How do you Hobo?

photo (2)
Ah come on, everyone loves the Hobo Supper, which is really the turf version of a clam bake or crab boil: everything in the same pan, pot, or fire. Now that it is hot, my all glass kitchen can get very warm in the evening, just in time for dinner. So I have to be clever like making one pot, one pan, crockpot, or grilled dinners. But I would love to learn more versions of the Hobo Supper. Do you know any? Please share if you do.

I put some asparagus with this meal, which of course made it mushy, but the kids seemed to like it. Next time, I’ll keep the asparagus in it’s own pan and throw it in the oven towards the end of the Hobo’s baking time.

photo (2)

Here’s what I do: This will serve 6.
1. For each person thinly slice (about 1/8 inch) 2 red potatoes and place in pie pan or on a big piece of foil.
2. To make 6 Meat Patties- mix 1.5 pounds 85% lean ground beef, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce,  1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 cup finely chopped onions.  Divide into 6 one inch thick patties.
3. Top each pan of potatoes with a meat patty and sprinkle the potatoes generously with seasoned salt or garlic salt and pepper, then drizzle with a olive oil, especially over the potatoes.
4. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
5. Serve with BBQ Sauce, Ketchup, or HP Sauce.

How do you make HOBO SUPPERS? I would love some ideas for more Hobo Suppers- Team BRK likes them, so all the more the better. Plus no dishes. OK, well I lied, we do wash the pie pans if they aren’t in bad shape.

photo (2)-001

This is my de Buyer La Mandoline* that allows me to breeze through potatoes.  I asked for it last Christmas after I got to use one in Chicago when I competed in a Cooking Competition (and won:) I had never sliced potatoes so thinly and so quickly before.  The right tools help you win!
*I placed this little gem in my amazon store where, if you buy, I get a little grocery money for the referral. Thanks!

1. Posted June 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

I’ve not heard of the Hobo Meal term, but as a scout leader in my younger days, we would make this in foil and toss it in the campfire coals. When it puffed up really tight from the steam, it was pretty well done. Yours look very tasty.

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

I usually do it in foil but was out and found these pie pans in my pantry. Which the kids thought were great- their own plate!

2. Ouida Lampert
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM | Permalink

We made these in foil packets, too – called them “trail burgers.” I always liked sliced onions in with my potatoes, and a slather of ketchup BEFORE cooking. It changes in the heat.

I had to Google HP sauce, as I had never heard of it. I grew up in the south, so maybe that’s why.

• Sue Weekley
      Posted July 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

HP sauce is not an American product. It’s a product of the UK.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 19, 2015 at 4:57 PM | Permalink

Correct and can be found here too. It is so good!

3. sharon
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM | Permalink

We use our crockpot a lot! It’s my most faithful servant. I turn her on, tell her what temperature to cook on, then leave, confident and secure, knowing that she will get the job done. She never complains, doesn’t stop working when nobody is watching, and always does a great job. We like to put chicken breasts with various sauces/veggie combos– salsa, BBQ, coconut milk curry, sweet-n-sour, etc… This main dish item is then paired with things such as brown rice, quinoa, BIG salad, potato or sweet potato, tortillas, cauliflower rice (thank you, Robin Sue), artisan lettuce wraps, millet, etc… For crowds we like to make pulled pork and serve it with rolls and coleslaw. Looking forward to hearing other ideas! Sharon

4. Barbara Martin
    Posted July 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM | Permalink

I love what you are doing here. You can wrap many combinations of meals in foil and put on the grill and not heat up your kitchen in the summer. the pie tins covered in foil would work too, just have to keep an eye on them and put on a top shelf on you grill if you have one.

5. Kristina
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM | Permalink

When you say Dijon.. Are you talkin about Dijon Mustard?

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

yes, good ole dijon mustard, love the stuff!

6. Wendy Goralski
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

I do this in foil also, but i put a little twist on it…potatoes, onions,gr.peppers, summer squash, kielbasa quartered and butter over a bed of coals, This is great when you make piles of different items and let them make their own.

7. Soph
    Posted September 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM | Permalink

This a variation on foil pack campfire meals. There are tons of food combinations you can use this method for cooking. I really like foil pack cooking because foil can be tossed when done so literally no dishes.

Try sweet potatoes, ham, and pineapple slices. Use a couple pays of butter and sprinkle of brown sugar.

Also potatoes, smoke kielbasa slices, yellow onion slices, and frozen corn. Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

There is a couple to get you going but there are lots of others. Google search Hobo campfire meals, or foil pack camping meals for recipes.

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM | Permalink

Thank you!!

• Bob Otto
      Posted November 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM | Permalink

My father had his meal at the steel mills this way back in the 1950’s. My mother would double wrap them in foil and when it was almost time to eat my father would put his in a hot rolled steel pipe to cook it and get it when the pipe was down the rollers a little bit. He had a hot meal even in the winter.

Served these to our children at home and on campouts many times. They still eat them even though they are on their own with their famlies.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM | Permalink

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing!!

8. Jean
    Posted September 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM | Permalink

We use potatoes, small cobs of corn, meat patty, drizzle with olive oil and season. Pie pans are a great idea instead of foil. We have tried many combinations while camping over the last 40 years. love them all.

9. Jean
    Posted September 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

We do this in Girl Scouts and did hamburger or chicken breast pieces, carrots, potatoes, bacon strips, onions and mushrooms with Lawrys seasoning salt.

10. Posted September 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM | Permalink

I do this a lot and love it. Will start using the pie plates. Great idea. We have a Cookshack electric smoker and I use that instead of the oven or grill. It gives it that grilled flavor with the ease of the crockpot. Since we are empty nesters I like to make up several at a time then freeze them. That way when I am quilting my husband still gets dinner.

• Merry
      Posted November 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM | Permalink

Do you make these ahead with raw veggies and meat together and then cook later? Is it food safe to combine raw veggies, sauces and meat for the freezer and then cook later? Thanks.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

Either way will work I believe. But you can see my asparagus over cooked from being in there from the beginning of the cook time.

• Kay Larsen
      Posted January 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

Gloria, did you freeze them raw or cooked then froze them?

11. Amanda
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM | Permalink

We make these a lot. It’s one of few things everyone will eat. To season the meat we mix Dale’s, worchestershire, season salt, and cajun seasoning into the meat then make the patties. For veggies we add potatoes, carrots, onion and green bell pepper then sprinkle everything with a little season salt and cajun. Love it!

12. Allison
    Posted September 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

My family loves hobo dinners! We make them the same every time, and they are delicious! We slice up one red potatoe (thinner the better)baby carrots, thinly sliced onion, and sometimes frozen sweet corn! Them put. Patty on top and season with salt/pepper and Montreal steak seasoning, then about 1/4 cup cream of mushroom soup! It ends up tasting similar to a Sunday roast and is delicious!!

13. Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

As we live in Cornwall, UK, we had never heard of these. However, we love the idea and intend to give it a go! We will post it to our blog when we do and let you know how we get on. Thanks for all the ideas

14. Jessica M.
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

We grew up eating these when we went camping and I absolutely LOVE the memories of cooking these & opening up the foil packets!! Strange, I know haha! My husband & I recently bought a camper & I asked my mother how she cooked these – she said she used crumbled hamburger meat &/or chicken (sometimes both), potatoes, baby carrots, add a couple table spoons of stewed tomatoes & mushroom soup – seasoned everything with pepper & garlic salt then cooked over the hot coals for an hour to hour & half.

15. Makenzie
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

We always do potatoes, squash, onions, peppers, and sometimes tomatoes. I’m a vegetarian so that’s all I put in mine. For my husband we add hamburger or “stew cuts” of beef. My mom used to layer it when she made it so it was like a lasagna of just veggies and seasonings.

16. Taylor
    Posted November 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a really wonderful idea for college students or single twenty something’s who need meals to be sized for one… I wonder how easy it would be to freeze the foil packet and then bake it.

17. Jill
    Posted January 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM | Permalink

Wonderfully easy! I always have two bottles of HP sauce on hand!

18. Jan
    Posted January 18, 2014 at 7:52 PM | Permalink

We make these on the grill. Double wrap potatoes, carrots, hamburger patty chunks of cabbage, onions and green beans. Season with whatever you like. Put two dabs of butter and one ice cube in the packets. The ice cube steams just enough while it melts and the butter browns and adds flavor.

19. Connie Barnes
    Posted January 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM | Permalink

I make these with hamburger meat, onions, carrots and frozen corn. I also put a Tbsp of butter. Sometimes a little cabbage goes in too! Since we farm, this is what I take to the field quite often. I put them in a small ice chest and they are still really hot when I get to the field!

20. Posted February 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

I do this a lot with seafood. Put some veggies like onion, peppers, zucchini on aluminum foil, add some precooked brown rice and then a piece of white fish and lemon pepper, lemon slices, salt and garlic. Cook on the bbq for about 20 minutes and eat! Yumm! You can also do this with Salmon.

21. Tracy
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM | Permalink

What about the grease from the hamburger? Doesn’t it soak everything? Isn’t it unhealthy to consume all of that grease?

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

Tracy, the grease from the meat helps cook the potatoes and other things in your hobo. I have used lean meat and found that I got hockey pucks and a dry dinner. You may be able to pour the grease off before consuming if you are watching your fat intake. Some people are using other lean but juicy meats like fish.

22. Posted March 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

What if you don’t have lean hamburger meat an I’m cooking them in the oven

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM | Permalink

You can use a fattier meat which will make a juicer meal. The potatoes or other veggies can absorb the juices. After baking you can pour off the excess grease. I tend to use a fattier meat more often than lean and find the meat is juicer and more tender.