how to narrow life choices

photo-24
A few weeks ago, I took two of my children out for Asian food, and before my little girl could open her menu, I told her to put it down and answer a few questions.
“Daelyn, what do you want, chicken, pork, beef, or seafood?”
She thought a bit and blurted, “chicken!”
“Do you want it with noodles or rice?”
“Noodles!”
“Ok, open your menu and look in the chicken section for chicken and noodle dishes.”
There were two chicken and noodle dishes: lo mien and Pad Thai. She confidently chose the Pad Thai.

I put her through that little exercise because she has a tough time with too many choices. Don’t we all? The last time I ate out with her, she could not make a decision from the vast menu which resulted in me choosing for her, and her being disappointed with the choice.

What if we did this with life decisions? Choose what we want out of life before we open the menu of options. Too many choices can distract us and keep us from ever attaining what we truly want out of life. On May 3, 2014  Himself and I created our vision statement…

To live a Simple, Generous, Active, and Relaxed lifestyle.

I have some tough decisions to make over the next two months as we downsize from Big Red Kitchen to Manderley Cottage. I have to choose which of our treasures possessions to keep and which to let go since we are going from a 4100 square foot home to a 1200 square foot home.  By deciding what we want first, we have strategically narrowed our choices which will hopefully make the decision process go smoothly. If the item does not help us accomplish our four word mantra, out it goes.

I will not deny that I still feel overwhelmed though.

If you would like to follow along on this journey with me, please follow me on…

FaceBook
Instagram
Twitter

1. Lisa R
    Posted May 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing, Robin! Life is full of tough choices…made only tougher by what extras we invite into it! 🙂 Blessings to your family as you continue on the journey!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

Thank you Lisa! Everything must go, but my jars, they go with me;)

2. Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

Awesome goals ~To live a Simple, Generous, Active, and Relaxed lifestyle. I could greatly downsize my house…as long as I still had a sewing/craft area/room for all the supplies. Although I have given stuff away that I don’t plan to use to bless others! And in Miss. my pool is more of a necessity than an option ~ its already at 90 degrees!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

Agreed, a pool is a must in that kind of heat!

3. Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

*raises hand* I completely get paralyzed by choices. That’s why I HATE shopping. I love how you handled the menu with your daughter. I am definitely going to keep that analogy in mind when it comes to overwhelming things, like shopping. And I also LOVE that you chose a statement from which all decisions are made. Perfect! I think the Mr. and I need to do the same. Can’t wait to follow along on your next adventure!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

Do it! You and the Mr. are so artistic and fun, you could totally make a great vision statement!

4. Jacob Woloshin
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Too many choices equals decision fatigue. There are ways to limit it though. Routines are a great way to do lessen it, although variety still needs to be there too. Food (and sugar) along with naps can help replenish your willpower tho.