On enjoying slow, passive cooking: applesauce

DSC01725-001 There’s nothing to it actually. Select some calming music, brew a cuppa, and start peeling some nice, crisp apples, it doesn’t really matter what kind so long as you choose the ones you like. Sometimes I use four Granny Smith and four Gala, sometimes all eight apples are sweet. It’s a mood thing with me. I peel the apples,  sip my tea, tap my foot to the music, and think easy thoughts. It’s un-rushed, effortless cooking. If you can peel some apples, you can do this too. I take my peeled, sloppily cored and diced apples and place them in a large pot with about a cup of water, and that’s all- no sugar, no cinnamon, only the apples to shine and fill the room with comforting aromas. I get them to a boil, cover them up, and bring them down to a slow, lazy simmer. Go on and let them simmer, for a while, I have never measured the time. Why not let them go until they can be mashed with a fork. That seems to be a sensible place to stop.  If they get too thick, add water, if you want them thicker, take the lid off for a while and let the liquid simmer out. Once the fresh smelling apples are mashed,  take off the heat, and serve. Easy, passive, walk away cooking. This is a favorite dish of my family, they don’t even miss the sugar, and I enjoy hearing this little phrase, “wow, this tastes just like apples,” every time.
And that’s just peachy with me.

Embrace the simple, don’t complicate things. Sometimes cooking without a recipe is a nice break.

What type of relaxed cooking have you enjoyed lately?

1. Posted February 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM | Permalink

Sounds yummy and I bet it smells delicious & homey. I don’t like sugar in my applesauce anyway!

2. sharon
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM | Permalink

Robin,
    I make it even more passive. I core and quarter the apples and throw them in my Blendtec skins and all. I pulse, or puree, depending on my mood. Sometimes I serve raw, sometimes I heat it on the stove to bring out the natural sugars. I do the same thing with peasr. Ahh… simple food seasoned with hunger.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM | Permalink

Yes we have done it in the vitamin for a raw taste! Really good too

3. Posted February 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

I don’t add the water but I do add cinnamon and a litttle bit of honey. I do it differently every time. It’s a mood thing but so good. I like to do pot roast and anything in a crock pot is relax cooking and so yummy. MA

4. Jeannie K
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM | Permalink

I add a handful of red hot candies and let them dissolve.

5. Coconut
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

Hi,

How is your shoulder? Much better, I hope.

Actually, in the last month or so, I made that very same recipe, twice. Once with apples, and then with pears.

(The pears contain far more water than the apples, so next time I will use even less water for them.)

At some point I’ll use apples and pears at the same time.

I like to leave my fruit with the peel on it for this recipe, but either way it is yummy. 🙂

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

The shoulder improves daily! But still in a sling. I would love to try this recipe with pear!

6. BethC
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM | Permalink

I grate fresh ginger in, and I dip the apples into a lemon water solution before they go into the slow cooker.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Fresh ginger sounds nice!

7. Kris
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

Love making applesauce. My husband thinks he’s hit the jackpot when I have fresh applesauce.