generous: but here’s what I do know

T

here was a sparkle there, the kind of smile that goes all the way up to the eyes and into the soul that tells me he’s happy. “I’ve never heard Dad laugh so hard,” he, the middle child whispered to me through the laughter and cheers of “tell us another one!” Himself was telling jokes, cute ones that he found online to entertain us the other night, when one joke made him laugh so hard he could hardly breathe or speak to tell the next. It was a kind of contagious laughter which leaves everyone pointing to each other, red-faced, knee-slapping, and wiping away tears. When the laughter died down, and while they were in a good mood, I asked them what they thought of all this, you know living without a television in a small house with nothing to do at night but converse, tell stories of our day, watch a Netflix on a tiny laptop screen while huddled closely together, read, play games, write, draw, or discuss politics, Faith, and social issues. Not one kid answered, no one made eye contact, no one wanted to say that maybe, just maybe we had done the right thing by leaving our big home, jobs with certain salary, and getting rid of most of our belongings. I wonder if they’ll ever answer that question?

But here’s what I do know. They are secure. Each night while I am in my tiny kitchen washing up the dinner dishes I hear, “Dad, Dad how do you…?” Or “Dad, Dad what do you think of…?” Or “Dad, Dad who is…?”  All three kids vying for their Dad’s attention and advice, and they get it, plenty of it. Less than a year ago there was a huge flat screen television and a house big enough for every one to find their own space. We hardly saw each other in our own home. Sad. I told Himself the other night that I go to bed exhausted now that we have to talk every night. Laugh every night. Share every night. Mentor every night. Teach every night. Play every night. And breathe the same air.

What a good thing.

1. Posted January 23, 2015 at 9:16 AM | Permalink

Wonderful! I loved reading this. 🙂

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

Thanks Kelly!

2. Posted January 23, 2015 at 3:06 PM | Permalink

This sounds perfect. In fact, it sounds a lot of how I grew up many, many years ago. It’s all good.

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM | Permalink

Susan, sometimes I think I was born at the wrong time;) So much has changed in the world since my own childhood, it all moves so fast now.

3. Hélène
    Posted January 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM | Permalink

Amen

4. Posted January 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

I am so stinking proud of you, Robin Sue! 🙂 This sounds idyllic and I’m sure the new lifestyle has its challenges, but from a (relatively new) dad’s perspective, this kind of bonding sounds just incredible. Keep up the posts! I love reading B(well, tiny)RK.

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

Thanks Brian! Congrats on your new little son, what a wonderful blessing! We do have our challenges with a small house but all in all it has been a wonderful experience.

5. Posted January 24, 2015 at 4:18 PM | Permalink

That is wonderful! ;0)

6. Lisa R
    Posted January 24, 2015 at 5:12 PM | Permalink

What a good thing, indeed! Loving the honesty about the intentional moves…in faith – though you couldn’t have predicted the depth of this change and the opportunity that you’ve created for your family – to really do life together! It did my heart good to listen (and vent) last week at the Farm Show…am feeling somewhat convicted. 🙂
    When there’s too much – we loose track of one another!
    So proud of the 2 of you for making the change… and sharing.
    It’s a reminder of why we’re here and encouraging beyond measure! Thank you!

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

Lisa,
      The Farm Show was wonderful and I had the best time meeting you and your family. You have truly built a fantastic business! Your children were so proud of the booth and all you do. What a great week and such a positive experience for me to see how hard your entire family and extended family works to make a great company! Thanks so much for including me! Robin

7. Lisa R
    Posted January 24, 2015 at 7:12 PM | Permalink

Very good, indeed! So encouraged and convicted by your intentional living choices that have brought your family into a more real “doing life together” situation! I admire your courage and thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and chatting about family life at the Farm Show last week!
    Thanks for sharing your experiences – the challenges and the rewards of these changes. It’s important for people to read about how not getting caught up in everything can be a good thing. Blessings as you continue in your parenting adventures! 🙂

8. Posted February 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

Poetic and beautiful slice of life.

9. Coconut
    Posted February 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM | Permalink

Sounds idyllic.

Well done. 🙂

10. Anita
    Posted February 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

Simply put, I love this.

11. Posted March 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM | Permalink

This sounds like an awesome night Robin! You will never regret spending more time with your children! We are downsizing house but upsizing land and moving to GA. Closer to grandbabies! Yippee! d

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 16, 2015 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

Good for you Donna! That is exciting news!!