Is anyone interested? How to do Small Batch Cooking

RU Packing Eat?

I have been cooking in this fashion for a long time now and had wondered if anyone was interested in learning how to do small batch cooking and what to do with the items you cook. This has become an extension of Mason Jar Meals and has been a great time saver on busy nights cooking dinner for 2 dietary groups- one paleo the other non-paleo.  The “chore” of cooking is done when I have time and energy, and the meal creations come together in minutes when I have less time and am tired from the day.

For example, the food you see above I cooked in 2 hours, the time it took to prep and roast a chicken. While things were cooking, I was multi-tasking by doing laundry, cleaning up the kitchen, answering emails, and writing blog posts.  This type of cooking is pretty hands off allowing me to work around the house.  So once it is all cooked up, off it all goes in the jars, or whatever containers you like, and then can be whipped out in a matter of minutes to create meals like this…

Grilled Skewered Shrimp over Roasted Vegetables, Bacon and Egg Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette Dressing, and Coleslaw made with homemade mayonnaise.  Himself was pretty amazed when I threw this in front of him 5 minutes after he asked, “What’s for dinner?”

Why I Small Batch Cook?
1. I hate cooking when I am tired. So I make small batches of food when I have time and energy, or even small windows of time.
2.  When someone says, “I’m hungry!” I can say, “go in the fridge and get_______.”
3. When someone is hungry, they can prepare their own meal, this is especially great for little ones.
4. Saves time.
5. Saves money. When you shop and cook only what you need, you will save money as this type of cooking style does not promote waste.
6. There is a constant flow and variety of cooked food at the ready.
7. Portion control.
8.  I am lazy and if there is not food prepared I tend to grab junk, or go out to eat  which kills the budget.
9.  My fridge looks neater. I can see food more easily which helps prevent waste as well.
10.  I have always been attracted to the prepared food display cases at Whole Foods and wished my refrigerator was full of prepared but homemade food.
11. I am so HAPPY when I don’t have to cook, but can pull prepared foods out of my fridge and in moments create a home-cooked meal.
12. I am cooking for Paleos and Non-paleos, picky kids, and a food allergy kid. This way of having food on hand helps meal time on a busy night go much more smoothly.

I am going to create some Small Batch menu plans if I can drum up some interest.  This will include tips, recipes, a daily food or two to cook, what to do with those foods, and anything else I can think about.  I will include paleo, gluten-free, and conventional food options as well as a few treats along the way.  Are you interested?

Leave a comment below if you are interested in Packing Eat for 30 Days.  Start following me on Facebook for updates and announcements, or follow me however you like by clicking on the “follow” button at the top of my right sidebar. There are a few choices to make about how you would like to receive updates.

Let’s drum up some interest, shall we?  Please pass this along to folks you think who would be interested; singles, students, young couples, busy families, or anyone else who would benefit from this type of cooking.

1. Paula in NH
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM | Permalink

I’m in! We are family of 2 and my husband travels frequently. This is perfect for us.

2. Sue
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM | Permalink

I would be very interested in hearing more about small batch cooking. It sounds efficient with both time and money.

3. Brandy
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM | Permalink

I am interested!! I am single and usually go to the gym after work, so I am not home until 7pm or later. I think this would really help get around not eating till 8-9pm

4. LaurenT
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM | Permalink

I would love more tips like this! Working full time and trying to feed a growing family is difficult but this could really be useful!

5. Lisa
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

I would be interested! Most of the cooking blogs I follow are moving toward this trend of crock pot and freezer meals, enough for a family of four or six usually, and as a single woman, it’s great to have a few things tucked away in the freezer, but the thought of cooking one meal and then eating those leftovers all week, every week, is kind of depressing. So most of my cooking is just farmers market stir fries or fried rice, or just a bag of sauteed spinach with a little balsamic vinegar.

6. Adam Evers
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

Count me in. Looks like fun.

7. Emily
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

Yes, please! We’re a family of two, and we’re both gone every day, and my time/energy at home is limited. This would be so helpful for us!

8. jenn
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

interested! don’t have a FB account right now, so if you could update here when you have it ready, that would be helpful. i’m about to be an empty nester with a husband who travels periodically, so having food made ahead to grab when i don’t feel like cooking just for myself would be most wonderful!

9. Janet Trethewey
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM | Permalink

I think it’s a FABULOUS idea! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

10. sharon
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

Im very interested. It seems like I spent most of my evenings in the kitchen and Im exhausted.

11. melanie
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

I’m interested!

12. Evangeline
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

Busy family of 4 kids at home and both my husband & I work full time. I am always looking for quick & easy ideas for meal time & am so interested in mason jar meals! Thanks for sharing!

13. Jill
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

I can definitely relate to #1, #3 and #8. Love this idea!

14. Tom
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM | Permalink

Of course-sounds like a great journey.

15. tiphany
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

This would be amazing. I would love to have set meals for lunches and also keep me from eating whatever when I am too lazy

16. Jennifer
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

Absolutely interested. Trying to get myself onto the autoimmune paleo protocol and could really use some tips like this!

17. Jamie
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM | Permalink

I am interested. I love cooking once and being able to eat all week. I also have picky little kids and a couple of us need to be GF plus some other stuff and Paleo seems to take care of that.
    By the way I tried your cinnamon roll pancakes yesterday–modified to be GF and dairy free–but my girls loved them. Just discovered your blog and I am excited for all the food in jars:) thanks for sharing,

18. Michelle S.
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

I’m definitely interested. We are a family of three, one of us being a pretty picky-eating 8-year-old. It’s tough to make giant batches of things because my husband and I end up having to eat it over and over. I’d love more small batch ideas for things. Thank you.

19. jessica
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

I’m also interested in learning more. I’m single and I currently cook one nice size meal a week and for days that I’m just not in the mood for it, I make baked chicken or fish. This sounds like it may spice up my meals!

20. Melinda
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

I start grad school in a few weeks and I’m worried about how my family will eat without me being available to make wholesome meals every night. This series sounds like a game changer for me and mine!

21. Posted August 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

Yes please, with a day job, a home business (night job), trying to get exercise and eat good along with my poor hubby’s schedule we need to clean up the fridge and eat on the fly often

22. Amy S.
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

Yes please! I too dislike cooking when I’m tired!

23. Sandra
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM | Permalink

Yes please! I enjoy cooking but I’m also too tired after work 🙁

24. Sean Kennedy
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

I am very interested but confused as to how cooking many things in small batches can save time

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

Not sure if anything truly saves time- time is time. It’s using my time more efficiently when my energy is high rather than when I am tired. Even eating out takes time. This works for us. Try following along, it is nothing totally new- just a plan that I have used to make like in BRK easier. Thanks for your honesty!

25. Kathy
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

Sounds like a great idea!