5 summer salads

Here are a few favorite salads from my kitchen to yours. These are the ones that I especially like to bring to potlucks, barbecues, or any other summer shindig. Oh sure there are tons of times I like to bring a big platter of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil, or a big bowl of fresh fruit salad, but those aren’t recipes are they? These are the ones that folks have repeatedly asked me for the recipe. Enjoy…

The top photo is Dig Deep, a layered salad of lettuce, tomatoes, peas, cheese, bacon, red onions, hard cooked eggs, and a thick and creamy dressing schmeared over top. So pretty made in single servings in jars or plastic cups.

Chicken Ramen Salad, always a huge hit at potlucks. No hard rules on this one, we have also enjoyed dried cherries, shrimp in place of chicken, pecans, cantaloupe, or pineapple.  Make it yours.

Broccoli Slaw Salad has kinds of things going on here. Really good with pulled pork, brisket, and ribs. Yeah that kind of BBQ!

Make your own wedgie bar, because everyone likes to pick their own wedgies. Great for when kids are involved and everyone gets what they like.

Then there is the Mini Classic Wedgie in a Jar. So cute on your buffet table when a tiny wedgie is often better than a big one.

My all-time favorite, most requested dressing? Pink Lady Poppy Seed Dressing

Mason Jar Salad Ideas, clickie here.

1. sharon
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

Robin~
    Yum! I’m curious, have you ever tried to “paleo-ize” the dressings? I’m thinking about replacing sugar with raw honey or stevia, and the canola oil with light olive oil. We’re ALL ABOUT the condiments in our house. We already make our own mayo so that part is easy to substitute. Sometimes, though, making substituitions don’t do a tried and true recipe justice.
    Thanks, Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

Sharon I think most of these can be modified to paleo except the bleu cheese dressing would really be a homemade mayo ranch dessing. So you are right, for the tried and true it would be a big change, but that is ok too! But many of these I do bring as is to potlucks since most people are not paleo- now if I want to eat it too, then I make it paleo. Depends on the group.
      Thanks!
      Robin

2. Angela
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

Great salad ideas! BTW, whatever happened to Rindy? I used to follow her recipe blog until she stopped posting. I hope she is doing well!

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

Rindy is great! She is now playing tennis like a champ!

3. sabrina
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

“everyone likes to pick their own wedgies”…..hehe. You are so funny.

4. Posted July 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM | Permalink

Love the idea of the wedge salad bar – I may have to do that next week for my office lunch. Today I made grilled pizza because there were only 7 of us – I tried a new dough recipe from LaCucina magazine – one recipe makes four, 10 inch pizzas, and it only has 1/4 teaspoon of yeast!

It rises three times, but its not much hands on – I’ll post the recipe tomorrow, but it was a super big hit! 😀 Happy Friday!

5. Posted July 28, 2012 at 4:41 AM | Permalink

I love all of your tasty & versatile salads here, Robin! So tasty looking too!
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Now, which one I am going to make this afternoon?