Wherein I start Paddling

Last summer the head coach, Matt,  at our CrossFit encouraged me to take his SUP Intro Class. SUP stands for Stand Up Paddleboarding. Now growing up at the Jersey Shore (stop laughing) we played on an antique surfboard that my dad had purchased from a garage sale. That thing was probably 12 feet long. The fun we had on it though! Without us nor the world knowing it, we had invented windsurfing by placing a towel under our feet and holding the end up like a sail, and paddleboarding by rowing that thing all over the lagoon, sometimes with 4 or five kids on it.  Yup, you can attribute all water board sports to us. (Just not waterboarding.)  Smile.  So when Matt offered for me to take the class, I was thrilled to get back on the water.

I mean look at that!  Beautiful. Peaceful. Wonderful.

CrossFit defines fitness in 100 words that I won’t get into right now, but the last line of the definition says this… “regularly learn and play new sports.”    That line always bothered me because for the last 3 out of the 4 years that I have been CrossFitting, I have not had a sport to play. I hate running, so I did not participate when our gym did 5Ks. I know that CrossFit is not a sport, although there are the Games and athletes who participate in them. Yay Rich Froning!  CrossFit is designed to enhance your sport whether it be running, weightlifting, tennis, cycling, or whatever your sport. I needed, no, wanted a sport.

This is my new sport. SUP. I love it. To be on the water makes me feel young again. It is a great shoulder and core workout, and surprisingly my healing left shoulder can handle it.  The balance work is also a great leg and core workout.  My coach is helping me with defining my strokes by sending me various videos of different styles so that I can see which one works best for me. I can also turn this into a year round sport by getting into a wet or dry suit, or something like that, and being within minutes to the river, I can go all year round.

I am so stoked! So stoked that Matt, Kari my other coach and friend, who is also Matt’s gorgie worgie wife, and I will be competing in a SUP 5K race at the end of August on the Potomac in DC. Gulp. I’ll keep you posted as to how my training is going.

PS- I’m scared!

Do you have a sport? What is it?  If you do not have a sport, let me encourage you to move, as in movement. Do something, anything to get your body in motion no matter how small.  When I was a nurse, the patients who exercised had less sick days and infections, were stronger, more positive, had more hope and confidence, and were happy.

Movement = Happiness = Wellness

1. Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM | Permalink

Love, love, love kayaking!!!!!!! Probably for the same reasons you love paddleboarding. Living in South Florida makes kayaking easy year round. I haven’t had a chance to try paddleboarding yet, but sure I’d love it also.

Running, biking and walking/hiking are other activities I enjoy. But don’t really feel like a “sport.” Kayaking is my first love……

Thanks for sharing!! I hope to get out on a paddleboard soon. 😉

2. Posted August 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

Sounds fun Robin! I would love to try SUP. Our daughter does SUP Yoga – she loves it.
    Good luck on your 5K!!

3. Anna
    Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM | Permalink

I got myself a hybrid kayak/SUP for my 50th birthday (it’s from Ocean kayak). I LOVE it!! Surprisingly stable, and where I live there’s much more opportunity to paddle than to sail (my other tiny boat, that never gets used. Sigh). I’d like to try a ‘real’ SUP, but for now, the river and lake fun on the hybrid has been totally worth the price. Have fun in that race — you can do it!!

4. Posted August 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM | Permalink

I am so happy you’ve found a sport you love! And that your shoulder can tolerate it too – I bet its hard to balance and move on that thing!

I enjoy walking/running/biking the most – and swimming has become my new summer sport, even though I am not that good at it – just swimming outside for 30 minutes on my lunch hour is so invigorating!

Maybe I’ll give crossfit a go at some point?! Have a great weekend!

5. Posted August 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM | Permalink

Looks like a great exercise and when you get too hot, just fall in.

6. Dalilonna
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM | Permalink

Just went paddle boarding for the second time at family camp last week. I’m still chicken to stand up but I need to do this because I loved it! Taekwondo is my current sport but would love to spend more time on the water!

7. Posted August 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

I’ve always wanted to try this! It looks like a lot of fun. I wish I could do this in the Caribbean where the water is crystal clear and you can see all the sea life.

8. Posted August 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM | Permalink

I want to try this. It looks like fun and a good work out. Always the best combination. So do different types of dance count in Crossfit?

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

Any movement counts in my book!

9. Ellen
    Posted August 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM | Permalink

I know you have been training. Keep at it. Listen to your coaches and you will do great! Positive self talk especially the day before. I was actually quite anxious before the Seattle to Portland bike race. Once it started, I was fine. Just remember to enjoy the race. You can do it!

• Robin Sue