Wok Wednesdays: Yin Yang Beans

I remember years ago when Ma would host lavish parties, which always became the talk of the neighborhood. She and Daddy sure knew how to throw a party. Nothing wild, but fun, with great food, crazy games, and a warmth that made everyone feel at home. Going even further back to when I was quite little, I can remember getting up early the next day after one of their big affairs to a house where ladies’ perfume along with cigarette smoke lingered, I picked at a few leftover peanuts and pretzels, ran my fingers over the pretty glasses that held adult drinks, peeked at some of the hostess gifts, and fantasized over someday having my own big parties. But here is the funny thing, Ma always tried out new recipes on her guests, never knowing if it would work or not. We teased her for that, sometimes gave her a good ribbing for what on earth would she do if the entire meal of new recipes bombed. Ma never wavered, she was confident, and always pulled it off. I have always said, it isn’t about being a good cook, it’s about knowing a good recipe from bad, and she mastered that. Still does!

And here’s where Yin Yang Beans come in to play. I have never made this dish before, and last night I made it for our company, with great confidence because every recipe I have tried from Grace’s Stir-Frying to the Sky’s Edge has never let me down, so why would it this time? Another great dish.  Thank you Grace!  The recipe called for ground pork, and after seeing the red pepper flakes in the recipe, I thought I would make it even spicier by using a smokey hot Andouille sausage in place of the ground pork. We loved the heat of this dish which went perfectly with my Company Pork Tenderloin.

Yin Yang Beans

Here are all my Wok Wednesday articles if you would like to catch up.

The WW meet here to discuss the dishes, ask and answer questions, and join in the giveaway fun. If you would like to join us, simply purchase the book and jump in.

1. Posted July 11, 2012 at 6:06 AM | Permalink

Your beans look delicious and I especially like the use of andouille. Friends who dine with us understand that they will often be tasters for new dishes and it always turns out fine and sometimes really great. Now that you mention it, I remember waking up often to those same smells in the house.

2. Posted July 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM | Permalink

the andouille looks ridiculous…i want to eat the whole batch of beans!

3. Posted July 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

Love the pics, as always, and the Andouille sounds like a great idea. I look forward to trying that pork recipe soon! Just wondering — did you pickle the ginger yourself?

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

No, I found a jar of pickled ginger at whole foods in the area that has sushi making ingredients. I hope I used the right thing. You have to pat it dry since it is in a brine.

4. Posted July 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

I love the idea of using Andouille. Must have been fabulous! I must remember this. 🙂

5. Posted July 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM | Permalink

The whole meal looks delicious. I love how daring your mom was by serving new dishes to the guests. Looks like you’ve inherited some of her adventurous spirit.

6. Posted July 28, 2012 at 4:42 AM | Permalink

What a stunning dinner & I love your lovely pictures too! 🙂
    Food that makes me smile,…a lot!

7. Wendy
    Posted August 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

I feel pretty dumb asking this, but… where is the recipe?

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM | Permalink

Hi Wendy,
      For the Wok Wednesday recipes the group has decided not to post the recipes but encourage readers to purchase Grace’s book. Many groups of this type do it that way. The write ups are our opinions about the recipe, any changes we made, and networking together as we share. Even those who do not have a blog can join us and learn this fabulous kind of cooking. Wok Wednesdays even has a FB page you can check out.
      Thanks!
      Robin

8. Wendy
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

Gotcha, thanks for the response and info, I will go check out the book.
    Cheers!

9. Jennifer
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

This looks so wonderful, but I live in the Netherlands, where spicy sausage is hard to come by. Could you recommend a substitution, considering the sausages I can get here are more bratwurst like?

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Jennifer,
      Bacon works well for this too. But I also think a nice Weisswurst may work as it would absord so much of the Asian flavor. Do you have access to Polish keilbasa? That would be nice as it has a smokey flavor. Hope you find something!
      Robin