“Mason Jar Meals, Just Screw It”

DSC01941 Although the Mason Jar Meal trend seems to be sputtering to an end in the media, it is still a way of life here in BRK. Going on three years now, we have enjoyed our meals on the go from Mason Jars. I still chuckle when people at parties I attend state, “Really!? You are still doing that?” [Really?! You are still breathing?] Or emails from people asking, “What am I missing here, I don’t get this Mason Jar thing?” I wonder if that same person has written Tupperware that very question, or gladware, or pyrex, or ziploc, or rubbermaid, or… the list goes on. To me, it is a storage vessel plain and simple and that is all. No canning. No preserving. No hot water baths. No boiling. No sterilizing. No sealing. Just screwing.  Screw. Screw. Screw. All ya gotta do is screw.  That’s it.

That’s it!  Mason Jar Meals, Just Screw It!  I likey.

Meals from Left to Right…
Asian Chicken Salad, from the bottom up, shredded cabbage, chopped broccoli, grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, walnuts, with a side of ginger dressing.
2. Asian Shrimp Salad, same as the chicken but with shrimp and cashews. Always place your nuts in a grease-proof cupcake liner at the top of your meal.
3. Roasted Salmon on a bed or romaine hearts, hard cooked egg, olives, cherry tomatoes, topped with shrimp and a side of vinaigrette dressing.
4. Chopped Chef Salad, from the bottom up, un-cured sliced deli ham, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, diced cukes, diced red onion, diced hard cooked egg, julienned romaine using a plastic knife to prevent browning with a side jar of vinaigrette dressing.

Store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. No, you can’t freeze these. No, you can’t water bath these- yes I get that question all the time.  No, you can’t ship these to your son in Timbuktu.  Make it now, eat it in three, maybe even four [days].

What is your favorite vessel for taking meals on the go?

Another way BRK is Keepin’ it Glassy, [or not]

1. Posted March 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

Great rant Robin Sue

2. Barbara
    Posted March 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

I hate plastic for storage. Give me a Mason Jar anytime!

3. Posted March 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM | Permalink

I need to get some wide mouth jars – hoping to stock up this summer at garage sales, I’ve been giving too much of my baja fresh salsa away!

Glad your arm is getting better – I read parts of Virginia might get 20 inches of snow – yikes!!

4. Jane McGregor
    Posted March 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM | Permalink

I for one LOVE your MJMs. What’s not to love. Like you said, it’s just like using Tupperware but its a nice clear glass. And the convenience of the whole idea of putting one portion in each jar is just so smart, I wish I had thought of it. Keep the ideas coming and don’t worry about any negative comments… they are just negative comments and really have nothing to do with the beauty you are bringing to the world with your great ideas for fun, everyday living and eating well with loved ones. I’m a fan!

5. Crystal Nielsen
    Posted March 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM | Permalink

I just discovered your blog today (from pinterest). I am very excited to do the Mason Jar Meals! I had never heard of them before, but they make so much sense. I am getting ready to cook up some steel cut oats for this weeks breakfasts. I’m getting groceries tomorow, and it will be centered off your ideas! I made your pancake squares this morning. The kids loved them. We put peanut butter on top with sliced bananas and a little bit of syrup. Thanks.

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

Great! So glad the kiddos liked the squares! The jar meals have been wonderful for us, always something fresh to go

6. Carla Harlan
    Posted March 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM | Permalink

I’ve even gotten my 82 year old mother using mason jars!! You can teach an old dog new tricks.. I sure wish all my jars were wide mouth. I have dish pack boxes of regular ones…some over 40 years old!!

7. Mari
    Posted April 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

I’m curious. Why not put the fruit in the bottom of the jar, followed by chicken/shrimp or whatever, with veggies, and then finally top w/ lettuce. That way, when you turn it out on a plate, the lettuce will be on the bottom, with toppings in order? Reverse order would keep the lettuce from getting soggy from juicy ingredients such as mandarin oranges and sliced tomatoes (assuming no cherry tomatoes are available).

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM | Permalink

Yup, you can do it that way too. I find the mandarin to be very delicate, so I place them in a grease-proof cupcake paper and place on top, then top my salad with them when I turn the salad out on a plate. Either way works well.

8. Mari
    Posted April 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM | Permalink

I’ve never heard of grease-proof cupcake paper; but I admit that I’m not much of cupcake baker! I like to bring salads for my lunch at the office (in tupperware or something similar, but I will tray the mason jar method, too). I will definitely look for the grease-proof paper to use in the future! Thanks!