generous: you can do it

IMG_1918

IMG_1918
It was the song “Pomp and Circumstance” at his high school graduation that brought me back to a sudden remembrance of a little baby crawling towards his momma. A flood of emotion, and a pop of sobs that shake the shoulders and shed more tears from ones nose than eyes.  How quickly a memory can escort one away from the present.  I was promptly transported back to the Diaper Derby when he was sixteen months old and such a fantastic crawler, we thought, “sure why not?”  Lined up along with other tiny crawlers and moms on hand and knee lined up opposite to cheer and encourage their little champions, the man yelled “go!”  My baby and I locked eyes and as I crawled backwards toward the finish line, he crawled forward, slapping his tiny palms on the mat and panting as babies do when they are excited and scared all at the same time. As he crawled,  I shouted, “come on baby, come on baby you can do it.”  His eyes never left mine, we were on the same path, the same mission, to finish. My little baby won.

Last summer before his senior year we told him we were moving to Williamsburg. He still had to finish his Eagle Project and was looking forward to being a Senior Patrol Leader for his troop and earning the rank of Eagle. He was looking forward to graduating from the school he had been with since second grade. He had to leave good friends behind.  He had to sacrifice. He had to grow up. This time I stayed on my knees as he rose and walked forward, and I prayed, “come on baby, come on baby you can do it.”

He earned the rank of Eagle by making several 300 mile round trip drives for meetings back north, including multiple emails, and phone calls.  He earned a lead as Billy Lawlor in his new high school’s musical 42nd Street when he questioned, “should I even try out?”  He obtained a job at Busch Gardens as the famous costumed character Elmo bringing cheer to families and little children while special needs children touched his heart.  He was accepted to the Liberty University, his first and only choice. He made multiple new friends while keeping in touch with old ones. Then he went on to graduate with wonderful grades. My young man won.

As I watched him graduate, I whispered through my tears, “go on baby, go on baby you can do it.”
And on bended knee will I remain.

1. Posted July 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

This is great, Robin. You printed the words that so many mothers feel. Be proud. You have given him the best guidance. Love this posting.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

Thank you Susan. Parenting is not easy but it is good:)

2. Sally
    Posted July 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Congratulations to your graduate and you and your husband.
    Job well done. You deserve to be proud!
    Thanks for sharing.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 3, 2015 at 5:37 PM | Permalink

Thank you Sally. God is so good!

3. Sharon
    Posted July 3, 2015 at 5:33 PM | Permalink

Usually I read your blog and laugh out loud at your posts. Today, I cried happy tears as I read this. Good job, Robin on raising such a fine young man. And, how true, that our place as parents is on our knees lifting our children up and trusting deeply in God’s plans for them. Blessings, Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

Hi Sharon,
      So good to hear from you! So much trust has to happen- parenting is hard! But it is so good too. I need to pray more as he goes off on his own:)

4. Posted July 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

What a great post Robin Sue! Glad he’ll only be a few hours away from you in college! So great seeing you last week – we left yesterday and the kids decided to drive all night and we got home at 4:30 am! Ah, to be 23 again!

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM | Permalink

Wow that is a long and quick drive! Crazy kids. It was so great seeing you too, your photos of your Aunt’s place were beautiful!! I hope you had a relaxing trip!! xoxo

5. Colleen
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

Life challenged – he succeeded. He won’t forget that he can win over difficult conditions. Those that can – do! Congratulations!

6. Anita
    Posted July 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM | Permalink

Congrats to you all. What a handsome, and obviously, smart boy! He looks a bit like a young Ray Liotta. Good for him for the strong finish despite the obstacles. You’ve parented well. Well done. (P.S. My boy is moving back to Falls Church…he lasted here a year and misses what he now knows is his calling, so back he goes. Such is life – I’m glad he is following what his heart is telling him.)

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 14, 2015 at 7:36 AM | Permalink

Thank you Anita! Oh wow back to Falls Church? It is such a cute town though despite the traffic. Good restaurants too;)