Tex-Mex Night never tasted so good

DSC01850After waving the white flag and asking the kids what kind of dinners they wanted, they came up with 7 Nights– Panini, Soup, Meat, Pasta, Tex-Mex, Pizza, and Fish (which really means to them fish sticks or a fillet o’fish.) I kicked off the new plan with a Tex-Mex Night. I didn’t want to go with traditional tacos with corn or flour tortilla shells, so I introduced the kids to taco baked potatoes. I know, I know, a risk right? Especially after their outburst of, “can’t you just make regular food?” I feel they already eat so many refined carbs in the way of bread, crackers, and cookies, that I hoped to introduce them to a new idea.  I knew they liked baked potatoes so I took the chance and simply turned it all into a Baked Potato Taco Bar. Don’t tell them potatoes are a whole food.

DSC01842With only being able to cook with one arm, you can see here that I kept everything very low key and let everyone stuff their own potato according to their taste-buds.

The Offerings?
Ground Beef with taco seasoning
Baked Idaho and Sweet Potatoes
Shredded Cheese
Butter
Coconut Butter
Sour Cream
Guacamole
Pineapple Mango Salsa
Regular Salsa
Hot Sauce

I think my Taco combinations was TOPS!
A baked sweet potato spread with coconut butter and topped with taco meat, guacamole, and mango salsa. The Coconut Butter made it shine!

I think everyone was happy.

Do you have a Tex-Mex Night?  What are some of your favorite Tex-Mex dishes?

1. Posted February 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

If I could have tex-mex every night I would be a happy camper – but my hubs has other ideas! I think I’ll make a sweet potato version for my SIL’s lunch next week, she loves sweet potatoes!

2. Joyce Kinsey
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

Sounds great! One day those kids will be very thankful they didn’t eat the standard over processed American Diet.

3. Alicia S
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM | Permalink

When I do tex-mex I make ground turkey seasoned with a bit of taco bell seasoning, then make a salad with romaine lettuce, bell peppers, radishes, shredded cheese and then the taco meat on top. My kids love it and so do I and it’s low carb!

4. sharon
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM | Permalink

Yum-O-Liscious! You got it goin’ on! The great thing about this meal, you only had to make one substitution for yourself to make it paleo (add sweet potatoes). For the pasta night you could sub spaghetti squash for yourself and whoever else is game. Just be sure to doctor up the sauce for your kids and blend it up in the Blendtec–they’ll never guess you threw in kale, zucchini and pureed cauliflower. :o) If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em (kind-of). ~Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

One and it’s done! I do the spag squash thing but need to take your suggestion and add more veggies to the sauce- great idea!

5. Posted February 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM | Permalink

on a sweet potato!?! what a delicious idea!

6. Mandah
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM | Permalink

LOL – “can’t you just make regular food?” – I hear this ALL the time!