Two Ingredients Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

You heard me. Two ingredients. Count them. One. Two. When my friend Bobby told me about this cake and that I would loooove it, I had to try it right away. It starts out with a cake mix *gasp* beat with a can of pumpkin filling. That’s it. The batter color was beautiful and since it had no raw eggs I got to taste that thick and creamy batter without fear. Delish. Bobby said that I could use any cake mix I wanted and that chocolate was delicious. I still needed to bake this up before I could say for sure that it would be a success. I have done all those fat free cakes in the past with apple sauce in place of oil and had to swallow tough and gummy cakes, pretending (hoping) each bite improved. When I removed this cake from the oven I was pleased with the beautiful color and texture. After it cooled I wanted a nice glaze, something with spunk. I thought to make up a glaze with apple cider to enhance the pumpkin flavor. The cider glaze was over the top good and I will make it again for other Fall-time cakes. After dinner last night, I served this cake and it was a hit with my family. It had the texture of a sponge cake and was not chewy at all. The taste was nice and I could not really distinguish a distinct pumpkin flavor but a nice flavor all the same. If you are in a hurry and need a quick, pretty, and tasty cake, try this one.

Pumpkin Cake
One Cake mix- I used yellow
1 -15 ounce can 100% pumpkin- puree, not pumpkin pie filling

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl mix cake mix with pumpkin filling using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Serves 8.

Apple Cider Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T. apple cider
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice

In a small bowl blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour over Pumpkin Cake letting it drizzle down the sides of the cake. Let set before covering.

Thanks Bobby!

UPDATE- Read through the comments and see how others are making this cake. Carol made hers into soft cookies! Cathy from Noble Pig loved this cake too!

Update 9/28/11- Just made these the other day baked up in 8 (8 ounce) wide-mouth mason jars for my kids’ lunchboxes. Under baked them a few minutes so they would be a bit puddingy and kept it really simple by sprinkling them with powdered sugar. They loved these!

You may also like my Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

1. Crystal
    Posted November 27, 2014 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

I used a cake mix with a 29 ounce pumpkin puree mix, can I just but another box of cake mix and even it out to get 16 servings instead of 8?

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

Use a bigger pan and I think you will be ok, cook times may be different?

2. laurie Williams
    Posted September 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM | Permalink

Foe glazed. Two tablespoons apple cider vinegar or. Apple cide juice????

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 10, 2015 at 2:55 AM | Permalink

Apple Cider Juice.

3. Posted October 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM | Permalink

I CAN NOT WAIT TO TRY THIS RECEP. THANKS

4. Margaret Caldwell
    Posted October 25, 2015 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

I just made this and it is all gone before I got to try it. My guests loved it and had thought I spent a lot of time making it. I am going to make more…thanks for the easy recipe.

5. Mary
    Posted November 18, 2015 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

I added l/2 cup of water to the mix and used a box of spice cake mix. My friend also tried it with carrot cake mix. both were very good.

Withe the spice cake mix you could use only powdered sugar and cider for the glaze.

6. Lisa
    Posted December 18, 2015 at 4:06 AM | Permalink

The yellow mix with pumpkin didn’t work well. I made small bundt cakes. I tasted one and it seemed to missing something! I just to put on powered sugar. Help!

7. Posted January 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

anyone have high altitude suggestions? not “that” high- 5000′ above sea level. maybe follow the cake info on the box? idk. please & thanks tons! 🙂

~K

8. Ann B
    Posted May 4, 2017 at 4:49 AM | Permalink

I make it with spice cake mix so no spices need to be added. I also use a little water and make them into cupcakes, no glaze, we just gobble them up!

9. goldie
    Posted May 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM | Permalink

how is this weight watchers friendly???

5 Trackbacks

1. By Pumpkin Pecan Crunch Cake on April 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM

[…] Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze from Big Red Kitchen […]

2. By Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake | Hope it sticks on September 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM

[…] Two Ingredient Cake –>    […]

3. By Honey Bun Cake | Never Enough Thyme on October 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM

[…] Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze from Big Red Kitchen […]

4. […] Zach, who loves anything pumpkin, said so.  All the credit goes to blogger Big Red Kitchen for her Two- Ingredient Pumpkin Cake.  For my own twist, I added pumpkin pie spice to the batter and changed the cider glaze to a […]

5. By Pumpkin Cake Cookies | The Fiction Lane on October 5, 2016 at 12:14 AM