‘Cause if you made it, then you should have put a egg on it’

Sung to “All the Single Ladies”

DSC01718 One trick I have learned in all my years of cooking is that once an egg is added to a simple meal, one has a feast. For example, we have been more purposeful at using up all our leftovers. I mean come on, every time I throw away food, it is as if I am throwing dollar bills in the trashcan, and with the high cost of groceries, this terrible habit has to stop. So now I stirfry bits of leftovers into nice and comforting hashes, or put them into a pasta, or into a salad, but when the bits of this and that are topped with a glorious poached egg, the meal is a feast- gourmet even. All the restaurants do it. And that poached egg atop your meal, once broken, releases a lava of the most decadent of all sauces, the yolk. Here is how a poached egg rounded out a simple Caprese Salad…

DSC01598

Tips on making the perfect Poached Egg…
1.  Bring a pot of water to a boil and then turn it down to a light simmer. Jacques Pépin likes to call this a shiver. I love that!
2. Pour a splash of vinegar into the water.
3. Break the egg into a teacup and as close to the surface of the water as possible pour the egg into the area of the water where it is shivering the most.
4.  After about 10 seconds lightly nudge the egg with a spoon to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
5. Depending on how you like your egg, the egg should be done after about 2.5-3 minutes.
6.  Use a large slotted spoon to remove the egg.

I like my eggs runny and feel most comfortable when they are from Safest Choice Eggs.
Many times when I am out, I ask for basted eggs. I get the deer in headlights stare, so if you would like to learn this technique, Safest Choice just put out a great video on how to do this.

I am an Ambassador for Safest Choice Eggs. Fondly known as the Darling Dozen.

How do you like your eggs?

1. Posted February 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM | Permalink

I am all with you for using all the leftovers and not throwing them away. Some still escape my notice ~ but not too many. But I am not with you on runny eggs of any sort. To me, that is unappetizing!

2. Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue – As you might expect, I totally endorse this post and like both of your dishes. I’ve never put an egg on Caprese Salad, but will sure give it a try – nearly everything’s better with an egg.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM | Permalink

My friend in Germany made me the caprese salad with an egg on top for breakfast one day- delish!

3. Posted February 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

Have you met the queen of leftovers? 🙂 I can take leftovers and make a delicious soup anytime. I like my eggs cooked… scrambled and well-cooked, fried hard… don’t really care for the runny egg.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM | Permalink

Soup is another great leftover make over!

4. Posted February 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

a big, fat runny egg automatically enhances nearly everything it rests upon. 🙂

5. Coconut
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM | Permalink

What a great idea, and I think you may have come up with some sort of new catch phrase:

“Put an egg on it.” 😀

No eggs in my diet these days, but back in the day I always liked them well scrambled, or in an omelette, and would mix in all manner of things into both.