surviving the dream and grilled bacon pickle spears

photo-64

photo-65We are in the thick of things here with getting ready for the Estate Sale this Sunday. I am scared, nervous, and overwhelmed to have so many people traipsing through my house, and picking through our things, and wanting everything for the low, low, price of fifty cents. But I will keep the faith that it will NOT rain, everyone will be kind and friendly, and there will be no chaos. Pray for me. Us. My parents come tomorrow after Daddy goes to court fighting his way out of an “Illegal Use of the Horn” ticket he acquired when he honked at an undercover cop who sat in front of him at a green light way too long, obstructing traffic. Sigh. Dad gave a friendly toot, and the cop nailed him, sending Ma’s blood pressure through the roof by the time they got her to her doctor’s appointment, of which they were late.  So “Don’t Mess with Texas” Root’n Toot’n Papa is off to have his day in court. Look out!

We did have a short break from packing, cleaning, and decision making over the Fourth of July down at Manderley Cottage. It took me a day to finally unwind, but when I did, I relaxed, slept long and deep, took the kids kayaking, enjoyed time with my friends, and ate at some delicious Williamsburg restaurants- I cooked very little!  I did make one new thing on the grill though: Grilled Bacon Pickle Spears. My friend Rob over at Countryside Food Rides, recently wrapped some rings of onions with bacon (scroll all the way to the bottom of his photos to see) and grilled them- yum! So I thought maybe these pickle spears would be good too. They were.

Grilled Bacon Pickle Spears
Wrap each dill spear with one slice of bacon.
Grill over medium heat, turning frequently until bacon is cooked through.
Serve with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce stirred in for some smokey flavor.

There, short and sweet. Things are hectic here. I am trying to balance my stress, my children’s feelings, trying to still have a fun summer, worrying about Himself commuting back and forth from Williamsburg to BRK, feeding the bottomless pit of kids’ bellies, and answering “how much do you want for this or that?”  My longest span for not crying is a whopping 28 hours, and that episode 3 on season 1 of “Call the Midwife” did not help- Rindy, I’m going to get you for this! Cleaning, packing, and organizing are not my gig, so it takes every ounce of energy, setting timers, and giving myself teeny tiny rewards (ok I lie, really big rewards like ice cream) to get this all done. Those of you who know me can laugh. I am such a big baby!  I have changed my mantra from living the dream to surviving the dream.

Barely.

Just barely.

1. Posted July 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

You will survive and thrive, Robin! I’m sure of it!

xo,
    Shirley

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Thank you Shirley!

2. Posted July 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

The pickle spears look delicious. Many of the folks at your sale want to pay bottom dollar so they can take your stuff to the flea market and sell it at a profit. Stand your ground and just sell to those who actually want it for themselves and will pay a reasonable price. Maybe write FIRM below all prices. Remember you have Craigslist and eBay as backups. I’d rather donate my things to folks in need rather than let someone buy it very cheap and make a profit.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM | Permalink

Agreed Larry! We do have a bottom line, and bartering will take too much time. We have to keep things moving and moving smoothly.

3. Posted July 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

You had me at bacon! It will all work out, just keep breathing! 😀

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

Thanks Biz!

4. Sharon
    Posted July 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM | Permalink

Robin, I just want to say, I totally “get it.” We moved a little over a year ago, and there are so many decisions to make regarding EVERYTHING!!! And, that’s a complete understatement. Not to mention, when you have kids, there are mouths to feed, which requires even more decisions. It seems that when you think you’re just about done with one room, stuff comes out of the woodwork. And, the whole process is so emotional on top of it all. I don’t know about you, but I always had this little voice saying, “Are we doing the right thing??” And, I knew we were, but the voice was there, and it required energy to quiet it. During that crazy, busy season my husband would say, “We’re swinging from rope to rope.” And Thomas Jefferson said, “When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it, and hang on!” Keep going! The best is yet to come! Blessings, Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM | Permalink

I do have the doubt fits every once in a while, but know that we are doing the right thing. Sometimes I think- what are we doing!? But then get to Williamsburg and love it there.

5. Rindyr
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:01 AM | Permalink

I think a bacon wrapped pickle spear is a good remedy for crying!!! You go girl! You got this!

6. Ellen
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

Robin- You’re my hero! Hang in there! Wish I could just come and help you out. I’d be a hard ass to those trying to cheat you out of a good price. Love you Sis.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM | Permalink

Ellen, I will never have a moving sale ever again. I lost all faith in humanity. People are wicked.

7. Laura
    Posted September 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM | Permalink

Robin, I agree with you…we had to have a selling it all sale when my husband got sick with lung cancer and it was the worst. People walking down the drive with your former possessions that they got for nothing !! Yes humanity has sunk to a new low…..