat sheets” are helpful when stir frying. I feel like once the stir fry begins, I’m running a race. Looking forward to more wokking adventures.

6. Posted June 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin, You take such great photos and I love your observation that a stir-fry is great for the contrasting textures. You’re right that many of the ingredients can be prepped a few days ahead of time. When I was doing the research for Sky’s Edge I discovered that the flavor of garlic intensifies as it sits–so don’t prep it too far in advance.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the garlic tip Grace!