Worth Writing Home About

RINDY’S CHICKEN FRANCESE AND BAKED HONEY ONIONS

I have had a busy week. Needed to write a test for my students, shop for a catering gig I have this Saturday at a B & B, and complete all the usual housekeeping. To top it off, while I was driving home in the rain yesterday, my wiper went flying off! It was a maddening drive to the car fixer shop.

So let me tell ya what happened. I bought all the ingredients to make Rindy’s $20 Trader Joe’s meal, because it looked so good, but had only 30 minutes to make it. Her meal if done right takes an hour. So I put my short order cook hat on and did what all short orders do. Cooked fast. I made her Chicken Francese according to her instructions but did her Onions on high heat, covered in a skillet. Cooked those puppies down until the sauce was reduced into a thick savory “caramel”. Poured those onions right over top of the chicken then poured that whole entire skillet over a big platter of pasta. Wee! Thanks Rindy! Gourmet in 30 minutes flat. Never even got to her Green Beans. So sad. But I did have some garden tomatoes topped with fresh basil and my Creamy Italian Dressing.

HERSHEY’S ESPECIALLY DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE

Another great thing happened this week. Himself had a birthday and we made a cake. I had a container of Special Dark Cocoa and wondered how it would be in a cake. What do you know, a recipe for a chocolate cake and frosting was on the back. Now if you know me I can never following baking instructions. I always add or subtract ingredients. Here is generally what I do for all made from scratch cake recipes.

1.Always add an extra egg.
2.Use milk, evap milk, buttermilk, or cream instead of water. I used Evaporated Milk this time.
3.Butter instead of oil.
4.For chocolate cakes I still add the vanilla but also add 2 T. espresso powder.
5.If I have any, I will throw in a dollop of sour cream.
6.This particular recipe called for boiling water to be added at the end, I did not change that.

I gave ZuZu some decorations and he put it all on the cake. You can see the golfer had a strong swing as he is leaning and did eventually fall over soiling his bottom which really gave us the sillies. Poor plastic man pooped his pants. We didn’t wipe it off and of course were hysterical while signing “Happy Birthday.” I’m immature, I know.

PS- See the inside of the cake below? It is not my camera, it is really that dark! Click on the picture for details. Have a GREAT WEEKEND!

Pop on over to Rindy’s site to see some more Western Supper Club. I know you maybe sick of it by now, but I haven’t seen which pictures of me she will be putting up. So this is your chance to see me in some compromising positions, maybe, I hope not. Umph.

1. Rindy R
    Posted September 26, 2008 at 7:01 AM | Permalink

That cake looks SINFUL – and you know I’m a sinner! I want some right now with my morning coffee!
    I love the addition of the pasta to the Chicken French – Any way to get more of that yummy sauce!
    Tell “Himself” – Happy Birthday!

2. redforever
    Posted September 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

I always add an extra egg too or else substitute a jumbo sized egg, which is usually what I buy these days.

I have found that they must be grading eggs for size differently, anyone else notice this? What used to be a medium sized egg is what they now classify as large? What used to be a large egg is what they now classify as an extra large? In other words, you are getting less egg than you used to.

So to compensate, I add more eggs or else use jumbo sized eggs. I find if I don’t do this, you end up with a cake, cookie or baked product that is dry without a nice crumb.

And yeah, I always used a milk product for water as well, just ends up moister and better tasting.

I used to try all kinds of substitutions when baking, like maybe add apple sauce or some equivalent product instead of all the oil. Well, after trying that for a brownie recipe, my husband’s remarks were “you don’t have to make that for me again”

So if I do baking, which I don’t do as much as I used to, I use the products that I feel give the best taste. Perhaps it is not as healthy but it at least tastes good if you are going to go through all that trouble. And I just compensate by baking less, usually for occasions when we have company.

3. Tanya
    Posted September 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

There are no words to describe how sinful that chocolate cake looks. THAT is how a chocolate cake should look! How did it taste?

4. Alexa
    Posted September 26, 2008 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday to “Himself” 😉
    Funny.. and cute. I enjoyed reading your post and looking at your great meal. Have a great week Robin Sue!

5. grahamstravelblog
    Posted September 26, 2008 at 10:21 PM | Permalink

That cake does look good but I disagree with Tanya. There is a word to describe how sinful that cake looks and that's sinful. Can't wait to hear how the B&B gig turns out.

6. That Girl
    Posted September 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM | Permalink

I love these 20 dollar TJ meals!

7. RecipeGirl
    Posted September 27, 2008 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

How funny… I just got a container of that really black cocoa in the mail yesterday from King Arthur flour. I can’t wait to start experimenting with it. I’m thinkin’ Oreos!

That cake looks great!!!

8. Maggie
    Posted September 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

That frosting looks sinful! Hilarious story about the golfer’s “little accident”.

9. Lisa
    Posted September 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM | Permalink

That cake looks fantastic! You can never beat a chocolate cake for celebrating a birthday and your additions sound perfect.

Posted September 28, 2008 at 8:21 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone. The cake was great and tastes delicous and is very dense and moist. Follow my additions, I have been doing it this way for years and have always had sucess!

11. Grace
    Posted September 28, 2008 at 4:44 PM | Permalink

yes, chicken and onions sound good, but MY GRACIOUS, that cake! can you say chocolate coma? i can say it, and i’d gladly enter into one for a slab of that cake. 🙂

12. Lori
    Posted September 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM | Permalink

Hey I see some Polish pottery in your pic above. Love that piece!

13. Lori
    Posted September 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM | Permalink

You cake is amazing! Love that chocolate! My kids would so love a piece of this cake, yeah, and me too!

Posted September 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM | Permalink

Grace- It is really coma inducing!

Lori- Thanks for the compliments. It is fun to find others who like Polish Pottery too!

15. Kevin
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM | Permalink

Those honey baked onions sound good!