Traveling Spice Sticks: How to pack your spices

RU Packing Eat?

DSC03378-001
Do you cook on vacation? We like to rent places that have a kitchen so that we can cook a few simple meals which helps in keeping the travel budget under control. This frees up some extra cash for tickets to a show, or a meal at a super nice restaurant, or a thrill ride like parasailing.  I keep two large pill boxes well stocked with our favorite spices and spice blends for quick grab-and-go packing for when we travel.  I label the back of the containers using a Sharpie with the spice’s name so I don’t have to guess, or taste them every time. I made the mistake of going full throttle on cayenne when I thought it was paprika.

DSC03381-001

One Stick- I just like calling them Spice Sticks- has more American/European Spices while the other South American/Asian.  Now that we have Manderley Cottage, I am using my Spice Sticks until I slowly build my spice collection in the new kitchen. It takes a bit of time and money to do so, therefore the Spice Sticks are perfect and I can refill from BRK when needed.  We will be grilling often at Manderley since the grill is linked directly to the main gas line, so I think a nice supply of various pepper blends would be great.  That means a third spice stick designed specifically for grilling is soon in the making!

These work for great for camping, hotel room cooking, beach condos, or mountain cabins.

What are some of your favorite spices to pack while on travel?

1. Posted July 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

What a great idea!

2. sharon
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM | Permalink

I LOVE this idea! Packing all the minutia for cooking when we go away on long family weekends is what gets me exhausted before the trip even starts. This is slick! I love the storage, efficiency and permanency of this method. Keep ’em comin’! We love grilling, too. It makes dinner so easy. Buy meat, marinate and put it in a ziploc, put in fridge or freezer until ready to use. This time of year you can grill all sorts of delicious veggies to accompany the main dish, too. Manderley Cottage sounds so fun, whimsical, romantic. So glad you are enjoying “playing house”.
    ~Sharon

3. Coconut
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

Another clever idea from BRK. 😀

Do these get through the TSA if you take them on an airplane?

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

I would think so. The only thing that did not make it through once was my vanilla powder- white powder:/

4. Tiffany
    Posted July 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

Pink salt, chipotle pepper, coriander, nutmeg, and a house blend that I make at home that is our fav and is great on just about anything. 😀

5. Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM | Permalink

Great idea on the spices Robin Sue – we will use it in the RV to save some space.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

Thanks Larry. The ones I find I use the most often, I will buy a jar, but this does save space!

6. Liz
    Posted March 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM | Permalink

Love this idea! Will definitely use it when we go to Florida for 2 months next year.

One Trackback

1. […] isn’t all about style — practicality is a factor, too. This idea for upcycling pill boxes into spice sticks is a practical way to bring the spices you need to add flair to your […]