simple: big sandwiches

IMG_1897

IMG_1897
She had a craggy voice. Well into her nineties, and after a few strokes great-grandma Klaus’ voice was hard on very young ears.  I remember her slouched in a wheelchair with a head full of white hair, but it was her voice I remembered most.  The other day, my Ma and Dad were telling me and my kids about great-grandma K and it was very clear that her voice was the way it was because she smoked, oftentimes two cigarettes at a once as she had forgotten that she had one already lit hanging from her lip.  Twelve kids and a ton of grandbabies must do that to a woman.  Ma said she used huge bowl to make large batches of pancakes for all the kids. The mystery was why she never bothered to wash the bowl after each use. Twelve kids and a ton of grandbabies must do that to a woman! Albeit, the kids all agreed that her pancakes improved with each and every batch.  Maybe she knew something about feeding a Starter and a brood of kids.

Well after three generations, not much has changed. She and I and all the moms in-between know what it’s like to feed kids and keep them full.  Making twin 15 inch sandwiches is my answer to “what’s for lunch, what’s for snack, or what’s for dinner?”  Nothing is ever easy, but making Big Sandwiches is a whole heck of a lot simpler than making individual sandwiches.  The sandwiches vary, but this one is home roasted eye round of beef sliced thinly and served along with fresh baby spinach, mayonnaise, and muenster cheese. I place both sandwiches back in the twin-pack bag whence they came and store in the fridge only to be sawed inch by inch by hungry children.  Then we do have days the big sandwiches are never made as they have eaten all the bread before I ever had a chance.  I wonder what great-grandma K would have done about that?

IMG_1898

Other sandwiches in the rotation:
battered cod with cheddar and tartar sauce
turkey, ham and cheese with lettuce and mayonnaise
pastrami and swiss, greens with mustard and mayonnaise
grilled chicken parmesan
ground Italian sausage, red gravy, and mozzarella
Italian hoagie

What have you simplified lately?

1. Posted July 7, 2015 at 7:14 AM | Permalink

A good sandwich is just plain hard to beat

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

You said it Larry!

2. Colleen
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 8:16 AM | Permalink

Chicken breasts marinated for several hours in lemon juice, sprinkled with crushed dried rosemary, grilled, sliced and layered with roasted red pepper slices, muenster cheese on a big bun spread on one side – the warm chicken side – with spiced cream cheese and on the other with mayo. Colleen

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

Sounds wonderful! Thank you!

3. Sharon
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM | Permalink

With this hot weather, we like to do the Big Salad for dinner. I buy the pre-washed organic mixed greens from Costco. Then, we add diced peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots. We pretty much always have some grilled chicken or steak in the fridge, so chop, chop, chop and in it goes. I sprinkle on some raw-milk shredded parmesan cheese (Trader Joes sells this–it is usually by their other shredded cheeses). I make a really yummy balsamic vinaigrette to dress it. The key is to toss the dressing into the big salad prior to serving it. It tastes so much better having every leaf coated rather than individually serving and pouring dressing on top. Oh, and when I’m feeling like getting fancy, I will caramelize some sliced almonds in coconut sugar to sprinkle on top (my girls LOVE when I do this). Some days, I make it even simpler by grabbing a Costco rotisserie chicken while I’m there shopping and use the meat in the salad.
    ~Sharon

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM | Permalink

Great idea with the hot weather and full gardens and farmer’s markets. My kids have come around a bit to salads and with all the add-ins you mentioned I could probably get away with serving up a big salad. Got to have plenty of shredded cheese though;)

4. jenn in GA
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM | Permalink

these sound great! i don’t have any sandwich suggestions, since i don’t eat bread. i’m drooling at all the comments, though, and am glad to see you blogging again, Robin!

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 9, 2015 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

Thanks Jenn, it is good to be back!

5. Posted July 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,
    I love the sandwich ideas! I really need to try the Mason Jar meals–the kids are much more independent these days. They choose fruit often for snacks and make their own sandwiches, but Mason Jar lunches would be a great help.
    Mom’s busy these days. What have I simplified? Life, somewhat. Working in home health and hospice, pursuing a MSN in Nursing Education, adjunct clinical teaching and instructor at the local community college proved to be just too much too soon and so I’m dialing back on teaching this Fall. I’m actually looking forward to the Fall and the new school year.
    And Mason Jar lunches.
    All the best to you! And thanks.
    Suzy

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM | Permalink

Hi Suzy,
      Wow your life is full! Nursing is such a great career! I love/loved being a nurse. I haven’t practiced in a very long time though. Mason Jar Meals Rule!!