Who Has an Opinion?

Knowing that most people do not like change I still did it anyway. I needed a change. Changing seasons, wardrobes, and hairdos are a part of life and now so is my blog header. I stare at that cooktop many times per day and I wanted something else, something new and special, a different thing about Big RK that I enjoy. So I changed the header. Maybe it was too much too fast, done without warning, or a care to how you felt about it. The shame of it all. I need your help. Does the new header identify with the emotion, thoughts, and content of this blog? Do I sound needy? Am I whining too much. OK, I’ll stop.

Here is the old header, the one you have visited since this blog was born. Sniffle. It is of my cooktop with all the tea and coffee things to the right and knives, salt and pepper to the left. The tea kettle is always in that one spot ready for tea. I feel that other than the kitchen table, the cooktop is were all the action takes place. At least the good action. If it were a picture of the sink, that would be bad action. Dishes. Shudder. Click on the pictures for a better look.

Below is the new header. The red drapes that hang in the BRK were designed by me and sewn by my mother-in-law. I love bees and Fleur De Lis, they seem so royal together. The pottery on the left is part of my Polish pottery collection. I have decorated my entire kitchen with it. I picked up most of the pieces on my jaunts to Poland while living in Germany. Each piece has a story to tell. Finally the quote, “a regular gathering of distinguished guests.” That is the essence of my home, a gathering place for our distinguished guests. I feel that way about my blog too. When you visit the BRK, you are my most distinguished guest.

I have put a poll on my side bar so let me know your thoughts. Or just give constructive and gentle (please) criticism in the comments box.

If you have been visiting me a while, thank you, I appreciate your loyalty and comments, but have you subscribed to my RSS? It’s right there on the side bar, go ahead, it will make you feel so much better. By doing so, you will be alerted when I make a new blog entry. If you are new to my blog, welcome. Come on in a sit a spell. If you like what you see, subscribe as well. What is RSS?

Thank you for letting me use you all today. Nothing like free labor. As Bartles and Jaymes used to say, “thank you for your support.”

UPDATE- Although the poll results displayed the new header with a 3 point lead over the old header at close, I received emails, phone calls, and gossip that the old header was truly favored. I went back to the old with the new quote and font color. I like it. I like red and gold together, very nice. Thank you for voting and helping me define the feel of this site. Oh, you gals at Dad’s office thanks for voting! Someday maybe I’ll hear from you.

1. j*amy
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 6:44 AM | Permalink

i like it! and when i have time, i’ll read the rest of this post ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Hedonistin
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 7:03 AM | Permalink

I like the oriental touch of your new header. The drapery conjures a kind of mysterious flair.

3. nicisme
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 8:19 AM | Permalink

I like the old one better, it makes me think of food & cooking more.
    BUT, having said that, if you hadn't had the photo of the old one in this post, I wouldn't have remembered it and would have said that the new one is great!

4. Anonymous
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

I like the old picture better but with the new words “Big Red Kitchen” “A regular gathering of distinquished guests.” Mom

5. Sabrina
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

I’m with Mom on this one. I like the change. However, The first pic sums up the site better.

6. Karen Downing
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

The new one looks fancier to me, while the original looks more homey. And I’ve had you in my reader for a while now.

7. melly~
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

I’m probably one of your newer readers so take this for what it is.
    The old header seemed as though I was being welcomed right into your kitchen. And while the same warm welcoming elements are in the new header, you had to explain the meaning there as where the original speaks for itself.

Bottom line though, it’s your blog and you can do what you like. If someone stops visiting because they don’t like your new curtains they weren’t good friends anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Carry on.

8. Nicole
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM | Permalink

I am the first one to love change. I will rearrange a whole room by myself because it feels so good to have a change.

My favorite part of the new one is “A regular gathering of distinquished guests.” Love it! But I also like the bees and fleur de lis. Very French.

The old one seems more you… to me but that is the only way I know you.

I suppose I think you should go with the new one for a while but you could put the old one down on the bottom as a page element. Then switch with seasons or whatever.

But that’s just my 2ยข! Like Melly says, “It’s your blog…” I am here for the food and company myself so I will come no matter what you’re wearing!

9. Tanya
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM | Permalink

Well, for one, it’s your blog, so you should have whatever the heck you want up there! Secondly, I like the new header! I liked the old one, too, but change is good. And I’ve had you in my RSS reader for a while now. Your blog is one of my favorite food-related blogs out there!

10. redforever
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM | Permalink

Count me in as someone who wants the old one back. It just seemed that with that type of pic, you were the type of person who would welcome others in your kitchen for a chat while you worked.

Sorry, but to me, the new pic conjurs up images of bandanas around a cowboy’s neck:(((

11. I'm just the typist
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM | Permalink

I agree with your mum!

12. Tiffany
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM | Permalink

Hi! I’m a new reader to your blog, so I have to start by saying great blog!
    To address the issue of the header, I like the old one better. It says “kitchen.” From a design standpoint, the text is more readable too. It really pops out on the old header, while the new design all kind of blends together.
    Regardless, I plan to stop by again soon!

13. Kate
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

I’m with Mom. I love the old header, but the new caption and tag line. I like the new pic very much, and the images you’re using when describng the photo. But I admit, the red wall and cooktop draw me in closer so I can peek in your skillet.

14. Grace
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

this is a mighty tough call, as both as very nicely done. i should really change mine too, but as you said, most people don’t like change, and i’m one of ’em. ๐Ÿ™‚ now excuse me whilst i vote.

15. Anonymous
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

Love the new picture. Great shot. The words on the title are a bit hard to read but I love the saying. Do as you wish. I will continue to follow and brag to others about my sister-in-law’s incredible website. Love you.

Posted July 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

j*amy-ok you busy girl, weddings, cook outs, parties, church fun. I am going to start giving you the Cliff Notes to my blog. Thanks for always stopping in j*amy!!

Hedonistin- My son said the same exact thing!

nicisme- Thank you so much. I think most people are liking the old one!

Anon- Ma! Who asked you!! Tee Hee! I like the quote too. Love you!

Sabrina- Always sucking up to my mom! Yup I think to cook top is me, hot and sizzling!!

Karen- Thanks for being a subcriber! I’m glad to know I have more than just my bother. oh boy this is going to go to my mom’s head!

Melly- thanks for commenting! Yeah I think the first says “cook with me”

Nicole- You are such a diplomat, I love it. Thanks for being with me from almost the begining. I always love your comments. I’m in my gym clothes right now. This is the only thing I can do in any outfit!

Tanya- Thanks for reading my blog! I thrive on knowing that others from around this country are visiting little ole me. Your desserts and knitting are always wonderful.

redforever- Yippe-ki-yay! Some else thought they were bandana-ish too! The old is winning, well at least in the comment section!

I’mjustthetypist- another vote for mom! Oh I hope she isn’t seeing this, I will never live it down! Thanks for stopping in.

Tiffany- thanks for finding me and taking time to put in your opinion! It’s a food blog so you are right it should look as such!!

Kate- Woo hoo! Another mom vote. She is rockin! Yup that is the purpose to peak into my skillet, oven, bowls, just not the sink. Yikes!

Grace- Thanks for being such a loyal reader and I always look forward to your comments! Thanks for voting.

Anon- Ellen dahling! Ist that you oh-fellow-collector-of-Polish-Pottery? Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. Hi Mac and Nick! Lurve you guys.

17. Michelle
    Posted July 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM | Permalink

I love the new header…very different and creative! And the new header seems to express your personality a bit better too.