Back in the USA

I am home from my Berlin Holiday and purposely, very slowly easing into back into my life. I am holding on to the Berliner ways of life for dear life: grabbing my shopping basket and purchasing only what I need from the market to get me through one day, going out for coffee (although all alone, I do it), baking fresh bread each day, placing planks of fresh cut radishes, fruit, and olives out on the table…all day long. Hurricane Sandy extended my trip by two days and in those two days Maggie, my friend with whom I was staying enjoyed two “everyday days” together, not running about the city playing world travellers, but as two women running a home; shopping, cooking, and hosting play-dates with her son’s wee friends. And maybe quite possibly those were our favorite days, the routine of running a home, sipping tea together and enjoying the last hours of face to face chats about nothing and everything.

I returned home with energy and a sense of renewal, a kind of rebooting so to speak. I needed it. I am grateful for my husband who held down the fort while I was away. I think he does a better job at running a home than I do! I am grateful to Maggie’s friends and husband who watched her little boy so that two exhausted moms could get out and have a few days of going for long walks, shopping, and going out for coffee.  We really did Berlin!  For a short time while there I had pondered whether I was being selfish for going away for 2 weeks, that maybe I didn’t deserve to ask so much of my family to cook, clean, go to childcare after school, and do without their mother and wife for so long. I wasn’t there for business, it was all pleasure.

But the “mommy guilt” dissolved when I was greeted at the airport by my kids and Himself with a bouquet of flowers all excited to hear about every detail of my trip. They were really happy for me. I mean REALLY happy! Sometimes taking a step away from my routine life makes me miss it and love it even more. And I sensed that my family enjoyed a little break from me too because Himself bought Twinkies for hurricane survival. (Mom would NEVER do that.)  Three cheers for Dad!

I am richly blessed.

1. Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

Good for you! Those days of living like a local are always my favorites when traveling. 2 weeks is just right to see the sights and live the life! Welcome back!

Dave

2. Posted November 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,
    How lovely. I think I’m living vicariously through your experience, the time is approaching. My youngest is 3 1/2. My latest venture (besides getting my RN re-activated after 11 years!) are Jersey cows! The milk is lovely. The milking is transcendental! So I will let you know when I make the trip to Jersey Isle off the coast of Normandy. It may be two years from now but I’m dreaming. Your post inspires me and I so wish I could share one of those cups of coffee with you!
    God Bless!
    Suzy

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Hi Suzy,
      Good for you for dreaming big and getting your RN going again! I loved being a nurse! Do plan for the trip and make it happen.
      Robin

3. Coconut
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM | Permalink

So glad you had such a wonderful trip, and homecoming. 🙂

It is important to get out of one’s routine, and reboot, as you said.

Not that you all didn’t miss each other, but by doing so, you also changed the routine for those at home.

If nothing else, everyone got some Twinkies out of the deal. That just cracked me up. 😀

The photographs you posted here are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them, as well as some of your trip details.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Thanks Coconut, it was wonderful!

4. Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM | Permalink

So glad you had such a great trip Robin Sue. Your photos are beautiful and you are right about coming home with a new appreciation and fresh outlook. Sometimes Twinkies are the right thing to do.

5. Lisa
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Welcome Back! It looks like you had a glorious time! I had to check in…I wasn’t sure if I just wasn’t getting posts, or if posting had just tapered off a bit! 🙂
    I love the idea of planking those healthy foods and letting them out all day….wondering if it would help me untintentionally eat better (and oddly less). Will try it!

6. tracie
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

i just found your lovely blog i’m a new follower via +google.
    nice photos and sounds like a wonderful way to spend your extra bonus days visiting.