Summertime Movie Nights

Our Summer Cinema is officially open! We are making it a bit of a summer tradition here to have Movie Nights at the house of BRK. Evites go out, mostly to make it all seem so official, kids show up, they enjoy treats and a great movie, and I enjoy listening to them all giggle. I keep the entire night very basic and simple and mimic a real movie experience by providing tons of popcorn and a touch of typical movie candy fare.

Target or Walmart always seems to have their movie candies on sale for a dollar a box or less. Score!  Way cheaper than the real movies. Now my kids see how much of a rip-off it is to buy candy at the theaters.

We place a bit of the candy out in plastic cups with small spoons and offer the children 3 ounce portion cups to build their own candy assortment from the Candy Bar.  I place out a big pitcher of iced water, who cares if it spills (it always does), and they don’t need soda with that candy anyway. I found the popcorn cups in the dollar section at Target, the kids loved them, and there is always a huge bowl of popcorn for refills. I do not put butter on the popcorn as I envision hands getting wiped on my couch, but I do offer a small shaker of White Cheddar sprinkle for those who want a bit of flavor on their popcorn- I personally like it with just a touch of sea salt.

Last night we had 10 kids piled into our Family Room giggling to “Master of Disguise,” perfect for our age group of 6-15 years old boys and girls.  A fortnight ago’s film was “Galaxy Quest.” Next up “The Sand Lot.”

Do you have any good film suggestions for children ages 6-15? Please share!

1. Krista Heine
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

Love this idea. What really surprised me about the picture you added was that your t.v. wasn’t really big or even flat screen, but the kids still came and enjoyed it just the same.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

Thank you Krista! We live in an area were most families have media rooms with projectors, so even though our TV is small the kids had a blast being together. A good lesson that less can be more, and to always make do with what you have!

2. sharon
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM | Permalink

I love how intentional you are about investing in your family! Oh, and I’m coveting that white bookcase with the closed cupboards at the bottom. :o)
    ~Sharon

3. Candi
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM | Permalink

Ferris bueller, little rascels, baby blues is one of my favorite.

4. kelli
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM | Permalink

The Race to Witch Mountain, all of The 3 Ninjas, and all of The Mighty Ducks…

great idea with the candy bar… we always make Candy Salad for movie nights 😉

5. sharon
    Posted July 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

Movie suggestion– The Apple Dumpling Gang. My 11-yr old daughter and her friends loved it. Snack bowl combo– dump bag of corn chips, pretzels and cheetos in a big bowl and mix it up. I typically get the Trader Joes brand of chips, etc… Tasty combo.
    ~Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM | Permalink

Oh yeah that is a good movie, forgot about that one! Mmm love that salty combination, sounds good, thank you Sharon!

6. Bebe
    Posted July 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM | Permalink

My kids are in their twenties and still quote from Uncle Buck and What about Bob…classics!

7. Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM | Permalink