my new summer cocktail: the hugo

photo-56

photo-56I do love a nice bubbly cocktail. I was chatting with my best friend Maggie last week, she lives in Berlin, about my love for Aperol Spritz when she told me there’s a new drink in town: the Hugo. She said, “all the ladies are ordering it here in Berlin!” After telling me the ingredients, I found myself in a new quest to find Elderflower Cordial here in the States. My first stop was World Market, they would have it for sure, right? No. My next best option was to try our local British pasty shoppe, The Pure Pasty Co., where I happily found and purchased their last two bottles. Win!

photo-55

Elderflower Cordial is unique to describe, but it is lightly floral, fruity, and subtle. I can see how it is all the rage. If you like mojitos or mint juleps, you will find this drink crisp, light, and of course, bubbly.  I will be trying a splash of it in my Friday night Gin and Tonic. Oh that’s tonight! TGIF!

photo-54

I do hope you can find Elderflower Cordial so that you too can make the Hugo (ooh-go) this summer.

my new summer cocktail: the hugo
Author:
Recipe type: Cocktail
Cuisine: Italy
Prep time:
Total time:

Light, crisp, bubbly. Refreshing. My new favorite!
Ingredients
  • Champagne, prosecco, or sekt
  • Elderflower Cordial
  • limes
  • mint
  • seltzer, optional
  • ice
Instructions
  1. To a glass, add a few torn mint leaves.
  2. Fill the glass ¾ of the way with the bubbly of your choice.
  3. Squeeze in some lime juice.
  4. Add a splash of Elderflower Cordial, other recipes vary from a teaspoon to a tablespoon, so go by taste, but not too sweet.
  5. Add a splash of seltzer if desired, I did not.
  6. Garnish with a spring of mint, a lime wheel, and a few cubes of ice.

NOTE– If you do not drink alcohol, this drink can be made with ginger ale in place of the bubbly, or even straight up seltzer will work well too.

Here are some blogs that did a marvelous job telling about their adventures and the Hugo Cocktail…
Apron and Sneakers
Lemons and Anchovies
Monkeys and Mountains

1. Posted June 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

Sounds like a nice refreshing drink.

2. Posted June 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

Oh, that looks like the perfect summer drink Robin Sue! We have a fig vodka that is all the rage at the restaurant I work at – just with selzer and muddled orange and lime.

Enjoy your weekend!

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 21, 2014 at 11:35 PM | Permalink

I didn’t know there was a fig vodka? Now I have a new quest;)

3. Posted June 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM | Permalink

I love elderflower syrup. I get mine from Ikea, but I have a friend in Romania that makes it herself. I’ve only had the syrup with seltzer water. Now I HAVE to try this cocktail!

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

My Ikea didn’t have it:( I’ll have to try it in seltzer, sounds refreshing too!

4. Jamie
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

I love the Hugo. My darling German friend brought the recipe home last summer after a visit. It is so fantastic and refreshing. I have also found elderflower pairs well with gin or vodka with lime and seltzer.

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM | Permalink

I do want to try it in gin:)

5. Gabrielle
    Posted April 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

I think you have to make Fig Vodka, I haven’t seen it for sale. You infuse fresh Figs (dried figs aren’t nearly as good) with the Vodka, it turns a bright pink color and is great with lemon and elderflower. http://www.chow.com/recipes/11113-the-flying-fig is the one I made and liked the most. They call to muddle, and that works too!