active: wherein we get a frisbee

pickerimage-43

pickerimage-43

Who knew that a ten dollar frisbee would bring so much joy to our family? The frisbee idea began after an afternoon enjoying Disk Golf at our local course here in Williamsburg. We loved it so much we decided to get a frisbee and practice our skills, quickly discovering that the disks for disk golf are very different from the average frisbee, but we stuck with idea anyway. Since moving here, we make a great effort to get out and be active, often riding our bikes, walking, and now tossing our frisbee.  Now that we don’t spend hours in DC traffic we have the time to be more active.  Our activities are often fun and not very intense since the ages of our children range from 11 to 17.  The frisbee is perfect!  Even the littlest is able to toss it with the help and instruction from her more skilled big brothers.

pickerimage-45

Here we are on one of our walks when we snuck across the Golden Horseshoe Golf Course at Colonial Williamsburg. Can you imagine if we didn’t vow to be more active and get out more, that we would miss out on such gorgeous sunsets?  Looks like Himself is up to some mischief.

pickerimage-42

Living .2 miles from the Duke of Gloucester street has its benefits. Large lawns and quaint views.  The top photo of Zuzu is taken on the Governor’s Palace lawn where Himself dazzled the kids with his USC days California Boy catch-the-frisbee-behind-his-back moves. I think all this activity is making us feel young again. Did you know that the last time I threw a frisbee was in college?

How are you getting active with your family?  Why not try a frisbee!

Here’s the kind of frisbee we bought, now found in BRK’s Amazon store. And here’s the app we use to chase sunshine and sunsets.

1. Colleen
    Posted October 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM | Permalink

We love disc golf – many great sunsets playing the back 9. Hubs and I found a new course near our new house we’d like to visit soon.

Your family might enjoy Geocaching using GPS to find treasure and adding your own surprise. https://www.geocaching.com/ Our sons loved the adventure. Colleen

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM | Permalink

I haven’t tried geocaching but always found it interesting. I’ll have to look into it here in my area. Once my frisbee skills improve I may take up disk golf!

2. Jushil Kinkead
    Posted October 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM | Permalink

How are you?
    I am writing from Amman, Jordan. I was so surprised to know you are in Williamsburg.
    We will be there in July 2015 ! (We got a Government Job)
    It is nice to see picture of your kids, wow they are so beautiful !
    Please keep in touch, We are praying for our church in Williamsburg..
    Let me know if you know one…Our kids are 6(Julie) 8 (Lucas) 10 (Robert)..
    Hope to see you next year!

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 27, 2014 at 10:13 PM | Permalink

Hi Jushil! Wow I can’t believe you are coming here, that is so cool! Time flies, your time in Jordan is almost coming to an end. Keep in touch. We will see you next summer for sure.

• jushil
      Posted November 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

How are you..? It is getting chilly here in Amman .Thankfully, All are doing well..
      we are praying for our church now..We have Couple of recommendations from people who were there before. Also we are thinking about Providence Classical School for our 2nd,3rd,6th grader children. Please give me some guidance for churches and schools..my email address is jushil337@hotmail.com.
      Pls let me know if you want some dead sea souvenir : ) I will love to get it for you.
      Cheers in him.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM | Permalink

We are in the public schools here and so far things are working out well for the kids. Enjoy your time left in Amman, it must be amazing!

3. Sharon
    Posted October 27, 2014 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

Geocaching is fun! We did it last summer in Sunriver. You can download the app and get 3 free searches if you want to try it out. We biked to all of our caches, so you definitely can incorporate being physical into this activity. ~Sharon

4. Posted October 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

I haven’t thrown a frisbee in probably 20 years – love how active you guys are – setting such a great example for the kids. 😀

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

Girl, you still run circles around me!

5. Kath
    Posted November 29, 2014 at 7:03 AM | Permalink

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving- so sorry you are not posting anymore as I enjoyed reading about your family’s very admirable adventure.

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

Thanks Kath, I’ll need to pop in and update. Life is good!

6. Colleen
    Posted December 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue, Thinking about you (and wondering, “How are you doing?”)

I un(dis)covered all of our Christmas boxes and decorated our “new” home this past weekend. We’re loving how festive everything is all clustered in the smaller square footage!

Doing daily presents for our two adult sons. Yesterday I put up the tree and decorations for “older” and baked a turkey for “younger”. Bought 3 turkeys, cooked 3 turkeys. Looking forward to returning to reduced calorie intake 😉

Warmest regards, Colleen

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM | Permalink

Thanks Colleen! All is well here!