start with boiling water: how I make hard-boiled eggs

photo-37

photo-37

Ffirst off let me confess that I hate hard-boiled eggs. They gag me. I like deviled eggs and even egg salad, but biting into a dried out, crumbly yolk hard-boiled egg, activates my gag reflex. Give me a soft boiled egg any day with toast soldiers and I am one happy girl. I love 3 minute dippy eggs, but they are hard to pack and eat on the go, and forget peeling.  One day I left my 3-minute eggs cooking too long and pulled it out at about 9 minutes and found them to be really nice! Not dried out but still creamy and set enough to cut or use in salads. So now when I want hard-boiled eggs, I over-cook my 3 minute eggs. Just seems easier.

How to:
1. Bring a large pan of water to boil, water deep enough to cover the eggs.
2. Using a large spoon, gently lower each egg into the boiling water.
3. Set the timer for 9 minutes. 9 minutes will give you a set but still creamy center, if you want the eggs more firm cook for 11 minutes, or experiment with time. On a lazy Saturday morning, I like 7 minute eggs, still soft and very drippy in the center, but set and peel-able.
4. Once the timer goes off, place the eggs in a large bowl of ice and water to stop the cooking process.
5. Peel eggs and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Benefits of this method:
1. The eggs do not have that “eggy” smell.
2. So far they have been easier to peel.
3. I have not had one with a green ring around the yolk.

What is your fool-proof hard-boiled egg method?
Share your boiling, peeling, and anti-cracking tips in the comments below. Also your favorite way to use hard-boiled eggs.

1. Posted June 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM | Permalink

We are opposites ~ I love hard boiled eggs and I don’t want any drippy. I put the eggs in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let it boil a minute or 2 then cover the pot, turn off the heat, and leave it on the burner. Time varies since sometimes I forget the pot is there. Using fresh eggs (from our chickens) makes peeling tougher and sometimes impossible. They usually aren’t pretty, so I use those in salads or egg salad. For deviled eggs, I usually buy eggs so they look pretty!

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Donna, I discovered that with the fresh eggs too, they are hard to peel, so I do the same thing. Buy at store for hard cooked and use the fresh eggs mom brings me for breakfast!

2. Judi
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

we have found that even with fresh eggs if you put them in cold water with 1/3 cup salt let them come to vigorus boil then shut off let sit for 12 mins and plunge into cold water – it has worked last 5 times we tried this.

3. Posted June 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM | Permalink

I think these look like Almost Hard Boiled eggs but I can eat them everywhere between barely soft boiled and hard – but like you, a little runny is better.

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

I like the name! AHBE!

4. Holly
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM | Permalink

I love hard boiled eggs, but I also love eggs over easy. I have not tried a soft boiled egg. It seems wrong to me, but I’m odd like that. 🙂 I can’t wait to try your method. I’m sure my coworkers would appreciate my eggs to be less eggy smelling.

5. Holly
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM | Permalink

Judi – thanks for the tip on peeling fresh eggs. I prefer to eat our chickens’ eggs for everything, but I eat them before they peel well. I’ll try this.