one pan, three cuisines, six meals

You asked, I answered. A while back I asked if anyone was interested in learning how to do small batch cooking, or whatever the heck you want to call it, and I got a pretty hefty reply of “yes!”  What started out as Mason Jar Meals has morphed into a survivalist type of cooking I called Small Batch Cooking, because that’s all I could come up with at the time.  It’s really a cooking style that has allowed me to cook moderate amounts of food, in short bursts of time, and from those ingredients design my meals.  It’s a deconstructive, reconstructive, algorithmic, problem solving type of cooking I have created to assist with meal time for Team BRK’s active lifestyle.

Here were your requests:

1. Hate leftovers, do not want to eat the same dish all week.
2. Must take as little TIME as possible. THIS WAS NUMBER 1!!!
3. Must be tasty, nothing boring or bland.
4. Must be easy to make.
5. Must pack and reheat well.
6. Must freeze well.
7. The recipes must be healthy, most asked for gluten-free, paleo/primal, or low carb.
8.  It must be for singles, students, and small families: 1-4 people. If your family is larger, then double.
9. It must be budget friendly.
10.  The recipes must be adaptable to meet everyone’s needs. i.e. In my family I have to cook paleo and conventional.

Your wish is my command, unless of course you complain, then you’re outta here.

For the free PDF Algorithmic Recipe to make these meals, click here=> bigredkitchen chicken meals

1. Split these with other family members so as not to eat the same meal in one week.
2. Use varying sides to make each meal unique. I used rice because I needed a little extra carbs this week, but I usually roast a bunch of veggies over the weekend to jazz these meals right up.
3. Save three meals now and freeze the other three for later.
4. Hey, portion these out as you like. We found my serving suggestions a good size.
5. If you are strict Paleo, alter the recipes for your needs.
6. Vegetarians, sub in protein of choice for chicken.
7.  These meals are designed to supplement your weekly meals or packed lunches. I am sure folks will wrinkle their noses to this type of wacky cooking method. I am the type who kinda approaches most things with a chart or algorithm. Nerd. Awesome.

Don’t forget to store your fresh cilantro and parsley in a jar of water covered in a bag to store in your fridge, this makes it last the longest.

And one of my favorite jarring tools is this funnel thingy. All nice and neat.

If you would like to take a peek at a few of my favorite tools from my amazon store who acted as my meal assistants, then here you go…

I hope this new fangled way of cooking helps you as much as it does me, ’cause man oh man there are some nights I really hate cooking.
Looking for more?
one hour, 3 salads, 6 meals
breakfast bowls
mason jar meals

This took FOREVER to work on, so please share with attribution without removing my copyright, name, or company. Thank you! And if you are really feeling groovy, shop from my amazon store so I can get a few smackers to keep this thing called BRK alive.
You all are the best!

1. Posted November 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

You are very creative Robin Sue and the engineer in me loves the spreadsheet.

2. supersu
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

will give it a try

3. Sharon
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

This is slick! Oh, the possibilities! Thank you for the inspiration! FYI, I purchased the Tovolo Scoop & Spread about a year ago after reading about it in one of your posts. I love it! No more sticky, slimy, greasy fingers. And, it grabs every last drop of goodness out of the jar. Score! ~Sharon

4. Posted November 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM | Permalink

You are my hero! Love it Robin Sue!!

5. Shelby
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM | Permalink

This is awesome! I just made a crockpot meal that was chicken (4 breasts), 1 large jar of salsa, and taco seasoning. I added an onion and some green peppers. Cooked on low for 8-10 hours. This algorithm would totally work for that crockpot method!

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

Perfecto! Great idea!

6. Bee
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM | Permalink

What a great idea or several ideas!!! Thanks for the hard work, I am grateful for all the time and effort you put into this.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

Thank You!!!

7. Jessi
    Posted November 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM | Permalink

This is brilliant! I just made it this evening (plus a few modifications) and it turned out fantastic. Thanks for sharing your method. Like Shelby above, I used my crock pot to make the process even easier.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Thank you Jessi! So happy you made your own modifications and the crockpot- great idea!

8. BarbaraD
    Posted November 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

I can and freeze a lot of food, so I grabbed that funnel the second I saw it at Wal-Mart. I love it! No more concern about which headspace is right! I use it everyday just to fill my jars with leftovers, too, so there’s never any mess.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM | Permalink

It’s the most used tool in BRK:)

9. BarbaraD
    Posted November 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

Speedy Chicken: Put cooked boneless chicken in your KitchenAid mixer (I haven’t tried it with a hand held, so I don’t know if that works. Some will go way too fast.) with the paddle attachment. Turn on the lowest setting. Result: Shredded chicken (or pork, or beef or any other cooked meat) in about 5 seconds. No real labor involved. Perfect pulled pork, beautiful brisket barbecue, crafty chicken. Cook a lot in the slow cooker, shred and freeze it in vacuum sealed bags for making instant meal parts. Pull out a bag or two to thaw in the refrigerator, then build your jars.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

All great ideas, thanks for sharing!

10. Posted November 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

Just made this! First time doing pack eat. Had to double, we have 6 in our family. 🙂 Thanks for blogging!

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

Great! I am so glad you doubled it for your family. We are five and sometimes I double and sometimes I don’t which can lead to war;)

11. Michelle Stahnke
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

You rock, sister! These look fabulous. Thank you.

12. Jackie Rinker
    Posted September 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

Great great idea. No way am I going to ever do a full day of once a month cooking. This inspired me to replicate the idea which I am going to try with all ground turkey recipes from six sisters: meatloaf, meatballs, hawaiian turkey burger, and million dollar casserole. They all have a lot in common. Not probalby quite as efficient as what you did here, but I’l give it a try.

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

Sounds delicious!! Especially the Hawaiian turkey burger!