Mason Jar Meals

Welcome to MasonNation

Big Red Kitchen® is dedicated to teaching busy singles, couples, and families how to design healthy, delicious, and time-saving meals for fresh eating at home or on the go. I MasonATE my kids lunches, leftovers, office meals for Himself, snacks, and freezer meals. To me, the Mason Jar is a storage vessel plain and simple and that is all. No canning. No preserving. No hot water baths. No boiling. No sterilizing. No sealing. Just screwing.  Screw. Screw. Screw. All ya gotta do is screw.  That’s it.

Mason Jar Meals, Just Screw It

Why to…How To…Need to…
Part I
Part II

Mason Jar Meal Tutorials
1 hour, 3 salads, 6 meals– How to make 3 classic salads for fresh, healthy, on-the-go eating

Mason Jar Meal Videos
The fastest way to “rice” cauliflower– paleo friendly

breakFAST/Brunch

Stromboli
Homemade SpaghettiOs with Mini Meatballs
Lazy Lasagna
Pastiera di Pepperoni
Mini Paleo Pizzas

“Small Plates”
The Simplicity and Design of a MJM– Roasted Grapes, Red Pearl Onions, Eggs, and Shrimp- 1 roasting pan, 4 delightful small plates
Mini Paleo Pizzas

Dinner
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Cheese Steaks
Curry in a Hurry with Cilantro Lime Rice
Stromboli
Creamed Chicken

Snacks
Cookies and Cream Popcorn

GAP: “Grab a PINT”
Layering snacks that can be made in less than 10 minutes in PINT size Mason jars for on-the-go snacking.
Smoked Salmon Roll-ups– Paleo

Eggnog Muffins

Doggie Treats
Pupcakes

On Storing Leftovers
Thanksgiving

Mason Jar Meal Tips
Tip #1 Options over Obstacles– a summary explaining the many options MJMs provide.
Tip #2 On wrapping your Jars for picnics
Tip #3 A Mother’s Getaway Plan– on filling the fridge with beautifully designed MJMs before leaving home
Tip #4 Mason Jar Mise en Place for fast and organized stir-frying

Another way BRK is Keepin’ it Glassy!

1. Fedora
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

Just wondering if you’ve tried vaccuum sealing mason jars with a FoodSaver? I started doing it this summer, because I wanted to save those yummy tomatoes for chilis and stews, but didn’t want to get into canning. A special attachment allows you to vaccum seal, using freezer-safe wide-mouth mason jars. These will keep in the freezer for a couple of years, but also in the fridge for weeks (they say it extends the life of the food about 5-times longer than without vaccuum sealing). I don’t know if I’d be comfortable after that much time, but I have made salads, sealed them and eaten them 2 weeks later–they’re still fresh and yummy.

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

I have not sealed the food in any way. We tend to eat it up quickly!

2. Treasure
    Posted April 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

I accidently stumbled upon this page and am so stoked to try some of these! My family is always super busy and sometimes, because the mister works seconds, dinner is a bowl of cereal and some toast. I also play roller derby and after practice meals are hard cause I am starving but too tired to cook. Annnnnnd this would be great for a few of my teammates who are stuck with broken bones right now. I can’t wait to try them all and pass a few along to my sisters in need!!

You are awesome!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

Hurray Roller Derby!

3. Satya
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM | Permalink

I make a rice pudding with honey I stead of sugar. Could you tell me how long it would last in a mason jar in the fridge? And is that something you could even do the heat sealing process with?

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:11 AM | Permalink

You can keep these up to 5 days in the fridge. I am not sure about canning these, I am not a canner.

4. Posted August 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

I’ve been making salads and snacks in Mason jars for a while now. My husband works in the Oilfield and the summer 100+ days are tough. I can pack him super healthy meals and snacks that won’t get water in them from floating around his cooler. But I am so thankful for finding your site as we are trying to move more toward a paleo diet and I was sitting here praying that I could find some more recipes that would fit our new healthy eating, but also work in my jars! You are an answer to prayer! Can’t wait to try your recipes! Thank you!

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM | Permalink

So happy to help. Many of my uncles and cousins work in the oil fields in and around Amarillo, TX:)

5. Barb
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

I love the pigs in a blanket idea. Going to use it tonight. It will be awesome for hubbys breakfast. The man leaves for work at the same time the darn blackbirds start chirping…thanks for the ideas. I will keep posted.

6. Posted October 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

I love your mason jar meal ideas. This is a huge trend my daughter turned me on to. Check out the bottom of the above page for a really handy tip about free inserts. The page also contains my designs for mason jar carriers, which I call hipster lunch bags. I have put a link to your site on my website and will give it out to people who buy a lunch bag.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM | Permalink

Thank you Lin! I had wondered if those plastic cups would fit in a jar- now I know! Good tip.

7. Posted January 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM | Permalink

I featured this posting on my blog today, you can find it at http://www.evolvewithmary.com. I really love your blog. Thanks for share such creative ideas, my readers loved it.

8. Jayme Thomason
    Posted January 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

I am just dipping my toe into mason jar meals, and so far I am loving it. Thank you so much! I can tell this is a labor of love.

9. Posted February 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

I am just learning about this. I was wondering where I can get these jars and how many oz they should be. Thanks!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

Hi, you can get jars in any super store or go to fillmorecontainer.com
      I like the widemouth pint jars, the widemouth half pint jars, and quart jars.

10. Linda
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

Last year I was making the salad in a jar and enjoyed them very much, but I don’t know how I missed the MJMs. Just stumbled onto your site and its ….WOW. Since them I have been making all sorts of snacks in the 4 oz jars. Caprise salads, hard boiled eggs with hummus and my personal favorite – olives, marinated eggplant, cheese, bits of salami, capers etc. anything that will go great with a glass of wine and few crackers. Best part is portion control I have all the savory delights that I crave and do not have go through each individual container to make a snack just for myself. We’re leaving for a road trip tomorrow and I have prepared a few jars to take and enjoy with a martini in the motel room each evening. Waht a great idea and thank you.

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

Linda so happy you like the ideas!

11. Linda
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

oh and one more idea – I love cheese jalapeno stuffed hotdog with chili – I know….I know but they are soooooo good. However sometimes I’m too lazy to go and even open a can of chili to warm (I put in long days) and I wind up just grabbing from the frig and eating too much o something that really wasn’t satisfying. So I cut up a hotdog and layered it in a pint jar with Nalley’s chili – all do is pop them in the microwave and I have a pretty darn good last minute meal. Is it healthy? honestly? NO…..but sometimes late at night, you just need some comfort.

12. Posted August 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

Our family has been a fan of mason jar meals for a while now but recently discovered how fantastic they are on a camping trip. Snugly lined up in a cooler; jars of salads, desserts, fruits snacks and treats cushioned with plastic grocery bags and topped with ice. We enjoyed many fresh, non-soggy meals all weekend that were the envy of the other campers. Clean up was a breeze too. We rinsed the jars, screwed the lids back on and returned them to the cooler to go in the dish washer when we got home. Ready to cook meals also made campsite cooking fast and easy. Everything that could be assembled ahead and jarred, was! We have never had a broken jar!!

13. kathy walton
    Posted September 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

love the website and salads. I have grandkids that I would like to get started with the MJM. Think they would love them, but the mason jars are heavier then empty plastic peanut butter jars and the peanut butter jars are unbreakable. Any reason that we can’t sometimes substitute the plastic for the real thing?

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

Use whatever you have for the salads. We just switched schools and the jars do get heavy if the kids can’t get to their lockers and have to carry them around all day. I think your grands will love them no matter if it’s plastic or glass! Have fun!!

14. Faith
    Posted December 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

Dear Robin,
    I feel a very much “Ask Abby” vibe going on right now.
    Anyways, I have this friend who lives on an island off of Spain (I’m not entirely sure where, the island is Las Palmas De Gran Canaria) and I would like to send him an “Amercanized” gift package for Christmas. In this gift package, along with cereal and a few silly toys, I’m debating sending him a mason jar desert (like doing cookie mix or brownie mix, etc) but it can take 10 -12 days for priority shipping to Spain, and then however long to get from Spain to the island (to be honest I probably haven’t researched as much as I should have as I am writing this) Priority mail to Spain, with how the heavy the package risks being already, could be spendy, and then adding the jar would add to the price. I would like to know if you have any ideas or suggestions I could do, such as just scraping the mason jar altogether or if there are any alternative ideas I could use? If there are any special things I need to keep in mind when sending the jar, if I do send one, and any precautions I should take? (Sorry for all the questions)
    Thanks in advance!
    Faith

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Faith,
      I think the USPS has a flat rate box, it’s a white priority mail box and will be pricey but not based on weight. Check it out and see if they do. The jar will be heavy and need to be wrapped in bubble wrap to avoid breakage. It will take some time to get there so throw in a few New Year treats! Futbol (soccer) is big there, maybe a few tiny USA flags, all in good fun. I know peanut butter treats in Europe are scarce- so Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups, Peanut Butter M&M’s, also our friends miss Dorito’s, go figure;) We have a friend who vacations on that island all the time. Lots of Germans there. Maybe some American spice blends, like BBQ, Hot and Spicy, Etc, some of your favorites that are typically American. He can use them when he grills and they are light. Other typical American ideas to add to your package- a red bandana, Popcorn is rare in Europe (maybe a small bag of regular or kettle corn), some mustache stickers, cocktail napkins. Hope this helps! Have fun!!

15. Vicki
    Posted January 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM | Permalink

It is unsafe to bake in a mason jar. They are not designed to handle dry heat. The manufacturer will flat out tell you that it is not safe. It is not responsible to post these and get people to try it. Once again it is not safe.