From Manderley to Market, a stroll back in time

DSC03284-001
Oh sure, the Williamsburg Farmers Market in Merchant’s Square is a wonderful little market, but its not quite the highlight. The thrill is getting there. Living on the east side of Duke of Gloucester St. in Colonial Williamsburg, my journey takes me down the most historic mile in America.  Since it is all so new to us, it is all so magical, except for the horse poop in the street, but we try to ignore that, and dodge it too.  Here is our stroll to Market in photos…

DSC03285-001

DSC03296-001

DSC03297-001

DSC03298-001

DSC03299-001

DSC03288-001

DSC03289-001

DSC03290-001

DSC03293-001

My basket got pretty heavy from my purchases, so last week I brought a rolling bag which sounded like a Big Wheels when I pulled it. Not very quiet. So I think I’ll go back to the basket and muscling it home. It’s a good workout- Farmer Carry a 25 pound basket 1.25 miles for time. 3, 2, 1, go!

And where do I cook up all my Market Finds?

Introducing our Manderley Cottage Kitchen

DSC03309-001

Here’s the first photo of me in the little place all hot and sweaty after my Market stroll, and a mess on the floor, but it captures a happy memory. The heart of our home where many meals will be shared.  BRK and Manderely, so very different yet both so unique and special to us.

DSC03315-001

Our very first Manderley “Meat and Three”: Grass-fed bun-less burgers, slaw, cucumber salad, and cherries.

We look forward to sharing many Manderley meals with you!

1. Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM | Permalink

Oooh, I love the kitchen and the name is so charming! What a great market too. I long for living in a place where I could trek to market daily for fresh goods for the family and get my exercise all at once. Looks like you are having a fabulous time.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM | Permalink

Thank you Sheila! We are having a wonderful time. God is so Good!

2. Posted July 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

Sorry we missed each other at SML, but I love that you are spending time in Williamsburg – hopefully your weather was much better than we had! 😀

Looking forward to the BPS Kitchen fixings! 😀

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

Thanks Biz! Now you have to get to Williamsburg;)

3. Kalisa
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM | Permalink

What kind of animal is in your farmers market basket? It is soooo cute, I want one!

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

That is our Sugar Glider, Skittles. There were 3 more in the bag, his sister Spree and his parents Snickers and Necco. We had to bring them to market that day because we did not have the key to the house yet and we didn’t want them to die of heat in the van. We have had them since 2009, they live a very long time!

4. Coconut
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

Where are your period costumes? 😉 🙂

What a wonderful place to live. I visited Colonial Williamsburg when I was a teenager, and I loved it there.

Who is that little critter in your market basket?

The new BPS is delightful. I love the color, and the word play in the name.

Thanks for sharing a bit of your new world, your new home.

Wishing you all nothing but the best of memories there. 🙂

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM | Permalink

Hi Coconut!
      Oh my! Those men and women who wear those costumes in this heat are saints, I don’t know how they do it. I could manage a bonnet maybe:)
      The little guy in my basket is Skittles, a sugar glider, the other three were tucked in the little bag still afraid to come out, he is our adventurous one though and loves to see the world. We had to bring them that day as we didn’t have the key to the house yet and leaving them in the van would kill them from the heat. My kids were so afraid they would run away from the basket, but they were fine! Now I don’t know what would have happened if a dog had sniffed them out:/

5. Posted July 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM | Permalink

Beautiful walk to the market! the Williamsburg pictures are great! Watch where you walk!

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

The “Sidewalk Pâté” this time on year is especially fragrant:)