Salame di Cioccolato Amaretto

You do have your seatbelt on don’t you? Because here we are in the Holiday Season and we are going for a ride. Team BRK’s social calendar is filling almost daily with a new parties to attend, hosting friends here, or deadlines for shopping, mailings gifts, or work projects to tie up. So the trick for me is to have a few items in my fridge or freezer that I can pull out and share with my company or bring to parties.

One really unique dessert is the Salame di Cioccolato which is a creamy dense chocolate roll that when sliced resembles salami. The fun thing about this is that you can change up the flavors as long as you keep the basic recipe consistent. You can alter the liquors, cookie bits, and nuts. For this Salami I chose to go with Disarrono (almond liquor), almonds, and shortbread cookies. These flavors always remind me of Christmas. Another favorite is my Grand Marnier Walnut Salami, and someday I will try a hazelnut version. This is such an elegant way to end a dinner party, without much fuss but with much show.  I like to place these out with some nice wine, fruit, and nuts. It is such a conversation dish, I mean really, chocolate salami? Hello!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Salame di Cioccolato Amaretto
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Italian
Serves: 8
A rich chocolate salami with Disarrono and almonds.
  • 1½ sticks sweet cream butter, room temperature
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Safest Choice Pasteurized egg yolks
  • 3 tbsp. good baking cocoa
  • 1 tbsp. Disaronno or amaretto
  • 6 ounces shortbread cookies
  • ⅓ cup almonds chopped
  • Powdered sugar for sprinkling
  1. Beat the first 3 ingredients until smooth, light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  2. While the butter is blending, place cookies in a ziptop bag and crush with a rolling pin, but don't crush them too fine. Leave some chunks.
  3. To the butter mix, add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
  4. Turn chocolate mixture out onto a large piece of plastic wrap and form into a log. Wrap tightly, twisting ends tight and forming the salami even better. You can make the salami as short or as long as you like. Mine was 8" with 2" diameter.
  5. Chill until firm.
  6. Once firm, remove from wrapping and generously sprinkle and rub all sides with powdered sugar to resemble a rustic salami.
  7. To serve, slice in ⅓ in slices. Beautiful on a fruit platter.

Note: It is best to use a non-melting powdered sugar like this one.

Because this recipe calls for using raw eggs, I always turn to Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs to play it safe.  Since I will be making this for parties and gifts, I want to be sure it is safe!  For more recipes using Safest Choice Eggs, see their huge offering.

*I am one of the Darling Dozen for Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs, therefore this is a sponsored post, all photos, recipes, and tips, are my own.

What would be some of your suggested combinations if you were to make a Salame di Cioccolato?

1. Posted December 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

How fun – love this idea, Robin! Bookmarked!

2. Erin
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

I think I’m going to use this in a sweet “antipasto” platter; maybe pair it with some fruit and nuts, cinnamon bread with honey and sweet dukkah for dipping, dates stuffed with mascarpone, and the like. What a great idea!

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM | Permalink

sounds wonderful!

• Erin
      Posted December 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

Update: I just made a double batch for a potluck tomorrow, and I switched out the Disaronno for triple-sec, traded the almonds for toasted chopped hazelnuts, and added the zest of one orange. SO GOOD!

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM | Permalink

So addictive!

3. Posted December 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM | Permalink

I posted a similar recipe a few years ago. I love it Robin Sue. Think I will make it again. Yours looks much better than mine with the powdered sugar. Happy Holidays to you and your family

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Thank You Penny!

4. Coconut
    Posted December 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

Looks and sounds delicious.

Lovely presentation, and photos.

Well done in staging the photos, and I like how they roll out into a story of sorts as they go along.

Your recipe here with the almonds, etc. would be my first choice. As an alternate maybe find a way to work some coconut into a recipe? ;-D

Happy Holidays and A Merry New Year to everyone here. 😀

5. Coconut
    Posted December 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

Darn. Forgot to rate the recipe. Five stars. 🙂

6. Posted December 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

Another amazing recipe/gift idea! This is great and I can’t wait to try to do a mini one {with some ingredient changes} for my Caleb. He asked for a roll of pepperoni for Christmas.