Please allow me to introduce myself

Hi I’m Robin Sue, the gal behind this place we call Big Red Kitchen.  Some days I know exactly who I am, and some days I dream of who I want to be, or should be. Dreaming. I am good at dreaming. The above photo was snapped by Himself, my husband of 19 years while on a train from Munich to Berlin last summer. He caught me dreaming. Most days I dream about writing the perfect blog, cookbook, novel, of having a perfectly clean house, a beautiful healthy meal on the table each night, of well-behaved children, travelling to far and exciting places,  and of being organized.  I wonder what successful authors who travel the world eating wonderful meals, and who are highly organized dream about?

Let me see if I can get in this space who I am.  I am unorganized and cluttered,  I procrastinate, I hate administrative work, I have the “I would rather” syndrome, some days I am on top of the world and others I live in self-doubt, I would love cooking more if no one complained about it, and I hate doing laundry.  I am a check the box kind of gal- do it once check the box and never do it again, I think that is why chores are so hard, they have to be repeated, repeatedly.   I am creative. I take shortcuts. I problem solve.  I get bored easily. But I am never bored.  I love to be with with interesting people. I love people-watching and creating stories about them.  I can stare at a wall for hours and be exhausted because I just created the most wonderful things, all in my head, some make it out, some don’t.  I am a crier, even over dumb commercials.  I wish I stood up for myself more often.  I hate confrontation. I love the radio blaring, I love to dance, I love appetizers, I love to laugh at stupid things.  I have a warped sense of humor.  I am talkative.  I learn more when I teach.  If a book does not capture me in the first chapter, I put it down. I love nights. I love God. I love my family. But sometimes  I am lonely.  I am my biggest obstacle.  I love doing nice things for others. I am easy going, but don’t make me mad.  I try to find good in everyone.  I am happy. I am blessed.

Who are you? Many of you have followed me for years and have never introduced yourself. Please pop in and say hi! I would love to meet more of the folks that read BRK.

1. Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin, nice to meet you! What a great idea to have a meet and greet, it made me feel welcome and want to respond 🙂 I live in my hometown in SW Arkansas and am an avid gardener, homeschooling mom, and chicken wrangler. I operate a home delivery subscription service for local seasonal fruits and veggies and eggs from my chickens. I love to read, I love science and nature – I am a biology nerd. Like evidently everyone who had ever heard of them, I LOVE your mason jar meals <3!

We have a few things in common – I am my own biggest obstacle as well. I am ready to overcome that.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

Georgia! Thanks for stopping in to introduce yourself. I am a biology nerd too, I just can’t look at a flower without trying to find all of its parts. Sounds like so much fun to have chickens. My Daddy used to raise chickens and tells us the best stories about them, he even named them all. OK let’s overcome some obstacles together!

2. Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM | Permalink

can i just copy what you wrote down? because that’s TOTALLY me!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM | Permalink

I knew we were so much alike! Can you imagine if we got together, woo wee we would tear up the town!

3. Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Hi! I am Gussie, a work from home mom who loves to cook, craft, photograph and run. I am involved in the leadership of the MOPS ministry at my church and I also help with the children’s programming during Wednesday night church. Recently, I have been trying to help take care of my Granny as much as I can. My husband and I are small business owners, which keeps us very busy!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

Gussie,
      God bless you for taking care of your Granny, may there be treasures in Heaven for you love and dedication. I was in MOPS for I think 8 years and did Hospitality for about 4 years in leadership. Those years helped me survive having little ones at home. I made some of my best friends from MOPS. I still call on all those ladies when I need prayer. So good to meet you!

4. Amanda H
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Love you Miss Robin Sue!! You were one of the first stepping stones that helped me become part of who I am today :-). Hope to see you soon!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

Amanda, you all have GOT to come visit once you are settled!! We sure did have a good time in Germany, and I am still so sorry my kid peed on your couch;-)

5. Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

I love this! We actually have a lot in common. I love cooking, but am tired of the complaints too. I also love making lists, getting great recipes from blogs, and telling stories of my crazy life with all boys!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

Welcome Nicole! Oh the complaints!! They can drive me nutters all the time but I love them to pieces. I am a list person too. One time my son found an old list in a coat pocket of mine and it had diapers on the list. Had to be an old gocery list from 8 years ago! Love my lists.

6. Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

hello! it’s so nice to “meet” you. i’m courtney. i’m fairly new to your blog, but i just love it. i am an american living in germany (my husband and i work supporting the US military). i run a handmade shop on etsy called maken making quilts and accessories. i love to cook and running keeps me sane. <3 thanks for sharing all of your wonderful stuff!!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Courtney
      We lived in Germany for 3 years in a little village called Hockenheim. We really miss living there and went back for three weeks last summer to see all of our friends. Where do you live in GE?

7. Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

I’m your brother. Hi. 😉

Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

word

8. Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM | Permalink

I think we’d be good friends. 🙂

Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM | Permalink

We would! I saw that you finished your Whole 30- good for you! What a great thing to do AND finish. How do you feel? I have been enjoying a little bit of ice cream this summer and need to get back on track. Another reader pointed me in the direction of coconut milk ice cream- will have to give that a go.

9. jenn
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM | Permalink

hi robin sue! i live in GA, but i’m a Midwesterner born and bred. lived in IN until i was 22, then in IL until i was 39, and now in GA for the past 6. my mister and i have been married 21 years and we have 1 son who will be a senior in high school this fall.

i went paleo in april and am enjoying your posts and recipes about your journey. i love God too, and believe the here and now will pale in comparison to what’s to come. i want to try crossfit, but the closest gym is 20+miles away. that’s fine because it scares me more than a little bit!

i love to read, but i’m not very good at dreaming. i need to improve on my ability to allow for the possibilities…

Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM | Permalink

Hi Jenn,
      So you are new to paleo too! It is quite the adventure isn’t it? I haven’t been to GA in years, I had visited Stone mountain and loved it there, so pretty. This year with your senior will fly by, so happy and sad all at the same time. My oldest is going into 10th grade, I can’t believe how time passes so quickly. Glad to mee you Jenn!
      Robin Sue

10. Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM | Permalink

Hello,
    I am Megan and I am the CINC of the Ipp House. I’ve been married for 7 years to my wonderful husband and we have 4 little ones (6yrs – 5 months). We go where ever the military tells us enjoying all the different experiences,growing in our faith, cultures, and food. We are currently living in Alaska and we too have just become Paleo. I enjoy homeschooling, reading Chesterton, Jane Austin, and historic novels.
    I yearn for green chilies and tortillas (wish tortillas were part of the Paleo way of life) from when we last lived in enchanting NM, but have grown to like shrimp and salmon since moving to the Last Frontier.
    I enjoy putting around on your blog and testing your Paleo recipes on my family…which have all been big hits!
    Cheers!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM | Permalink

CINC- I like that! Hi Megan, thanks for dropping by and introducing yourself. You DO have your hands full with 4 wee ones, but what fun it must be! Jane Austin takes me away every time, I can get lost in her books. I do miss tortilla chips and occassionally indulge, I think it is the salty crunch that I really miss. What a wonderful experience to live in so many places, especially Alaska. Thank you to your husband for his service, may God protect him and bless you all richly!
      Cheers right back at you!
      Robin

11. sharon
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin,
    I’m Sharon and I live in the Pacific NW. I’ve been a frequent commenter on your blog. I’m married to my high school sweatheart (only boyfriend I ever had…EVER) and BFF. We have an 11 year-old daughter, and a 19-month old foster baby girl who we would love to make a part of our family forever, Lord willing. So, we keep quite busy. We love being active–my husband tasted the CrossFit kool-aid 5 years ago and has never turned back. He has the luxury of being able to do it at work with co-workers in their gym. I run long-distance and enjoy boot camp, in addition to running after and toting around a 25-lb toddler, and running to keep up with our active 11 yr old. Very full, blessed lives. We enjoy eating nourishing foods, and eat primal/paleo about 80% of the time. Real food tastes sooo good! Love your blog and your down-to-earth spirit. As for daydreaming, you remind me of Anne of Green Gable– “so much scope for imagination.”

Posted July 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM | Permalink

Sharon
      So good to formally meet you! I do enjoy your comments and look forward to trying the coconut milk ice cream recipe. I think I will be a huge treat to make it! Now one thing I am terrible at is running so I admire anyone who does it. Plus you are really busy chasing a little one! We will have to pray that your foster daughter will be part of your family forever soon! We adopted our youngest daughter from S. Korea and she and I love to watch Anne of Green Gables together. Does your 11 yo like Anne of GG too? Thanks for popping in with your comments- they really keep me going! My hubby is from Seattle and I am from NJ (born in Boston though) so we love the north west. I grew up drinking iced coffee from my Italian mother and it was Himself who got me to love hot coffee. How sweet it is that you married your highschool sweetheart! We are both so blessed!

12. Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue,
    It sounds like we have much in common. I am an absolutely terrible procrastinator! I am a hopeless romantic who daydreams constantly. I always want to be somewhere else. Cooking fascinates me. Unfortunately, my audience consists of my husband whose tastes are meat, with a side of meat, and a small slice of…meat. Utterly frustrating so I just make what he wants and deal with it. It does bring me down.

My hobbies which I have virtually no time for, include stained glass, lampworking, making wire jewelry, scroll sawing, gardening, and just kicking back with a good book. Unfortunately, none of these joys bring in the bacon, soooo I am forced to work outside the home as a clerk. I hate to rush time, because it passes so quickly, but I truly want to retire and enjoy my hobbies. I grew up in Philadelphia and met my husband at the Jersey shore which is where we have made our home. My husband and I will be married 33 years this September. My two adult children have each bought their own homes and are beginning their lives on their own — close to home though!

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself!

Sue

Posted July 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM | Permalink

Hi Sue,
      Thanks for stopping by! That is so neat that you live at the Jersey Shore. I used to live in Mystic Island on Great Bay. We loved living down there in the summers. Now it is a big booming casino town, but back when I was a kid, it was a tiny very quiet little place to be. Where do you live at the Shore? You do have a wonderful list of crafts that you do, I do not have much time fore crafts other than cooking. Go make your hubby a meatloaf and make you a nice cake! It sure would be nice if everyone ate just like the cook of the house, our lives would be so much easier!
      Warmly,
      Robin

• Posted July 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin,

Thank you for replying to my post! We live in Cape May County. If you travel to the end of the state, about 5 miles before you fall of is where we live! I do love it here, even though the population practically triples in the summer! We live right outside of Cape May in a town named Erma.

Have a wonderful summer!

SueB

Posted July 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

I do remember Cape May, it is such a pretty place! You ARE very south!

13. Tonya Fullenkamp
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue, I’m thrilled to find your site. I have only just started to explore it and follow you today. It all started with my brother in law asking if I had an extra wide mouth mason jar he could have. So I went yahoo and looked to see what exactly a wide mouth mason jar was under images and found a picture of one of your recipes. I can’t wait to share your site.

I am originally from Oklahoma but moved to Ohio when I was 8 (now 30) so I was basically raised here. I have twins that are 5 and my baby just turned 2. I have the most amazing husband and I wouldn’t trade my life for anything.

Nice to meet you Robin Sue!

-Tonya

Posted July 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM | Permalink

Hi Tonya,
      So good to meet you! My Daddy was born in OK and lived all over the southwest. You sure are busy with 3 little ones! I can remember when mine were little how tiring it was to care for them, but such sweet times too- so much cuddling!! Glad you are poking around BRK, hope you find a few things here you like.
      Warmly,
      Robin Sue

14. Posted July 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Loved it! The dialogue and the photo – perfect pairing.

Posted July 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

Thanks Joan, someday we will meet in person!

15. Jane
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM | Permalink

Love the photo, & inspiration to think introspectively. I am a NH girl – I love that you’re loyal to your Boston roots & cheer on the New England teams Robin! I connected with your comment about wishing you stood up for yourself more. I have a Beautiful six year old daughter who has been dealing with some bullying, & I just had a heart to heart with her about how I wish I had stood for myself more as a child. I am married to my high school sweetie and am passionate about my work: supporting adults with developmental disabilities. Yours is one of 2 blogs I check daily, the other is Closet Cooking. I love your blog!

Posted July 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Hi Jane,
      Yes teach her to stand up for herself early on. I let people push me too far then I get mad! Kevin is a great guy and has a wonderful blog, he is very creative in the kitchen and I have followed him too for years. Though I haven’t popped in to say hi to him in a long time. I’ll have to fix that! Your work sounds so interesting and I am sure you have so many wonderful experiences from it. The one thing I do miss about not being in Nursing is my elderly patients- they were so much fun (tough at times, but fun all the same). Thanks for introducing yourself!
      Robin

16. Missy R.
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin!

I have come to your site daily for probably about 2 or 3 years now and I think I’ve commented like… once. Shame on me! I love your recipes, creativity and wit. Truly, when you throw a little zinger in there, your sense of humor cracks me up. 🙂

I am 36, live in Seattle, have a husband and a 4 year old daughter. I used to work from home (for 8 years) but recently had to start going back into the office again, trying to get adjusted to office life with a family – juggling all of the mom duties when I worked from home wasn’t nearly as difficult. 🙂

Let’s see, I’m a procrastinator to a fault. I always have grand intentions, but I often fall short. I am trying to get more organized in our new house and I love the challenge honestly – which is all very contradicting, no? My husband is a big eater, like one of your other readers, he likes his meat but he’s the typical meat and taters kinda guy. Since I’m the cook in the house, I’m trying to incorporate a little more healthy options now and then. I introduced “Meatless Mondays” the other week and I met with a blank stare. It was almost like I handed him a plate of insult. hahahaha One day!! 🙂

Over the last year or so, I’ve been met with some various health concerns which have turned out to be complete mysteries. One example is “undiagnosed vertigo” meaning, I’m dizzy and they don’t know why. I’m turning to diet to help manage my issues and hoping it makes a difference. I’ve always cooked, but it hasn’t always been the healthiest meals. Your recipes are inspiring!

It’s nice to get to know you! Here’s to a healthy happy future!

Posted July 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM | Permalink

Hi Missy!
      I am glad you are saying hello today. I really keeps me going to get comments from you all. I makes it more real than typing into a screen of nothingness. You are a juggler too! Yes we mommas and daddy’s too juggle like crazy, there are days I think I live in my car making sure they all get to where they need to be. I am sorry to hear about your vertigo and so strange indeed that the docs could not figure it out. Is it Meniere’s disease, I had a few girlfriends with it and it is terrible!! I think a good quote to go with procrastination is – it all gets done, somehow, but it all gets done. And another one is- priorities are what we are doing. I like that one because sometimes I think I should be this or that, or doing this or that, and what I am really doing is all the stuff that really needs to be done! Food somehow gets on the table, my kids are somehow happy, the laundry somehow gets done (much thanks for my hubby and family). It’s all good! Little by little I think many are finding that healthy food is helping us to feel better and live better. It is a process that has taken me many years and I am sure many more! Now if I can only make myself drink more water! Ha! Thanks for popping in Missy. Drop in now and again and say hi!
      Robin

17. Posted July 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

This is a great post! I always enjoy reading real-people blogs, and yours is one of them! 🙂

I’m 21 years old, I own a cake decorating business, and I just recently took a leap into the world of blogging, for the sake of learning more about cooking/baking/cake decorating from experience and journaling about it all.

I am scatterbrained, and often as a result, disorganized… I am also a dreamer, and often think I can do a lot more than I actually can. I am also creative. (It seems like those things go together…)

I love Jesus, I am one of 12 children, and I am also blessed. 🙂

‘Tis a pleasure to “Meet” you!

–Naomi

Posted July 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM | Permalink

Welcome to the world of blogging! So glad to meet you Naomi! Congratulations on you cake decorating business, that sounds like so much work and fun too! One of 12 wow! You were meant to be a baker being one of a dozen;-)
      Warmly,
      Robin

18. Posted July 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM | Permalink

Greetings from Texas! I stumbled across your blog about three years ago looking for ideas for picnic food for a long car trip. Your site was so entertaining and informative that I’ve been a regular reader ever since. In these three years, I became an older first-time mother and I really enjoy reading how you juggle your families schedules while maintaining a creative blog and cooking great food! Both my husband and I work full-time in government and have a long commute and so your tips and tricks for make-ahead meals are welcome as are your experiences with the Paleo diet–something I’d like to try some time. Keep writing and cooking and I’ll keep reading and salivating!

Jennifer

Posted July 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM | Permalink

Hi Jennifer
      Thanks so much for the intro! Glad you are finding good info on BRK. You have had a busy 3 years- a baby, congratulations! I’ll keep on writing, thanks for reading
      Cheers!
      Robin

19. Posted July 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

I am…. just like you! 🙂 What a wonderful post~ thanks for sharing YOU. xoxox!

20. Linda
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue – I’m 52 years old, live in Southern Illinois just 20 minutes outside of St. Louis. I have 3 kids, ages 19, 21, and 23. My husband and kids are the best thing to ever happen to me. I work full-time and came across your website looking for mason jar recipes to bring something different in my lunch. I was so excited to learn about paleo and cross fit. I’ve been gluten free since April and feel great. I do have a weakness for Jelly Belly’s though! I plan to keep on exercising, strive to eat natural, and to age gracefully!

Posted July 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM | Permalink

Hi Linda!
      So glad you found me. I like that- age gracefully! I have gone 80/20 with paleo and it isn’t working out too well for me. I have to be more strict to feel well. I bombed on energy this week! Thanks for popping in!
      Robin

21. Posted August 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM | Permalink

What a fabulous post!

Hi, my name is Cathy and I am an….

I cry over movies, books and some commercials, though in real life situations I do not. I have an addiction to cookbooks. I am not as organized as I used to be. I love to cook, bake, hike and ride my bike; this equals to a house that is not as clean as I like it to be. I love watching our daughter grow and prosper. I started my blog to help keep me busy while our daughter was on a month long trip to India for a class, sans computer and phone, and now this is a new addiction. I like to read even though my eyes no longer do. I have a wonderful husband and we are our own bosses. Life is good. Beautiful photo of you.

Posted August 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM | Permalink

Hi Cathleen,
      Life is good and mine is jammed packed right now with the kids home, but that is how I like it. You can tell I have been so busy as I have not done the last two WW!!. Don’t kick me out yet.
      Hope to catch the next one!

22. Ray Taylor
    Posted August 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM | Permalink

Thank you for sharing yourself, your thoughts, and your recipes with us! It’s nice to “meet” you, even if only electronically.