and it has come to this…

photo (1)-002 They won. Back in January we had a bad week here, a bad food week that is. I was happy eating healthy dishes, fresh vegetables, and the such, but the kids were fed up with the unpredictable meal nights, me trying new recipes or cuisines on them, and healthy foods. They whined and cried, “can’t you just make normal food? We are tired of chicken.” So I gave up. I told them that I was done cooking for a bunch of ingrates and that I was going to go to Costco and fill the fridge and freezer with premade chemical laden bags and boxes of food and find another family who would kill for my cooking. “Good!” they said, and added “don’t forget the Captain Crunch Berries cereal while you’re at it!” (Remember I have not purchased breakfast cereal in 2 years. Poor babies.)

I was done! Trying to balance healthy meals, shop within budget, offer paleo and conventional offerings, all without appreciation. Forget it!

But be careful what you wish for because you just may get it.

Soon after making this declaration and having a full blown pity party for myself, I fell and dislocated my shoulder and am now in a sling for 4 weeks with plenty of pain and lack of use of my left arm; I am left-handed. Then I wished I could cook for my family, I had no way of serving them, or nourishing them. Sure I could still do some stuff, but it took forever and with much pain and complication. What a lesson. This gave me time to regroup. You can see from the photo that about 5 days after my injury, I handed my iphone to my kids and said, “OK what do YOU want for dinner, what kind of ‘nights’?”

I think I can work with that list. And maybe, just maybe, everyone will be happy.

Follow along as I make my kids happy, provide healthy options, and still maintain a paleo mealtime for Himself and me.  All with one arm.  Gulp…

Do you create your weekly menu around “theme nights” too?  What are some of your ideas?

1. Anna in Atlanta
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM | Permalink

I’ve got a general “grains” day and a “rice” day. Grains is usually something like millet risotto, a barley casserole, or a millet broccoli ‘pie,’ and rice is usually something over rice — curry, veggie stir fry, something Asian. I’ve only just started with the themes but it helps a lot in narrowing down what to make each week.

Good luck with dinner and your shoulder!

2. Posted February 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

I hate what you are going through both with the injury and the kids responses to your meals. I don’t know their ages, but this might afford an opportunity let them do the cooking for you.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

Agree!

3. Holly
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

Thank you for posting this. I thought I was the only one who went into pity party mode over such silliness from the family. I suppose that if you were able to step back and make a plan, I can too. Thanks for the ideas.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

Home Cooks Unite! We can do it!

4. attaboygirl
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM | Permalink

I think with all the pain and whining I would have been tempted to go buy five loaves of bread and five packages of bologna. After a few days of that maybe they would be more sympathetic and appreciative of mom. Hope your recovery from all is swift.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM | Permalink

I had a friend do that with PBJ, they got the idea real fast:-)

5. Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM | Permalink

I seem to do a Mexican theme Saturday nights. I make home made salsa, the last few Saturdays? Home version of chipotle, tacos another Saturday, baked enchildas, fajitas, etc… it’s so good and so much fun!

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM | Permalink

Jenn that is a good idea to make homemade salsa, my kids would enjoy that and they could try all different recipes. They seem to like peach salsa too.