Crockpot Hot Cocoa

Here is a fun and easy Entertaining idea. You know I love to share Hot Cocktail Bars with my guests, right? See my Rum Hot Cocktail Bar, and Christmas Hot Cocktail Bar.  The other night we had Himself’s office party here and there is something so gemütlich (cozy) about providing a hot beverage after a meal. To wrap our hands around that steaming mug of something chocolaty and maybe even spiked is so warming and comforting.  For the office party I made a Crockpot Hot Cocoa which was perfect! It never got that weird slick of goo that is common with using milk, so this recipe presented itself very well ladleful after ladleful.  I served this with choices of Andes Peppermint Crunch Candies, teeny tiny marshmallows, whipped cream, Kahlua, and Baileys Irish Cream.  Katherine who shared this recipe on her blog, Creating Through Life also stated to try adding a cinnamon stick to the batch or even some instant coffee for a mocha.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Crockpot Hot Cocoa
Recipe type: Beverage
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 15-18
Rich and creamy Crockpot Hot Cocoa
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
  • 15 cups water
  • 1 cup Dutch-process Cocoa powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
  1. In a large 5 quart crockpot whisk together milk, water, cocoa, and vanilla. Cover and cook on high 2 hours. Serve with peppermint candies, Kahlua, Baileys, whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips, or any other Hot Cocoa favorite toppings.

1. Posted December 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

I so want to come over!!!
    Candy Canes make nice stirrers, too.

2. Posted December 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

Great idea to use the condensed milk. We found that hot chocolate is really good spiked with brandy!

3. Posted December 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM | Permalink

Sounds yummy I’ve never seen cocoa done this way! I’d love to have you link it up with me here!

4. Posted December 20, 2012 at 5:27 AM | Permalink

this is a very useful recipe, robin sue!

5. Posted December 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

I have never thought about using the crockpot to make hot cocoa before. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

6. Posted December 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

What a great idea Robin Sue. We are having a group over to our house next week. I just may give this a try. Merry Christmas you you and your family.

7. Posted December 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

Hey Robin Sue! Just wanted to stop by and wish you and your family a wonderful Merry Christmas!! Hugs!

p.s. I tried to put together your hot cocoa bar for our office on Friday, but everyone left early! 🙁

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM | Permalink

Oh No!

8. Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the linkback. I love the options you served it with!

9. Hillary
    Posted January 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM | Permalink

I can’t find Dutch-process cocoa at any of the stores here…can I substitute real cocoa? Help!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 31, 2014 at 12:55 AM | Permalink

Yes, that will work fine!