Wherein I win the race…

Hang with me on this one, it’s pretty funny. So I do this Standup Paddleboard race hosted by Paddle for Humanity, DC, and it is like my first SUP race- ever. My only prayer was that I would not die. I mean, 250 racers with paddles and pointy boards, all vying for the front. I was a bit nervous of getting knocked on the noggin’ and run over, over and over again.  But it was nothing like my pre-race nightmares and jitters, it was a blast!

Here is Team CrossFit Tysons Corner, and I must say, for our first race, we did pretty well.  My goal was to not be last, not get killed, finish under one hour, and not fall over.  I was in the middle- out of 147 men and women, I placed 114th, my time 59:38 (cutting it close!), I lived to tell about it, and I stayed upright the entire race, although the “wake from no where” under the Memorial Bridge almost got me.

The views were spectacular… (photos courtesy Paddle for Humanity, DC)

Now here’s where things go all wonky…

At the Awards Ceremony we had the opportunity to see which hot shot surfer dudes and teeny, tiny bikini clad dudettes won in their division when we hear, “And the winner in her division,  SUP Unlimited for the woman, Robin Joss.”

I died.

So up I go, the beautiful gal in the very tight horizontal stripped dress (the only one in the world who could pull that off, I might add) placed the medal over my head, spun me around, pushed me forward, and told me to smile for the camera. If it weren’t for my shades you would have seen my deer-in-headlights panicked expression.  All I could hear was my team laughing and the applause, but oh ho ho I could read everyone’s mind- “How did this midget manage to win SUP Unlimited?”

Here’s the deal, when I signed up for the race I had no idea what board I would be using, my inflatable SUP or one of the teams Rogue 10′ SUPs, so with a shrug,  I checked “SUP unlimited” thinking it meant “whatever.”  When I got to the race, my team  loaned me the little Rogue Surfboard SUP and off we raced forgetting to change my division status.

After the Ceremony, I returned my prize stating what a boob I had been by not knowing what SUP Unlimited meant and that I really raced the SUP Surfboard Division.  The guy laughed and said, “‘Unlimited’ really means “Whatever”, that your board qualifies, and that today is your lucky day since your were the only chick who signed up for that division, congratulations, now let me drink my beer lady.”

And that my friend may be the only way I will ever win a SUP race.

Click on Photos to enlarge.

Thanks to SUP Team CrossFit Tysons Corner for the board, the very cool and sexy PFD, the great weekend, and the constant encouragement! Nothing like sharing the stoke with great friends.

1. Posted September 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

Great story Robin Sue and congrats on your win.

2. Posted September 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

That is SO awesome!! And for the record, you could pull off that dress too!

Happy Friday!!

3. Posted September 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM | Permalink

4. Posted September 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM | Permalink

Whatever, congratulations!! You did awesome and you’re quite an inspiratio for you kids. What a fun read.

5. Coconut
    Posted September 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM | Permalink

Congratulations on all counts. 😀

I don’t know how so many of you didn’t constantly run into each other.

Looks like loads of fun, and for a good cause.

Agree that you, too, could pull off wearing that striped dress. 🙂

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM | Permalink

Thanks Coconut! It was a fun day, what a happy group of people surfers make;)

6. Sharon
    Posted September 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM | Permalink

Congratulations! And, kudos to you for constantly challenging yourself and trying new things. I’ve been following your blog for several years now, and that is one thing I have come to appreciate and admire about you– you GO FOR IT! And, you go “all in” when you put your mind to something. Of course then I start thinking about what supportive, wonderful parents you must have–who have shaped you to be so confident and secure. And then, I feel encouraged to be an even better, more supportive, encouraging Mommy to my daughters. So, see, God uses all things for good. Blessings, Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

Thank you Sharon! I do have very supportive parents who always said we could try anything (within reason;). They are the best cheerleaders. I also have a hubby that is a great support and is always game for my crazy ideas! Because of my parents influence, I do hope I do well with parenting. I mess up often, but I have very forgiving kids, who see that I am human- thank goodness! God is so good!!